HybridZ

new to the Z's is this ZX worth it

mudtoy1986

ok i just purchaced a 1983 280zx turbo it has 179k on the motor

it had a new clutch put in the car 12 yrs ago and hasnt been run since

infact it hasnt been started in 12 yrs i finaly got it running this afternoon it runs ok

already changed some of the fuel system sending unit(from 81 280zxt),fuelpump (from a 78 280z)

next is the tank

ok now on the body the floors and subframe are almost gone

the fenders are rotted pretty bad the hood is rusted so bad the pinch weld is seperating

Sounds like it's time to pull that turbo motor after a compression check and move it into something else. It will easily go into any other s130 or into an s30 with light modification (where the shifter comes into the car is a little off, but the center console doesn't need to be destroyed or anything).

The 83's had the t-5, correct?

That would make it the most desirable turbo swap set up to start out with.

My vote is to make sure everything checks out on the motor + tranny, megasquirt it, and then drop it into a car with a better body.

Yea, I'd say find a clean S130 chassis for like $500 or less. That'd be MUCH cheaper than doing the rust repair.

There's VERY little difference between the chassis itself between 79 and 83. The main differences are mounting tabs for various pieces, like the AFM and the bitching betty. Those two things are the first that come to mind of stuff that needed to be modified when I did my swap.

But it's a pretty bolt in affair as long as both cars have the same number of seats.

Not sure what the 280ZX (S130) supply like over in VA, but here in CA I can find them under $800 on craigslist just about any week of the year.

The other option would be to get an older Z (S30) between 70-78. The earlier the year the lighter they are, and thus the engine swap would make for a faster car. Though I really do like the 280ZX and would be collecting them for projects if they didn't need to be smogged here in CA. The 280ZX is just about as light as a 280Z when you remove the power features, and has much better stock aerodynamics and can fit decently large tires under the stock wheel wells.

All around fun cars to work on.

So yea, easy route I'd say buy another 79-83 280ZX. Harder route but well worth it would be to buy a 70-73 240Z. Both good projects.

Not sure how much you know about those engines though, they have quite a bit of potential. 300 crank HP is not difficult to get out of them, even with a higher milage motor like yours.

Yeah, I would go with a new/rebuilt turbo unless you have done one yourself.

How much do they want for the rebuild kit?

It might not even be salvageable if it's locked up tight.

Have you done a compression test on the engine?

I wouldn't be dropping and cash into anything until you verify that the engine is even salvageable for a worthwhile cost.

Betty is the recorded, hot librarian sounding voice that chimes in and lets you know when something is awry with your motoring experience. She comes and goes with my ZX, but some error messages I remember are:

-right/left door is open

-parking brake is on (if the vehicle is in motion for a set amount of time while the PB is engaged)

-lights are on (if you pull the key out of the ignition and open the door without turning off the lights, or if you just reach in and turn them on while the car is off)

-Fuel level is low

I guess I would have to say the best thing about her is the genuine concern in her voice. I actually kind of miss her.:?

She sits on the passenger side of the car just behind the rear shock tower. Little black box.

I still kinda want to find out what other languages she knows... Getting her to speak french would be sweet, and probably one of the only ways I'd keep her plugged in.