HybridZ

Project Datsun 810 has begun

S30TRBO

So after much pondering and after selling the Versa I have decided to keep the 810 for good!! This past weekend the 810 was put up on jack stands and the tear-down has begun.

Front Suspension

I have started on the front suspension and will work my way to the rear. Since the front calipers are no longer available (NLA) from Nissan, in working with Steve Golik (zcarnut) another 810 owner I sourced Brembo Nissan Maxima vented front rotors and Toyota 4X4 4 piston front calipers. The front rotors will need to be machined to match the lug pattern and rotor hat opening to accept the 810 front hub. I also sourced Addco front Nissan Maxima front sway bar which is an upgrade to the 810. Also Energy Suspension urethane lower control arm, tc rod, and tie-rod end link dust covers. The Earl’s store in Lawndale California built the stainless steel braided lines from Mr. Golik’s specs.

Rear Suspension

Again many thanks to Mr. Golik! I sourced a complete 280ZX Turbo rear suspension assembly. The rear suspension on the 810 is identical to the S130 or 280ZX. I purchased new Brembo 280ZX Turbo rear rotors and remanufactured 280ZX Turbo rear calipers. I also purchased Addco 280ZX Turbo rear sway bar, Nissan cross member bushings and Energy Suspension lower control arm urethane bushings. This will give me rear disc brakes and rear sway bar.

The entire suspension will be power coated and the under belly will be POR-15.

More to come…

DSCF4116.jpg

More Pictures:http://photobucket.com/79_Datsun_810

Edited by BRAAP

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that you're keeping your 810. I contemplated selling mine a couple of years ago and I'm glad I didn't. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them but there aren't many of them around. Mine has 122K miles on it now and still going strong as a daily driver. I put a 83 ZX five speed in it last year after having some problems with the original trans.

Glad to hear that you're keeping your 810. I contemplated selling mine a couple of years ago and I'm glad I didn't. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them but there aren't many of them around. Mine has 122K miles on it now and still going strong as a daily driver. I put a 83 ZX five speed in it last year after having some problems with the original trans.

Thanks Stephen!

I just picked up a ZX transmission to get rid of this clunky automatic trans (thanks again for the pedal set).

I still need to track down some odds and ends. I'll shoot you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a long and tiring weekend the following was completed:

• Front and Rear Suspension gutted

• All parts disassembled and ready for degreasing, bushing removal then powder coating.

Old 810 Suspension:

DSCF4207.jpg

What's left of the stock exhaust

DSCF4127.jpg

DSCF4124.jpg

DSCF4129.jpg

Ready for Powder coating

DSCF4233.jpg

Front Suspension gone

DSCF4236.jpg

Rear suspension gone

DSCF4241.jpg

Stock fuel pump removal..yuck

DSCF4228.jpg

Next weekend’s list:

• Remove automatic transmission

• Remove hard lines and shielding

• Position motor on jack stands and brace

• Remove front cross member

• Remove bumpers

More Pictures:http://photobucket.com/79_Datsun_810

Edited by BRAAP

I'm glad to see there are others out there. We just started our restoration of a 1979 datsun 810 2 dr. coupe. Beginning tear down now, removed the interior today. Have already removed engine components, and getting ready to pull engine and all suspension. Will start with media blast and powder coated frame. pictures to follow as we figure out to use this thing.

Chris, I'm glad you found your way here. I answered your pm. There aren't many others out there that own 810s, especially 2drs. Wherever I take mine, it's always the only one there. In the 5+ years I've owned mine, I've only seen three others on the road, one 4dr and two station wagons. Four 810 2dr. owners on one site is probably the largest gathering you'll ever see. Looks like mine will be the only 'stock' one.

Wow 4 810 2dr, now we just need to hear from Steve.

Chris nice of you to stop by as well. Please start another thread of your build and I know all of us 810 and hybridZ owners will look forward to seeing it.

BTW, if you guys want the stock rear suspension and stock front sway bar let me know.

Nah, the only thing I still really need is a good pair of pillar garnish moldings. Joe, I still say your car is a 79 like the rest of ours and the 78 on your title is due to a DMV error when the car was originally registered. 78s would have round headlights and there weren't any 2dr. w/round headlights. There were a handful of them built late enough to be 1980 models but none early enough to be 78 models. (according to all I've read and seen)

Wow 4 810 2dr, now we just need to hear from Steve.

Hello guys,

I am getting ready to pull out my engine on the 810 so I can proceed with the rack-and-pinion/steering column swap project. This will also give me an opportunity to paint and detail the engine compartment. But first I’ll think I will drive the 810 over to the Walter Mitty Race at Road Atlanta on May 3.

I had to change my ignition switch out (it was intermittent) and I just sent my spare dashboard to Just Dashes for recovering. I noticed a crack starting on the one that is presently in the car.

..78’s would have round headlights and there weren't any 2dr. w/round headlights…

I actually met someone with a 1979 two door that had round headlights. The owner preferred the appearance of the round lights and just swapped them out (along with the earlier grill).

