HybridZ

US spec GT-R on the dyno

mannyvig

This is what a number of us have been saying... Nissan claimed to be making much less hp than their performance numbers support. I suspect there will be a large number of changes to a few of the competitors out there.

You won't be buying one of these GT-Rs for less than $90k, so don't get to excited just yet. The markup is killing guys who are trying to get in at $69,999. Isn't gonna happen, and what will likely happen is the cost will increase as the baller crowd move in to grab up this car. Over on a couple of other boards there is much discussion about paying upwards of 25% above markup to get this car.

The real question is do you like the looks. I'm personally not a fan of how it looks, and with 650crank HP in my "budget" 996TT, I can't see giving up those great lines and good looks, along with the Porsche reputation, for the GT-R. However there are others who feel the same about my 3500# 996TT. Knowing what I now know about the 996 Turbo, and how they've depreciated in the market, I could duplicate mine for $55K on a moderate mileage 996TT platform.

Mike

The mark up is a non issue. I have been saying this since day one. Of course they will be commanding far more than the MSRP at their release. All highly anticipated cars do. The original C5 Z06 sold for $100k when first released. Even the original Miata all the way back in 1989 sold for $25k. That was almost $7k more than MSRP. Like all of these examples, it will take a year or so for the price to level off. That is when a fair comparison can be made.

Any talk of "I can make X car do X for less" will need to wait till then. There is always someone, somewhere, that can make a cheaper faster car. But again they are not new, off the showroom floor production cars with warranty either. The comparisons coming out in the mags now are the only ones that are at all fair. Factory equipped cars in competition.

What I find interesting is the persistant comment all of the reviews have made. That the weight of the GT-R is not the factor all of the critics said it would be. Technology has made another leap, and while not able to break the laws of physics, it has found a way to bend them, heavily. I understand why there is such surprise. We have all been raised with the idea that there is no replacement for light weight. Well, just like the old addage "there's no replacement for displacement" has fallen by the wayside with forced induction, we find that there is indeed a replacement for light weight. And it's called ATTESA.

As for the power numbers, again I find it a bit funny. Every GT-R has had it's numbers watered down. This goes all the way back to the PGC10 in '69. The '89 R32 was labeled with 287hp. The reality was closer the 330. It was no surprise that they dyno'd with higher numbers. But let's not pretend that this is why the car is so fast around the track. Even at 550hp, the GT-R has a lower power to weight ratio than the 911 or Z06. The power helps, no doubt, but it's the superb balance and awesome traction that smokes the competition.

As for the looks, it's subjective. There is no argument that the 911 is gorgeous. Pretty much has been all it's life. Until the GT-R is seen in person you can't make an informed choice. It is so unique that no pictures really do it justice. I can't explain it. For that matter neither can any of the reviewers who say the same thing. In person the car just works. But if looks are what will solely dictate how I spend $120k, it would not be on a Porsche either. The best looking car(s) on the road right now are the M3, Exige, and G37. But none of them can touch a 911, or a GT-R for that matter. It comes down to what is more important I guess.

Brian

Not really. You'd be dead wrong to say the new GT-R is all about brute power. It's power to weight ratio isn't that far off from the competetition.

It's the entire package that's packed with technology that makes it fast.

If you want to go fast buy a GT-R. If you want a penis car buy a Porsche! It's just friendly competetion Mike. :D

No competition Myron... It's a wonderful time to be a car guy. We have lots of options to choose from.

Brian, due to the limited numbers, I bet you won't be able to see MSRP on this car for 3-5 years. And because of that the used prices will stay inflated. same thing happened with the first two years of the Z06.

Mike

I think I'm with Mike on this one and go with the used 911TT. Yeah I've always dreamed of getting a GT-R, but the looks and price just isn't doing it for me. I feel they blew it with the looks and once the hype cools down its going to be a lot harder to move than expected.

As far as the HP goes, who doesn't love twin turbos and ITBs with all wheel drive. And nissan really knows how to put some really advance electronics into their cars. From a company known as a "budget" car company, to have as much technology cramed into one car is impressive.

I can wait to see one of these in person. One of the guys in our Z club has one reserved at MSRP, he has signed the contract and its a done deal. He should be receiving it soon.

I've really been on the fence about the design, they are quite hideous in pictures, but every time I see a video of them they look surprising nice... and the performance numbers don't lie... these things are NASTY.

Although I would still buy the porshe :)

Just a side note, but did anyone else find the dyno pull video odd? The GT-R seemed to tale a LONG time to get up to speed in 4th gear. My car is nothing compared to the GT-R but it sure seems to rev quicker on the dyno. :weird:

Looks like a great super-car that could have used a little better styling. I will agree that is a little unfair without seeing it in person. I guess I would have to go with the "penis car"(porsche) as far as the looks are concerned. We definitely have to drive these cars before we can really judge them, too. Despite looks and performance, some cars are just not that fun to drive. I'm betting the GTR is way more fun to drive than to look at. But it would have been alot more exciting if they could have made it look a little more like the nissan race cars and a little less like what it turned into. Anyone else think it looks like a beefed up G35? I think that the old z cars are going to keep my attention for a little while. For half of the 70K and a little over 1/3 of the projected price of the GTR you could start out with a pristine 240 with no rust, heavily modify it, Make sure it has a good A/C so it's a little like a newer car, and possibly even get all the exhaust leaks to keep from entering the cabin. What more could a guy ask for? I guess I'm way old school but with a few exceptions most of these new car designers are not impressing me with the cosmetics.

