HybridZ

Freeze plugs and other engine rebuild ?'s

chb280z

I am in the middle of rebuilding my l28 and am having a hard time getting the front and rear freeze plugs out even with drilling the hole and trying to pull them out all the screw does is pull through the plug. Also while i have it down this far should i go ahead and pull the oil gallery plugs or just let them go. If you think i should pull them what is the easiest way and what all do i need to reinstall new slugs? Any help greatly appreciated. Also if there is anything else i would know while it is down this far let me know and anything i should have done at the machine shop. The overall condition looks good the cylinders still have the factory cross hatching even after 170k mi or 270k mi IDK. Anyways I am new at this engine building thing so all help appreciated.

• Administrators
NOOOOOOOO, not FREEZE plugs

:mrgreen:

chb280z, If you take a large diameter punch and wack the edge of the core plug inward, it will usually rotate out, or at least enough you can get a grip on it or pry underneath it.

• Administrators

Don't take this personal, the term "freeze plug" is totally an inaccurate term for the CORE PLUG, and for me any how, is just one of those never ending saga's. This is more for the rest of the membership that have followed my rants on that subject over the years here, as I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it.

I am in the middle of blah blah blah.. freeze plugs blah blah blah.. blah blah blah...shock.gif

I give?!?! UNCLE!!! Freeze plugs it is then. faint.gif

The core/freeze plugs (How's that for politically correct diplomacy?) are easily removed by using a heavy screwdriver or punch. Just punch a hole in the center of the plug and twist it outward. It the plug moves back into the block you can grab it with pliers and pull it outward. If you plan to have the block dipped for cleaning, I would also remove the oil galley plugs. They are removed in the same manner. Your machinist can install new ones or you can do it yourself with the correct tool or by improvising by using a plug sized socket to tap them into place. It's not rocket science

Thanks for the info about the CORE PLUGS but i didn't think i could drive the ones on the ends in because they are so close to the cylinder wall. Also i think that the freeze / core debate holds true to where you live. Because before i started tearing this one down i guess it popped one because there was a rubber stopper in it. But for those of you in more temperate climates where the threat of freezing does not exist i guess that the term freeze plugs would have no reference for the meaning. But here in the middle east (Virginia) we get all the fun weather 110+ F and 10- F so here we do use that term. Anyway is there anything else that should be done while it is apart. And what are your thought on the 3 stone hones VS. the flex hone?

• Administrators
….

Also i think that the freeze / core debate holds true to where you live. Because before i started tearing this one down i guess it popped one because there was a rubber stopper in it. But for those of you in more temperate climates where the threat of freezing does not exist i guess that the term freeze plugs would have no reference for the meaning. …

The debate has been covered for pages on this forum. The link below covers that topic with tests, arguments, pics of busted blocks with core plugs still intact, testimonies, links, etc, of how and why Freeze plugs are NOT freeze plugs, but are indeed Core plugs, Soft Plugs, or Expansion plugs. If you are bored and want some entertainment and to learn some history on the core plug and how the misnomer freeze plug came to be give it a read.

Click ME for one of the infamous Freeze Plug threads.

OUCH!

I cracked up when he pulled out a roll of plugs in baggies at DNI.

I love that guy! lol

Evan

So Garret is a freeze plug dealer? No, I didn't say a “Freeze dried drug dealer”, I said a “Freeze plug dealer”! Even has a little baggy stash of freeze plugs for his own consumption? PLUGGY!!! :lmao::lmao:

Ok i give core plugs it is. :hail:So now how do i get the front and rear ones out? I didn't think i could use a punch w/ the closeness of the cylinder wall. That is how i got the other 9 out but the ones on the end are giving me trouble. HELP! Thanks.:banghead:

I didn't think i could use a punch w/ the closeness of the cylinder wall. That is how i got the other 9 out but the ones on the end are giving me trouble. HELP! Thanks.:banghead:

Slidehammer with the 'screw end' attachment. I have also seen people drill a hole and use the slidehammer with the 'hook' attachment to pluck them out.

Good Luck removing those core plugs.:lol:

Slidehammer with the 'screw end' attachment. I have also seen people drill a hole and use the slidehammer with the 'hook' attachment to pluck them out.

Good Luck removing those core plugs.:lol:

Yeah Tony, your talking about those crappy slide hammers for pulling out dents right? You can get those things cheap! Good idea.

Evan

I am also having the same problems with the front and rear core plugs. I had used a punch and hammer on the front one but all it did was push it back. So now I am kinda stuck and if I try to drill a hole I think the drill bit will go through more then just the plug.