HybridZ

Electric 240z Project Pics

jmead

Guest 77280ZEV

Sweet, i'm absolutely lovin your project. I'm doing the same thing with my 280Z. What motor are you running and the info and stuff on it? from ebay you say?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet, i'm absolutely lovin your project. I'm doing the same thing with my 280Z. What motor are you running and the info and stuff on it? from ebay you say?

Its a 9" Kostov motor, from ebay. I would recommend something more mainstream, either a netgain or ADC. This way you're bolt pattern is standardized, the motor could be easily replaced (should the need ever arise), replacement brushes are easily available, etc. Not to mention the huge community of people pushing the limits and accumulating data, so you know how much it can take without needing to break it yourself finding out. For my next conversion I will be following my own advice.

My motor is rated 144V and 107A (1hr) at 5000rpm. Less than 100lbs.

I love the idea of seeing more EV Z's!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The car has been sold. I'm eager to move onto my next project, my 76' 280z. Right now I am finishing up the wiring, charger and some other loose ends before loading it onto a truck headed for boston. I will definitely upload pictures of the finished product before it heads out; some things have changed.

Whats your opinion on your battery selection?, I see your using the Die-Hard AGM's.

I'm using the "heavy" Trojan J150's (1008 lbs.) and considering going to AGM's. Less range but much more power & much less weight!

Joe

Do you have any idea how many amp hours you realistically get out of those during normal use? Those look to be rated 125ah@5hr rate vs. the 75ah of the odyssey agms, but due to peukert effects for a 1 hr discharge the realistic capacity is likely ~70ah for the trojans vs 54ah for the agm.

The pack of 12 weighs 720 lbs. My favorite part is the 4 year free replacement warranty, which my sales person assured me would be honored even in an EV application. They also have the marine series with dual terminals available in 100ah and 125ah sizes but with a 2 year warranty and a higher price tag. They are certainly expensive up front.

My 1000A controller doesn't even stress them, the highest draw I've achieved out of the batteries was 700a for a brief second. I don't have a lot of long-term experience yet but they have been great so far, I'm curious to see how many cycles they really deliver under daily use. I've never heard a bad comment about odyssey batteries (except the price).

and, is your next project another EV, is it a datsun, ???

Next up is my 76 280z. I've had it since before the 240, it has alot more sentimental value. Its frame is in better condition (zero rust) and less stuff needs to be addressed before it could pass inspection; it could be converted in a matter of weeks or even days if all the parts were on-hand. It will be huge advantage to just be able to drop components in and drive; I spent more time doing restoration stuff than I did electrical on the 240. It took me longer to get the blinkers and brake lights working than it did to wire up the batteries and motor to the motor controller, less headache too. Pictures will follow, as well as those of the finished 240 (when that happens....each day has been an 8 hour work-a-thon for the last few in order to get this thing ready to ship)

Here is a new electric motor that should change things, if it ever gets to production.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Millennial_Motors_Inc:Magnetronic_Motor

Mark

"He said that for 100W in, they're getting around 1 HP out (which is still above the 746 W / HP supposed limit). "

"In a typical motor, when the load goes up, making the rpm go down, the current goes up. He said that in their motor, when you load the motor, the current goes down. He said that this aspect alone was what they were pursuing right now, with the idea that such a motor would have greatly increased life. "

Around here we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

I never thought seeing that much dead weight, set that far in front of the front axles of an S30, could look so APPEALING....... :D

I reduced weight over the front axle by 150 lbs versus the previous incarnation. Even then people commented that it handled well so I'm eager to see how much the steering has improved. The weight in the rear dropped by a foot and is now located as close to the differential as possible while being centered just above the road. I expect body roll will be reduced as a result. Handling should be superior, with a little less peak power.

Guest 77280ZEV

Whats the story behind selling it? Did you make it in order to sell it or did somebody see it and make you a nice offer? and how much did you sell it for? I'm dyin to know. post some pictures of the finished car, exterior, interior, engine bay and trunk if you would please

I'm wondering how much an electric Z would sell for since i'm doing one. I'm more so just kinda fixing and restoring it right now..... chipping all that condensed tar and.....peanut butter glue (lol) from the cabin with a screw driver and hammer lmao. and thinking about the best way to fix rust in bottom quarter panels without a welder.

Joe P. - I love your car! I'm in San Bernardino. and A/C too! I'm just going to go no air lol maybe jimmy rig a space heater. I removed the dash and all components.

~David

Did you ever install the ICE in the rear?

I did but things have changed. The car was sold to a buyer as a pure EV, the generator came out and is waiting for another project. The rear hatch looks completely stock now:

100_3370.jpg

Now there are 12 of the 30 batteries concealed below the hatch floor.

100_3401.jpg

Much cleaner and way more professional, don't you think?

Whats the story behind selling it? Did you make it in order to sell it or did somebody see it and make you a nice offer? and how much did you sell it for? I'm dyin to know. post some pictures of the finished car, exterior, interior, engine bay and trunk if you would please

I'm wondering how much an electric Z would sell for since i'm doing one. I'm more so just kinda fixing and restoring it right now..... chipping all that condensed tar and.....peanut butter glue (lol) from the cabin with a screw driver and hammer lmao. and thinking about the best way to fix rust in bottom quarter panels without a welder.~David

The story is that I had already moved onto a more advanced project mentally; I've got a '76 280z waiting for some love and most of the components for it sitting on the shelf. I guess I like building stuff more than owning the finished product. Truthfully I've already got about 5 vehicles after that planned out mentally, each one is a stepping stone to the next.

I'd rather not disclose price, and it is still up in the air at the moment as I continue to purchase parts and work on the vehicle for the new owner. I think the value of this vehicle is limited by the rust present, its beautiful for a 38 year old vehicle but it is still a 38 year old vehicle.