I have a feeling that this is going to be the next "350z/g35". Meaning that they're going to be ALL OVER the freakin place, enough to make me sick of them.

From reviews from fifthgear, its more effortless and doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment, like you would in a car that has "quarks".

I would like to see some crash so someone on here can start their gtr35 "godzilla" swap. :P Whats the name that nissan designate the engine?

I disagree about it being able to bend or break the laws of physics. I think this pretty much explains why it is as fast as it is...

I agree it's not breaking the laws of physics, because that'd be impossible. :D

I think it's HP helps explain some of the speed, but it does NOT explain how a car of it's weight can pull such high cornering speeds. It's AWD system is definately unique, and helping a ton.

No competition Myron... It's a wonderful time to be a car guy. We have lots of options to choose from.

Brian, due to the limited numbers, I bet you won't be able to see MSRP on this car for 3-5 years. And because of that the used prices will stay inflated. same thing happened with the first two years of the Z06.

Mike

Agreed. I honestly wonder if the MSRP will ever come down. Luckly for us nissan tends to make vehicles as long as they're selling well. My one worry for those interested in buying one though is that it will be outdated before the MSRP drops, and the market is satesfied. If that happens we might not see them become mildly affordable (for people in that market) for a loooong time.

I can wait to see one of these in person. One of the guys in our Z club has one reserved at MSRP, he has signed the contract and its a done deal. He should be receiving it soon.

Can you keep us updated? It'd be nice to find a documented case of someone who got one at or near MSRP. Could be a big bargaining chip for those intereste in buying one.

Just a side note, but did anyone else find the dyno pull video odd? The GT-R seemed to tale a LONG time to get up to speed in 4th gear. My car is nothing compared to the GT-R but it sure seems to rev quicker on the dyno. :weird:

Well that could be either the diffence of the dyno type, or the gear used. Your car might have been able to do a pull in 3rd gear, where as this car might have been in 5th (which is an overdrive gear on the GTR I believe).

Its all in the dyno operator, and they had it on a dyno with brakes. I am pretty sure of that. My car makes really slow pulls in 3rd on the dyno, but they had it loaded down pretty hard with the dyno. They actually stopped the car from accellerating at all at 4k rpm with the brake. Pretty impressive stuff.

Killer car man.

Evan

Not really. You'd be dead wrong to say the new GT-R is all about brute power. It's power to weight ratio isn't that far off from the competetition.

It's the entire package that's packed with technology that makes it fast.

If you want to go fast buy a GT-R. If you want a penis car buy a Porsche! It's just friendly competetion Mike. :D

I agree, and I don't buy the high price above msrp. I know the vette did that for awile, but that's just buyers being stupid. I don't think being stupid and paying too much for a car makes any case argument IMO. If they want a little penis car, then it's their money, which is why they are called little penis cars. If they get spanked on the track and the pocketbook then who's the dummy?!

at my work we deal with Town Center Nissan, who is getting 4 GT-Rs...two are sold, the other two are showroom...

needless to say, in early July when they arrive, we get to be there at night when they come in :wink:

and they are selling them for WAY more than MSRP...all because of one thing: because they can, and people WILL pay

i forgot how much Lee told me they are going to put them out for, but its over or around 100k$

still havent seen one in person...they had a silver one at the Z nationals i think...

I feel they blew it with the looks and once the hype cools down its going to be a lot harder to move than expected.

Not True. The Nissan dealership is very high volume and we were only alloted 7 cars. All are sold for a lot higher than MSRP. ABC Nissan in Phoenix is one of the highest volume shops in the country so they got 13 (I think). I was told by their used car manager that all 13 are sold with 100% of the price down. There are tons of extremely wealthy people around here that love to show off and are eager to buy the car. And the ones that weren't able to snag one of the first few and willing to pay more for a slightly used one.

Look at the Evo. In the first few months it was introduced every dealership only got a couple and they sold immediately for a lot (for a mitsu anyways). Soon afterwards Mitsu capitalized on it and sold millions. I really doubt Nissan will let the GTR litter the streets like the Evos do. Bottom line there will always be a demand for most any "supercar".

Nissan is spending way to much money on the GTR to just sell a couple. Of course there are all new training courses and proedures just for this car. We are having to install a new alignment rack just because the GTR is to low to drive the 3" ramp onto ours.

So obviously I love the car and think it will be a huge success for Nissan. This is just my opinion just as everyone elses on here.

I just sure am glad that I was not the unlucky master tech chosen to do all the GTR warranty work.:D