HybridZ

Ford 460 Drag car...??

Guest beefcakeZ

Guest beefcakeZ

So I have a Ford 460 motor and it was recently rebuilt and bored out. 30 over i believe. and I have my 72 240...I want to put the 460 into the Z... as it sits the 460 puts out about 500 HP and there is nothing on it so a couple mods and I think I could have a pretty tough drag car... what do you guys think.. am I in over my head with this idea..

Over your head? Depends on your skills. Can you weld. Basic mechanic skills? Think you can handle the modifications needed to the fuel system, throttle linkages, and the likes?

If it's going to be a race only drag car, you might want to tub the rear and put in a live axle, like a ford 9" rear end. There's guys that do wheel stands on stock nissan R200 diffs, so they're durable, they just might not get you off the line as quick as a solid rear axle. So it all depends on what you want out of the car and what you're capable of.

The 460 should fit though, might need to either modify some headers or have custom ones made though, as many people have issues with a lot of V8 swaps and headers clearing.

I'm curious though... where did this 460 come from that it has 500HP? Seems like WAY more than it ever came with from factory, so what's been done to it?

Guest beefcakeZ

It is out of my dads truck. and all I know that has been done is bored out... could be more.. not sure.. thats just what he told me. I could ask.

You can get similar numbers from a different engine choice. The 460 is more pricey then a 350, or a 302. But if you have it on hand (like you said) you need to get some accurate performance numbers. That would be dissapointing to spend all that time and money only to find out you cant even run a 13 :P

I doubt a bored out (.030)460 is making anywhere near 500HP. It would be better if swapped into a larger car or a Fox bodied Mustang using one of the readily available swap kits.

A small block Ford or Chevy is a much better and easier swap into a 240Z than a BBF.

• 3 months later...

While it may hold true to be easier and better, not as many people have a 460 datsun, no?

I say, if you believe you have the mechanical and fabrication prowess to do it, then go for it. Measurement wise, there is more space in between the shock towers in a S30 for a 460 then a '70 Mercury Cougar, and I know a 460 fits in a Cougar. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Having the motor on hand and freshly rebuilt is a big argument for going ahead with a 460 swap whether it is 500 HP like you stated, or a more likely 300 HP motor.

Weight would be a big consideration on the front of the car where the Zs handling would be adversely affected, and traction would be reduced.

460 BBF witha C6 in a Pinto was a fairly frequent swap inthe 1980's. It was documented in Car Craft, I recall them using the 8" rear axle from a V8/V6 Mustang II.

There is a 302/351/429/460 Pinto swap "manual" being sold for $10 on EBAY that addresses how to fabricate motor mounts, cooling system, electrical, and drivehaft angles for racing. Sort of a JTR lite.