HybridZ

Subaru EG33 + My car!

G.I.jonas

I've read a couple of eg33 turbo threads, it's not that bad to do. The EG and EJ's are similar, but you still want check what works and what doesn't. Not everything does. The SVX's only came in auto, and it wasn't built to handle the NA engine even, They go out all the time. Maybe some of the manual EA boxes fit up? and can have the front's welded up. I don't really recall those details.
I have no plan to use the svx trans.But yes the ej transmissions do fit up.This is where im thinking i may go with it.Take a wrx 5 speed which bolts up and weld the center diff which is commonly done to make RWD subarus.The only problem is how much power can they hold like this?? not sure,but judging by some of the outrageous wrx's out there - probably quite a bit.Im thinking at worst i may have to get some beefcake straight cut gears which are expensive or maybe see about getting the stock ej trans gears cryo treated,that should be more than enough either way...i hope :-)

Also i have read a single solitary comment somewhere about 3rd gen rx7 transmissions being close enough that you can modify one to fit,this would be ideal and i need to find out if its true.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm thinking of the EVO transmission, but I thought all you had to do was remove the front halfshafts and weld the front diff and volia you have a RWD only tranny.
Yup that is true with the subaru transmissions as well.My only concern as posted above is the possibility that a turboed eg33 may be too much for the trans without improvement.

The other fun thing is the fact that you can also do the opposite and voila,you have a mid engine and trans axle :-)

Also i have read a single solitary comment somewhere about 3rd gen rx7 transmissions being close enough that you can modify one to fit,this would be ideal and i need to find out if its true.

Mention it, and I vaguely remember reading a letter to some import magazine asking how to convert a Subie, pre turbo series, to RWD. Mention of a RX7 transmission was in there.

Man, I just can't find anything with google. Anyone have any luck?

Here's a quick thread that I found on www.nasioc.com .

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290927

I would say that your best bet would be to search around that site to see what you could find since those guys will do anything to their cars.

They not only mention using an rx7 tranny with a modified driveshaft, but they mention the use of an r200.

I've found quite a bit of info on there over the years when helping my buddy with his sti, so I'm sure that you can find some info there to help you out with this endeavor.

[edit] I'm just going to update this post with any more threads I can find for converting a subie to rwd, so feel free to check back with it.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27532

hmmm

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1336

A $350 RWD conversion kit for subies?

Found this link on another forum:

http://www.rocketrally.com/website/index.php?option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index&cPath=40_182

They have a subie AWD - RWD conversion "kit" that seems to work on either wrx 5 spd or sti 6 spd trannys.

^I would think that too, but at the same time it might be a bit cheaper to stick with the subie trans if possible.

I don't know though to be honest, I guess more reading is in order. I'm off the clock though so someone else is up, lol.

Just thinking about. Wouldn't be easier to just get a rwd tranny from any make and making an adaptor plate or modding the bell housing?
Sure.But it seems to me that there must be something about the rx7 that makes it fairly easy.Now that i have seen multiple posts regarding this being done i am definitely going to put my attention there.Those transmissions aren't that hard to find and there is no doubt that they are more than strong enough.

What i need to find out i whether it would be easier to modify the rx7 bell housing to fit the eg block or use the subaru bell housing and modify it to fit the rx7 trans?

Oh,and good finds there Firm!!!

Well regarding the AWD system...

Ahh you know I'm just kidding.

I think your best option will be converting the subie system to be RWD only. I'd imagine it'd survive a Z car's weight as long as you weren't putting HUGE sticky tires on it... Are you? (kind of a stupid question I know, it should be more a question of when)

The only downside, isn't the subie transmission going to be kinda big and heavy being an AWD design tranny? One of my best friends just bought a STI (first year in the US, was that 04' or 05'?). I can't wait to get to his shop so I can see it on a lift. Thing MOVES amazingly well, though the motor feels way rougher than I'd have thought it'd be. Kinda nice though.

For this entire thread, I was thinking that the WRX engines were transverse. Than last night I realized that they are longitudinal.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4487

Not sure how much of that is dedicated to the AWD system, but the 5sp definately looks fairly narrow, but long.

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/7338_1.JPG

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/0943_10mg.jpg

Just looking at the transmission internals, it looks like the bottom right is the output for the FWD, and the bottom left is the RWD bit. All on the same shaft. Besides snaping or de-splining the output shaft, what link links might there be with a RWD converted transmission?

Yes, it has the extra bulk of the AWD component, but it doesn't appear to add too much. If the RX7 transmission takes alot of custom parts to work, a RWD conversion might be a good way to go.

I think your best option will be converting the subie system to be RWD only. I'd imagine it'd survive a Z car's weight as long as you weren't putting HUGE sticky tires on it... Are you? (kind of a stupid question I know, it should be more a question of when)

Yes i will have huge sticky tires.In case you didnt notice i am the same guy who widened his car by 3" per side :-)

Im pretty sure the rx7 thing is where im going to start my research,at this point i have very little faith in the sube trans holding up after conversion.Most people who do this do it to drift and tire spinning isn't too hard on a tranny.That and i have a friend with an older souped up wrx and he has managed to noodle the input shaft on the same trans i would be using with only 265 hp - now picture two extra cylinders,sticky tires,turbos,and the fact that all torque has to escape via the rear rather than to all 4 in normal form:rolleyes:

There are quite a few guys in the Subie crowd that have switched over to a RWD platform. From the content of your posts, I assume you want a manual transaxle? If not, a quick search gave me this... Adapter Plate I have a few more links to convert to a manual and automatic transaxle, but there on my home machine. I will post some more information later today/tomorrow...