HybridZ

Shifter, trans, and carb questions...

First time posting here....:)

So here's the story, I bought a '72 240z over a year ago, not the cleanest or the most rust free or original, but a solid daily driver which is all I wanted. It had an auto transmission, I swapped that out for a 4spd, and have been driving the car as is for about 10 months. I had to trim the trans tunnel for the shifter to work, no big deal. The input shaft bearing went out this past week, so I pulled the transmission back out and put a 5spd in from a '79 280zx I had bought for parts. All is well, but the shifter is even farther forward than with the 4spd. I'm not really sure, I don't want to tear the center console up because it is in pretty good shape. Has anyone been able to bend the shifters with heat? The shifter out of the 4spd has the proper curvature to work but the distance from the ball to the pivot slot is to far. Any Ideas?

Also, I'm worried about the transmission cross member that the 240 has, it bolts directly to the frame/body. (where as the other cross members bolts up with bushings) I haven't seen these type of mounts discussed in any other threads. Is this a potential weak point, i.e. will I need to replace this cross member with the other kind if I plan to create any substantial power?

Whats up with DGV's? Mine has them, kind of a pain to tune but I figured all twin carb systems are.

Sorry for such a long post, thanks for any help.

-Carl

Thanks for posting those links very useful, but has anyone had trouble with the early model 5spd transmission's not fitting the center console of the 240z's?

This problem is often cited in writeups but it doesn't seem to be universal. I have a 71 with an early 5 speed and I don't have an interference problem with the console but it is tight. Maybe because I have a 73 console? Do you have the original R180 rear end?

I live close to you (Durham). Are you a member of the Triangle Z Club? Maybe we could meet and compare cars.

his problem is often cited in writeups but it doesn't seem to be universal. I have a 71 with an early 5 speed and I don't have an interference problem with the console but it is tight. Maybe because I have a 73 console? Do you have the original R180 rear end?

I live close to you (Durham). Are you a member of the Triangle Z Club? Maybe we could meet and compare cars

Yes, I do have the original R180 in the car. You don't happen to be the guy on craigslist selling an R200 and trans? As for the console I'm still undecided about cutting it, I got a setaline torch that I might try heat and bend the shifter. No I'm not in the Triangle Z Club, could be interested. Yeah, I'd like to mean up and compare cars, don't see to many S30's around Raleigh.