HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

Just did a quick sketch in autocad to see if what I have in my head is correct as to what we're discussing here.

quickheaderdrawing.jpg

Dimensions are guessed and of course doing the sketch in 2 dimensions doesn't do something with many complicated angles justice.

Also, (which may be a little off topic) when designing equal length headers is the "equal length" only take into account the physical distance the exhaust has to travel or is an equivalent length calculated for each runner based on the pressure loss due to bends and curves?

I might be way out to lunch with my train of thought here. My only experience with something like this is mine ventilation and not with exhaust design.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ya just a point about the design I forgot in the last post.

behind the mounting point for the turbo I assumed that all of the runners would be turning 90degrees and pointing directly into the turbo.

Also, Because of the firing order 362415 - and the information given a couple points back that the runners should be joined with another that is as far away as possible in the firing order. so that paired 16 25 and 34.

Well... in your drawing the two center ports arent that far apart...

Ya I screwed up the drawing. I think they're right beside each other right?

Anyways I was just checking to see if the image I have in my head is on the same wavelength of what's being discussed.

Count me in on one of these too, though at this point I'm still new to the game and am not sure what options I would want. I don't know the difference between the T3 or T4 for example.

Greg

T3 = Smaller Turbine

T4 = Bigger Turbine

The flanges match specific Turbines.

I just recieved this e-mail from joe at SSAC when i told him i had a manifold to send to him.

Jeff

Without a sample of the " ACTUAL " manifold - we cannot make something

based on a picture - as we dont know the proper lengths of the pipes,

or how far the

turbo flange is from point a to point b , and so on .........

We use Jigs and templets -

Does anyone have a cracked " AFTERMARKET " manifold

So its looking like we need an aftermarket manifold to send to him. kinda making this a little more difficult. I would think that we should shoot for a greddy or one like the type i showed earlier.. Input would be great guys.

Jeff

I just recieved this e-mail from joe at SSAC when i told him i had a manifold to send to him.

Jeff

Without a sample of the " ACTUAL " manifold - we cannot make something

based on a picture - as we dont know the proper lengths of the pipes,

or how far the

turbo flange is from point a to point b , and so on .........

We use Jigs and templets -

Does anyone have a cracked " AFTERMARKET " manifold

So its looking like we need an aftermarket manifold to send to him. kinda making this a little more difficult. I would think that we should shoot for a greddy or one like the type i showed earlier.. Input would be great guys.

Jeff

I have a Turbo Header that I am not going to use any time soon (very similar to the one that everyone wants), is in good shape, I am just not going to use it at the moment, in fact I was going to send it to Jet Hot, to get it coated. PM me and I will send you pictures.

Alex

I have a Turbo Header that I am not going to use any time soon (very similar to the one that everyone wants), is in good shape, I am just not going to use it at the moment, in fact I was going to send it to Jet Hot, to get it coated. PM me and I will send you pictures.

Alex

Can we get pictures in this thread so we know what we're lookin at?

I would think 1 5/8 would be minimum.small blocks use 1 5/8 on mild modified up to 350 hp and thats 8 cyl. flowwing that much air. were a 6 cyl. flowwing as much air as a small block.... so I would say 1 7/8 myself... but prob..ably a comprimise would be 1 3/4.... but I will still be a taker even at 1 5/8

I did some more research on what the primary size should be on the proposed turbo header. A turbo L6 and an NA small block Chevy are not comparable. I have it on good authority that a 1 5/8 primary OD with 1/8 wall mild steel is still the best way to go. The SFP header has this identical primary size and has allowed over 650bhp on at least two L28's that I'm aware of. 1 3/4 and larger will likely be too big and wouldn't allow the studs, washers and nuts to fit properly.

Personally I want a T3 flange because my next turbo will be a Garrett GT35R. I will not go past the HP potential of this turbo. I believe the Garrett GT42R is a T4. The Holsets might be a different story.

Someone please jump in and school us on what turbos you would use on an L28 that have a T4 turbine.

I did some more research on what the primary size should be on the proposed turbo header. A turbo L6 and an NA small block Chevy are not comparable. I have it on good authority that a 1 5/8 primary OD with 1/8 wall mild steel is still the best way to go. The SFP header has this identical primary size and has allowed over 650bhp on at least two L28's that I'm aware of. 1 3/4 and larger will likely be too big and wouldn't allow the studs, washers and nuts to fit properly.

This is something I posted earlier...

Note, too, that the individual tube diameters on a properly engineered manifold tend to be slightly smaller than on a similar NA engine. Usually the cross sectional area of the exit port on the cylinder head is a good starting point for sizing the runners. For tubular manifolds, it's better to err on the small side, which will maintain gas velocity and reduce the exterior surface area, helping to minimize heat loss.

Nigel