HybridZ

280Z Rat rod

Prowl

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rat rod

Building a car with little money and function 100x over form.

meaning, lots of shoddy welded panels, lots of rust, and a car that looks like it'll fall apart whilst maintaining full function.

if you want a rat rod Z start with something that looks like hell, toss on an airdam but don't paint it (or just make it flat black) lower it, the interior would be non-existant, and the paint would be well...rust colored basically

here's a cobra daytona that looks like a rat rod to me

cobra_daytona_2287d.jpg

well the the car already has a layer or flat black paint on it. it looks more like purgatory than hell right now. there are only a few major rust spots on it. gravel pan an rear trunk lid, oh and my brother was try to do some work on the fender and he cut a small place along the fender seam/ridge at the bottom, wasnt the smartest thing to do.... lol !

Yeah, haha worlds most expensive rat rod.

But that's the whole rat rod look. Run down and decrepit junkyard survivor look, but maintaining performance and function

basically, drag out the sorriest looking Z you can, weld in some steel panels for fixing the floors if they have holes, make sure all the bushings are nice, and make the engine run like new but without it looking pretty

sooo kind of like leaving the car looking like a work in progress like the following, but maintain full functionality. I don't know why but i always wanted to get a Z and leave the front fenders off and somehow make it look nice. I never got past that phase of the idea though.

also note the wicked looking "M" for mach 5... speed racer style rat rod... i guess its obvious i got bored while working on the car

100_1543.jpg

that body would be a great rat rod. Put on some cool rims and rig up some head lights, and leave the interior as bare as you can buy maintain the necessities. it can have all the gofast suspension and engine work, but the engine bay especially can look like the biggest POS ever.

I've never been one to care much for clean engines as long as it runs like a champ haha. Hell, my car in its current state will probably turn into something similar to a rat rod.

i think i may consider puting a cherry blosom branch on each side and have monster written in japanese on the hood or maybe a dragon in clouds on each side. somthing no body else has done before. just painted on not colored in. i know a guy at tatto parlor who could probrably do it for me he did the pin stripping on his biuck rat and i looks pro. me and my maverick friends hang out there.

maybe the car would look better having a custom paint job than rat

1.High gloss black, blacked out bumpers

2. Med size cherry blosom tattoo art on each side (flat color insted of gloss.)

3. Monster written in japanese on the hood or fender top, red lettering

"BlackOut Z custom".....LOL!

cool but i was thinking about somthing that looks more like a wall scroll.

branching out from the back instead of the front on one side and braching out accross the fender an hood on the other side starting from the bottom front of the door.

'Rat rod' is an interesting term...it's more of a recent thing, a backlash against overfinished street rods, and an outgrowth of the recent attempts to take rodding back to its roots: Going fast on a budget with whatever you've got on hand. The resulting never finished / poorly finished look wasn't so much intentional as it was circumstantial.

My issue is that people are now building them that way on purpose, but taking it WAY overboard. It's become a parody of itself. A perfect example is the '36 Ford recently featured in Popular Hot Rodding that looked as if it had rolled out of a barn after having been in there since the '50s, complete with worn-out hand-painted racing signage and rust holes...

...and it was a brand-new from the ground up fiberglass-bodied car! The rust was FAKE. Nothing on the car was old.

Quoth bjhines: Paint doesn't make it go any faster. THAT'S the spirit. Ignore the cosmetic stuff, and get to it 'someday'. Do anything and everything that doesn't cost anything to go faster. Do what you can with what you've got available, even if it looks stupid, because if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid. It doesn't look like that because you want it that way, it looks like that because you don't care how it looks!

THAT'S what rodding is about...not looking cool, going fast.

*picks up soapbox and lights fire to it* Okay, I'm done.

Here is mine in flat black, not sure if it qualifies as a rat rod though.

pic9.jpg

:mparty:yes! yes! yes! Thats my goal Thanks for posting tha pick, i'll just hand paint the word Kaiju on the side, ive got enough artistic talent to do it myself and make it look custom (Kaiju= Monster in english)