HybridZ

240z 72 with pertronix

gildia

Hi to you all, i been building a new harness por my 240z (since it had none), I am going to test it this weekend and i got the pertronix with a 1.5 ohm flame thrower, and i was wondering if i had this setup do I stil need a BR? :eek:

Thank you all

------------------------

72 240z

Mexico City

Flame thrower 1.5 just like yours.My set up is slightly different though,I use a mallory dual point upgraded with the pertronix ignitor.Pertronix upgrade for mallory replaces the mallory breaker plate instead of mounting like regular points.Very clean installation,I have been running this set up for about 4 years.

BTW unless you have a mallory dual point laying around I would not suggest buying one for this conversion, they are just too damm expensive.I bought mine in 1990 when it was only 100.00 bux,now they are like 400.00,totally insane prices.I converted to pertronix when I ran into a stange problem burning up the points,and mallory points aint cheap.Turns out I had the two wires that go to the br reversed effectively eliminating the br.It wasnt till I put the pertronix that I figured it out,so i just left the pertronix in.It has paid for it's self at least 2 times over since I installed it.

Hey guys. I am just about to update the points in my '70 240z, and am just about to pull the trigger on buying the Pertronix and 1.5 coil. While I'm at it, I was going to replace the wires as well. Any recommendations on what works well with the Pertronix stuff? http://www.carshopinc.com seems to have the best prices - just not sure on 7mm or 8mm wires.

Thanks!

Check with the pertronix setup/documentation as I think they require a 3ohm coil for 6 cylinder setups. I have a pertronix and one of their coils on my 71 240z works great I did the wiring mod that has been explained on this site etc. I can't recall the coil I got but it is a 3ohm I think.....Just checked what I ordered it was the 60,000 volt HV High Vibration Epoxy Filled Coil 3.0ohm unit = partnumber 60130. This setup has been running great in the car for the last 10month or so.

I looked at my pertronix coil,it says 1.5 ohm's and its been there for four years with the ballast resistor bypassed.I have also searched other sites and nobody has ever complained about this particular set up.