HybridZ

Big Bore VG30DE

Nismo280zEd

Ok guys I'm having some problems sourcing the information I once came upon less than a month ago.

Originally I wannted to TT the NA VG30DE motor I have, upon thinking it would be a bad idea for my daily driver and turbo prices on the rise, I wanted to go NA.

I read somewhere you could punch out the 3.0L to 3.3 or 3.4L with Q45 pistons and this would be good for 250hp to the ground. If this is true, great fantastic sign me up. However I can't find much on this rummor. Stock bore is 87mm and I think Q45 is only 88mm if i'm not mistaken, I can't see gaining that much hp from 1mm over bore.

Also... If you can bore out this block and use another Nissan piston to make more power, how do you deal with the headgasket? I've never done an over bore on a motor. I just want to make like 240 to the ground, this motor is going in my 240sx and it's mainly going to be a drift queen/ daily driver. If I can make that much, that would over come the weight penatly I'll have for swapping in this motor.

-Ed

EDIT

found this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116222

So If I understand this properly, I can use the pistons form the VE33 and put them in my VG30DE and bore it out to accept the (91mm?) pistons from the other motor?

I agree, I'd definitely get it checked first to make sure it will handle that as many say the VG30E(T) won't handle the VG33's bore (I'm pretty sure at least some of the water jackets were designed a little differently in the VG33 for the larger bore).

VG33E - 91.5mm bore, same stroke as all other VG30's

VG34E - VG33E bored to 93mm using 90-96 Q45 VH45DE pistons

It's starting to sound like this motor is a big waste of time and money.

Would a 2mm overbore amount to any decent power gain? I know the ka24de uses 89mm pistons in it. I think the Altima does as well.

Not going to stick a 100lb heavier motor in my car unless I'm getting a substantial power gain from it. Makes sense right?

If you want a NA motor I don't think a VG30DE is the best choice, specially as in the US you have lots of cheap domestics to chose from. When I look at the range of stuff available to you at great prices................

If you want Nissan maybe a 350Z motor and transmission?

Yeah, if you're wanting to go NA the VG30DE is not the route to go. The VG34 setup is definitely a great, low cost solution to get some NA power but, like Richard said, even better yet would be the VQ35DE. If you don't mind going bigger with a V8 then you have tons of stuff to choose from to go NA.

Turbo prices though... I wouldn't bother with many of the newer turbos out there, just go used and possibly rebuild the unit. Me for example, my plans are to go with a VG33 with boost. I might take it to 3.4 liters with some custom forged pistons (hey, why not :lol: ) and on top of that I'm going with a pair of Mitsubishi TD05H 14B turbochargers off of the first generation Eclipse and Talon (and possibly the Plymouth Laser as well, can't remember). I can pick them up for around $150-200 in good shape all day long and on top of that, they have a surprisingly wide compressor map with decent efficiency, peaking at 76% in the lower boost range. Quite a few of Garrett's popular GT series around that size actually peak the same or less. If you want something even more efficient the newer Mitsubishi TD04 19T has an incredibly wide map that is even more efficient as far as retaining its 76% peak into high boost (upwards of 20.6 PSI). Those are a little harder to find at the moment as they're on newer Volvo's (not sure what else) but you should still be able to find them used off of wrecked vehicles for decent prices. I have seen them sell new in the $750 area which is still slightly better than most of Garrett's GT series.

despite the choice to go to the KA-T route (which I find cool too!), i'd go with the VQ35, even from an altima with a 350z transmission, or anything else that would share parts that would fit.

260+ hp without touching the damn thing? sounds good to me.

• 13 years later...

So I have an NA 95 300zx and i bought it with the motor already bored out. Ik it has wise co pistons in it that are larger that stock, do I need bigger injectors and a tune if I wanna make more power? Cuz rn it feels kinda sluggish. Might be running rich or lean I’m not sure. Was thinking about putting 370cc injectors in it from the tt but I’m not sure. Please lemme know if u have any ideas