HybridZ

Fuel cell/battery placement opinions

Hey everyone,

Need some opinions/criticism. Planning an LS1/T56 swap.

i'm planning placement of a fuel cell (still not decided on which one) as well as relocating the battery underneath the rear deck. I've seen lot's of folks drop fuel cells in but have only found one with both the fuel cell and battery below the deck (this one had the battery on one side/driver and a small tank on the passebger side).

I'd like to most of the mass towards the center of the car and over the rear driveline as much as possible.

So, here's the question:

I have been considering either:

Putting the fuel cell directly behind the diff and placing the batttery behind it?

or

just the opposite... Battery behind the diff and fuel cell close to the rear end?

Obvious problems with the fuel cell being closer to the rear end is a hard collision from behind and more wieght in the rear of the car with a full tank.

Would ya'll think it's better for the fuel cell to be in the front or the battery to be in the front?

Buddy of mine just suggested putting the battery on the passenger side and mounting the fuel cell at the center. Battery to help offset drivers considerable weight!! Fuel cell placed as close to the diff as possible.

Thoughts?

Adding or moving weight outside of the axles increase a vehicle's yaw intertia (search on that term). On a 240Z, unless you're willing to give up the passenger seat area, a reasonable sized fuel cell needs to go behind the diff. Make sure there's enough clearance between the diff and the cell to fit a ratchet to remove the cover nuts. The battery should be installed somewhere within the car's wheelbase.

I did this on my 280Z... I put the fuel cell immediately behind the diff and the battery on the passenger side right next to the fuel cell. The only drawback I didn't really consider is that I now don't have room for a dual exhaust on the passenger side!

demideon,

you have any pictures of your setup. i tried clicking on your yahoo link but it's saying yahoo pics has been shut down.

Guess my space for the dual exhaust would be limited by the width of the fuel cell I choose. I've seen them where they are nearly square and others that are longer/rectangular. Suppose if I were to choose the rectangular version and install it perpendicular to the rear driveline then that may give me the room i need for the dual exhaust. Puts a bit more weight towards the passenger side.

Keeping the battery withinn the wheelbase isn't much of an option at this point. I'd really like to have it out of the engine bay to help redistribute weight gain from the LS1. Minor (about 30lbs) in know, but i figured pushing the battery weight to the back would help to get things back to near stock weight distribution.... not to mention the engine being set back farther than the I6.

I've already promised the wife long "slow" drives down the Blue Ridge parkway so the passenger floor pan is out of the question!!

Anyone with photo's/ideas of below deck instalations in the tool bin areas?

I like that diamond plate look! Must be heavy though.

Demideon,

hadn't even considered building above the rear pan like you did. I've been considering options to have a lid that would seal over the fuel cell and battery compartment. I was considering something like you see on hatchbacks where a hatch cover lifts along with the tailgate door when it's opened. maybe even just have a hinged door with a latch. i was thinking I would have o drop the fuel cell and battery a bit lower than flush with the rear pan to accomadate a cover like this. Your way of building up rather than droping it down may be a solution to that!

Thanks!

It is super heavy stuff.

It was / seemed like my best option other than welding in a box for the cell.

All said and done though, difference in weight is minimal.

The tank and material i cut and removed vs. fuel cell, fittings, and plate is only I think a 12 lb weight gain.

I installed an Optima battery using part of the passenger side tool bin and part extending out into the interior. It took some work to build a mount and cover, but I think it came out really good. It doesn't affect the space for the passenger as the seat can still go all the way back. I don't have any pic's to show you of my install. Prior to the Optima I used an Odyssey battery which actually fits under the passenger's seat. It worked out pretty good, but the battery isn't very powerful.

I din't install a fuel cell, but I used a nylon LS1 tank and it allowed me to use dual exhaust as well. The tank works great and the fuel bucket with the fuel pump works great as well. You can see some pic's on my web site.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ress1lhb/barts570z/id13.html