HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol This group buy shouldnt be a problem. considering we have like 18 people who are interested already. Sure its depending on price and design for a few but i think that all can be worked out. Still havent heard back from SSAC. ill let every one know what i find out.

should i start another thread on what we are wanting in the manifold? Cause i havent gotten any input on that yet. Ill keep every one informed

lol This group buy shouldnt be a problem. considering we have like 18 people who are interested already. Sure its depending on price and design for a few but i think that all can be worked out. Still havent heard back from SSAC. ill let every one know what i find out.

should i start another thread on what we are wanting in the manifold? Cause i havent gotten any input on that yet. Ill keep every one informed

Just keep it going in this thread...

I think maximum versatility is a must. People should be able to use this header with several different setups.

Here's my 2 cents - Have a multifit t3/t4 flange (keeps everyone happy and leaves more options for upgrades) and as close to equal length as can be made to fit.

-I'm not sure this is ideal for what I'd want, but it would get more interest- Position the turbo in roughly the same place as the L28ET manifold and everyone's current intake piping and downpipes could match up. Unfortunately, the factory location is a little high and tight to the block.

I agree that the stock location (more or less) would be best, as mentioned before it leaves less work for people that might have nice intercooling and exhaust plumbing already. One thing to consider if the turbo needs to be moved forward, please consider those of us that run Air-conditioning by leaving plenty of room for the compressor.

Guys, I'm not intending to rain on anyone's parade and I will probably be interested myself once the bugs are worked out. Did anyone research SSAutochrome? Their stuff takes a regular bashing on the Honda forums mostly for cracking. It seems the quality of stainless available for the tubular portion is prone to cracking after welding. Most everyone (on the honda forums) agrees that their design is good but sometimes fall short on execution (welding)

Customers have also had problems with returns, exchanges, etc, etc.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2134877

Also see:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Search the archived posts in the forced induction forum for ss autochrome.

I agree that the stock location (more or less) would be best, as mentioned before it leaves less work for people that might have nice intercooling and exhaust plumbing already. One thing to consider if the turbo needs to be moved forward, please consider those of us that run Air-conditioning by leaving plenty of room for the compressor.

I believe the below header designs would satisfy the majority of everyone's requirements. Notice the beautiful welds and how the tubes transition from round to rectangular in the first design. Although not equal length, they are not a log style and should accommodate A/C. The multifit T4/T3 flange would work for T3 folks but the T4 folks would sacrifice because the ID of the flange would still be T3. At least it looks that way to me. Also, I definitely do not want stainless. I think they are much more prone to cracking.

Example Header #1

6669_thumb.attach

261382701B_thumb.jpg

261382709B_thumb.jpg

Example Header #2

2886004_49_fullB_thumb.jpg

2886004_50_fullB_thumb.jpg

All right guys ive gottne one e-mail back from this guy and things look promising. Price will be under $200 bucks per his quote. but im not sure what style that would be i wrote him back and gave him some pictures of what would be best. He didnt say what it would be made out of either. I honestly think that a manifold that was like the one a few posts up would work well for this group buy to keep "most" of the people happy. it keeps every thing close to the stock location to satisfly the ac and not having to rework our exhausts to much or our intercooler piping. It also would probably be pretty easy to make which would keep costs down. Just give me some time to work things out with him to get this going, and then when i have some solid information on this i will update you. As right now nothing is set in stone so nothing can really be set. Ill keep ya all updated. later

Jeff

All right guys ive gottne one e-mail back from this guy and things look promising. Price will be under $200 bucks per his quote. but im not sure what style that would be i wrote him back and gave him some pictures of what would be best. He didnt say what it would be made out of either. I honestly think that a manifold that was like the one a few posts up would work well for this group buy to keep "most" of the people happy. it keeps every thing close to the stock location to satisfly the ac and not having to rework our exhausts to much or our intercooler piping. It also would probably be pretty easy to make which would keep costs down. Just give me some time to work things out with him to get this going, and then when i have some solid information on this i will update you. As right now nothing is set in stone so nothing can really be set. Ill keep ya all updated. later

Jeff

$200.00 seems too good to be true. I certainly would like to pay as little as possible but at that price I would wonder how they'd make any money. Again, I think it's important that a reliable product be designed which would typically cost more than $200.00.

Would they be designing the cylinder head flange or would that need to be provided up front?

My point is that we should be very careful that we set certain expectations with the builder so we all get the product we are expecting.