HybridZ

Subaru EG33 + My car!

G.I.jonas

Ok guys,i know that there is already a thread pertaining to subaru engine swaps (i even took place in the discussion) but that thread got out of hand,so i'm starting a more specific thread here and now.I really dont want to read more of the same comments so please if you want to comment read this one first and you will know what not to post.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128539&highlight=subaru

All right so i just had a customer come in the shop with an svx for me to repair,he also brought another known running engine as well since he thinks that his engine is crap.Now either I'm going to end up with a running motor or one that needs to be rebuilt,not sure yet but i have a free EG33 any way around.I've been toying with the idea for quite some time and i think i want to do it,yes i realize the engine is too wide for the s30 bay but i have also been planning to tubularize my front end.If i do this i might as well make to fit the engine of my choice, whether agreed upon by the masses or not i think this is the motor.(yes this is an aircraft example)

eg33tt3.jpg

(photo compliments of SDS EFI)

Not only has this motor never been put in a z (i think i can say that safely) but these motors are absolute marvels of engineering and construction, they sound excellent,run forever,are fairly abundant,not too heavy,and are capable of lots of power8-).

Also interesting and handy is the fact that these motors are based on the more common ej engine series 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5,therefor since it is basically a 2.2 with 2 additional cylinders - any 2.2 turbo parts IE pistons,connecting rods can be used in the block to make it turbo-able.

My only concern at this point (aside from the fabrication ahead of me) is clutch and transmission options,i realize anything can be done but i need to do some searching and see if anyone knows something remotely easy in this department.

My z is at this point already a complete abomination by any purist point of veiw so i think that this project fits it just right.Oh, and yes i am definitely leaning towards the tubo side of things here.

For anyone who is a stranger to this motor here are the basic specs:

3.3 lt flat six.

CR 10.1 : 1

Four cam (gear matched).

230 hp - 228 ft lbs

The svx which the engine came in weighed 3600 pounds and did 15 sec 1/4's@ over 90 mph,0-60 in 7ish seconds - not too shabby,and this is in N/A form.

Thoughts? recommendations that aren't horrible?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat sixes are awesome, if you can figure out a way to do it then do it!!! I will be really interested to see how it comes together. Also since its a flat six you can probably get most of the weight really low and far back so it will be interesting to see the effects on handling. If you turboed it then it would be a beast and totally unique which are the two top prioties for me when im building a car.

I think the hardest part would be to find a suitable front suspension for the awd and graphing it onto the (to be) tubular frame. And turboing an engine that already have a 10:1 compression might not be a good thing (though you may already know). If you do, you might have to ONLY run race fuel, since if I recall the svx's only like to run and premium fuel, non turboed.

And in what means are you going to pass inspection? The EG33 was never turboed IIRC. There are A LOT of things to consider when going a swap, especially a awd swap.

Not saying "Don't do it", but just acting as the word of caution. Plan plan plan and measure twice and cut once :P.

I think the hardest part would be to find a suitable front suspension for the awd and graphing it onto the (to be) tubular frame. And turboing an engine that already have a 10:1 compression might not be a good thing (though you may already know). If you do, you might have to ONLY run race fuel, since if I recall the svx's only like to run and premium fuel, non turboed.

And in what means are you going to pass inspection? The EG33 was never turboed IIRC. There are A LOT of things to consider when going a swap, especially a awd swap.

Not saying "Don't do it", but just acting as the word of caution. Plan plan plan and measure twice and cut once :-P.

I am not going with all wheel drive at all,it will be rwd strictly!

Turboing is easy,as i said in my first post the pistons are swappable with those in the ej22 turbo (which means lower compression ratio).

Please dont let this turn into another AWD thread!

Flat sixes are awesome, if you can figure out a way to do it then do it!!! I will be really interested to see how it comes together. Also since its a flat six you can probably get most of the weight really low and far back so it will be interesting to see the effects on handling. If you turboed it then it would be a beast and totally unique which are the two top prioties for me when im building a car.
My thoughts exactly!!

I wanted to do something similar, always wanted to put an EJ in my Z or 240sx, the price of the motor turned me away and the tranny problem is a huge one.

Good Luck to you,

it will be a long unpaved road ahead.

It will be worth it though if you can pioneer the swap!

-Ed

Did suby make a rwd tranny? IIRC they only 2wd ones were fwd. like the xt4 and the earlier rwd (I'm assuming they made them) are to weak to hold up to a flat 6. I could be wrong. My suby history is a bit rusty.

Oh I recall there being a drift impreza with the IC mounted in some weird way on the sides a couple years ago. Might want to look up what they used. I'm to lazy to look it up.:P

yeah they do make RWD conversion kits for the subbies, but the prices is like 3k

Where did you find this? might i ask :-) the tranny issue is the only one i am worried too much about at the moment.I already know that the typical subie awd trans with the front disabled wont hold up for long.

I've read a couple of eg33 turbo threads, it's not that bad to do. The EG and EJ's are similar, but you still want check what works and what doesn't. Not everything does. The SVX's only came in auto, and it wasn't built to handle the NA engine even, They go out all the time. Maybe some of the manual EA boxes fit up? and can have the front's welded up. I don't really recall those details.