I had to change my ignition switch out ( it was intermittent) and I just sent my spare dashboard to Just Dashes for recovering. I noticed a crack starting on the one that is presently in the car.

I actually met someone with a 1979 two door that had round headlights. The owner preferred the appearance of the round lights and just swapped them out (along with the earlier grill).

I bought the last two brown dash pads that OEM Surplus had about three years ago. Put one in the car and stored one. The only other color he had was burgundy. He probably still has those. The only body change I'd ever want to make would be the thinner Australian bumpers but I've more or less given up on that idea.

Is that the one that some kid in L.A. 'pimped out'?

Yes, it was the kid I sold it to. At the time I had the 810 and a 1971 240Z. I sold the 810 to buy suspension parts, wheels, tires, and exhaust stuff for the 240Z. The I sold the 240Z to buy suspension parts, wheels, and tires for my 350Z. See a pattern here? :mrgreen:

I bought the last two brown dash pads that OEM Surplus had about three years ago. Put one in the car and stored one. The only other color he had was burgundy. He probably still has those....

Hello Stephen;

I considered getting the burgundy dash from Norm but I would then have to re-paint it black (to match my interior). The dash presently in my 810 came from a junker and was brown until I painted with SEM black. However, the paint has come off in a couple of places where a front passenger has inadvertently rubbed against it. A re-covered dash would not have this problem. Unfortunately the overall appearance of my 810 is such that minor blemishes are readily noticed (no bragging intended).

I don’t know why the aftermarket “dash cap†suppliers never bothered with a cover for the 810’s. Nissan used the same dashpad on all the 810’s, regardless of body style. You can, however, get a dashcap for a 1979 Datsun truck as well as one for a 1981-85 Maxima.

Nah, the only thing I still really need is a good pair of pillar garnish moldings. Joe, I still say your car is a 79 like the rest of ours and the 78 on your title is due to a DMV error when the car was originally registered. 78s would have round headlights and there weren't any 2dr. w/round headlights. There were a handful of them built late enough to be 1980 models but none early enough to be 78 models. (according to all I've read and seen)

I already talked to DMV and told them it's a '79 not a '78 and that I have documentation to prove it. They said to bring in the title and they can check by the VIN. It all started after I purchased it from the PA dealer and it was already a '78. After doing research and talking to you guys I knew someone screwed up.

So when I am ready to re plate the 810 hopefully it will be in my favor.

Hello guys,

I am getting ready to pull out my engine on the 810 so I can proceed with the rack-and-pinion/steering column swap project.

I just sent my spare dashboard to Just Dashes for recovering. I noticed a crack starting on the one that is presently in the car.

Steve,

Great to hear from you. Could I ask a favor, can you mass produce the rack and pinion swap for us non technically challenged or a write up would be most excellent? :)

I would really like to put a header on the 810 but that steering box is damn big, it would cost me $600-$700 to have one made. :(

Are you guys referring to the dash covers that Norman has or at one time did he have complete dashboards? My dash is literally roached.

What do you all think about collectively putting our 810 information in a spreadsheet as well as spare parts on hand and known junkyards where 810’s lie?

PM me a good email address and I can whip up a spreadsheet and I can email it to you to fill in the blanks. If some of you don’t have Excel or know how to use it let me know in the PM and I can post the questions for you to answer in plain text. I think it would be neat to have something like this to share and hopefully pull more 810 owners out of the woodworks. Ultimately this can be developed into an 810 registry (if there is not one already).

Thoughts?

Could I ask a favor, can you mass produce the rack and pinion swap for us non technically challenged or a write up would be most excellent?

I will do a write up once I get it working. I have actually modified two 810 crossmembers, one with the manual 280ZX rack and another with the power-assisted rack (in case I need the assist).

…I would really like to put a header on the 810 but that steering box is damn big, it would cost me $600-$700 to have one made…

Well, I do not think that going from re-circulating ball to a rack will completely eliminate all the clearance issues you could have with header. True, the large steering box right next to the exhaust manifold is a big problem, but with a rack you need a shaft from the end of the steering column to the rack. That shaft looks like it could interfere with one or more of the primary tubes of a typical aftermarket L-series exhaust header. I think the rack will work with the stock L24E exhaust manifold and headpipe. My primary purpose of using a rack is to improve steering response.

…Are you guys referring to the dash covers that Norman has or at one time did he have complete dashboards? My dash is literally roached...

Norm has the dashpad for sale:

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/picpages/68210-U8702.html

It has studs protruding from the bottom to attach it to your instrument panel. Like Stephen said, it’s burgundy (dark red) in color.

BTW, Norm is selling NOS 810 ac compressors at a great price. I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

BTW, Norm is selling NOS 810 ac compressors at a great price. I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

I know, Ive already got one of his in my car and I rebuilt the other one that I took out for backup. The 810 evaporators are on his 'parts dump' list, however.