HybridZ

Interesting find while rebuilding Headlight Combo switch

tkach

As I was disassembling my Headlight Combo switch one of the contact plates fell out. Upon further inspection I found out why. The retaining clips located on the that hold the toggling contact plate in place was damaged and it was missing one of the vertical "restraints/pins". Now I cannot reassemble the switch because the plate will just continue to fall out, is there any way to replace/repair the metal base that plate sits on?

hdcs_thumb.JPG

Solder if done properly will hold. Epoxy might work OK also. Just make sure there is a good point of electrical contact.

Personally, I would find a peice of metal in the garage and make the part over again in a vice using a file and a drill. The I would drill out the old rivet, and rivet in the new part I made.

I don't think these contacts are copper or aluminum. If I remember correctly those are some kind of pot metal steel and solder won't work, that's why it's riveted. If it's broken you should make a new one from some scrap metal as cygnus recommends. If it's come loose from the pop rivet, get a pop rivet gun and a properly sized rivet and pop it back in. Either way you'll need a pop rivet gun and rivets. A bolt or screw will catch the switch mechanism and possibly cause more damage. Good luck with it! Might be worth while just to ask around for another switch. I don't have one for a Z, but I have one or two spare for a ZX. Unfortunately I'm not due home until next month from Iraq.