HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

yea im interested also....i havent commented in a good 6 pages or so lol....but glad to see it looks like yet again its moving on well....

as for ssac...ive seen a few manifolds, imho the welds looked good (hundai tiburon ) and like i said the welds looked good...but the pipes (individual into the collector) were still there....hence not so good on the blending/measurements...i'd rather them be flared in and welded accordingly, but like others have said, for only a couple hundred 250-350 (if i remember for his set) to start with they can be fixed by a decent shop in a couple hours at $60-90an hour for the labor/welding

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not in the market for the piece, but it seems like recent acceleration in pace has scattered some of the organization that pulled this group effort together.. Not criticizing anyone, but somebody involved ought to begin compiling two lists.. one "definitely in" group, and one "definitely in, here is $20-40-80 American, thankyvermuch!"

Really, it would be appropriate for another breakdown into priorities at this point. Kinda bring things together. I would definitely consider anyone financially "in" to be included in a "first time group buy" special pricing; if 400 is the needed sum to reimburse "our" half of the header into jgkurz's pocket, then 20 interested parties need only come up with $20 apiece.

In essence, this hypothetical $20 contribution isn't exactly a deposit, but more of a buy-in to a co-op to get the header made. If non-contributing "definitely ins" wind up getting in on the group pricing then great; that will be seen. I would think contributors get to vote on specifics like wastegate sizing etc, as needed.. but these are just suggestions.

I would say that the people at SSAC are likely planning on having this item available in the future.. once they have tooled up for it and have made a few extras to copy, it is just as easy for them to do it for themselves as it is for us.

i agree with what you say to an extent...theyre paying him 1/2 up front...and he is getting to keep the header....so i see it as he got it for 1/2 price and is just helping the rest of us out here. with that said i think we need to get an IN STONE price from ssac before any talk about "down payments" or anything like that...once we get a definate price then the ball can start to roll again but until then we're all really just twiddling our thumbs waiting on ssac.

but i do like your idea of organized and whos really in and putting money up vs. 2382785 people saying "oh yea im in and ill get one......eventually....as soon as i get money...____insert excuse here" but we have to have a product, pictures, warranty info, and a price before any of that can take place IMHO

and yes it makes no sense for them to make an investment and will potentially have the sources (size/runner length/etc) to make more and not do so...that would be a really stupid business move on thier part, but if we get a price cut (hybridz) for a group buy of 10-15-20 people(lets say $400) then if you want to order one before the next "batch" of group buyers are made (lets say they do every 10 and your number 14 but dont want to wait till 20) then you get X discount (percentage or cash) for being on hybrid z......then regular people who have no clue about the site can pay full price every time/any time....just a thought, again this all depends on ssac, and whoever is running things over here and what they come up with.

(havent checked in about 6 pages as already stated but thanks to whoever has taken over of talking to ssac, whoever has gotten the ball rolling in the beginning/middle/now, and whoever put money out and arranged to get a custom header/design that will work and is shipping/ dealing with ssac so we might all have a product of decent quality, that we can possibly buy off the shelf vs. paying way to much to make or investing alot of time and money ourselves to make) thanks again -jeff

Ok first of all SSAC has asked for NO down payment from anyone. They offered to pay half of the manifold that is being bought to copy. I did not ask them to pay for it. The plan is for them to copy the manifold and then they will send me the manifold they made for me to test fit everything. Then we will talk about deposits. They understand that this could fall through at any time and i think its very big of them to not want any deposits. Especially when they have put out money. ie. shipping costs and paying for half the manifold.

They want to see the manifold before the quote us a price. Which i think is very reasonable. I am going to send them the file for the flange this week so they can model that up.

i dont remember saying that they did ask for a dp....im just saying we're waiting on them...and whoever bought the manifold they are going to copy is going to get it really for 1/2 price since ssac is going to reimburse them....but im just hoping that they make a decent quality/price piece from the one we are sending them

Update: I just got home from being out of town and the header was waiting for me. I did an brief check of everything and it looks good and is in great shape. The welds are sound, build quality is good and no rust issues. I will have the flanges surfaced and have it ceramic coated but other than that it's just about perfect. I will have some initial pics posted this weekend and start arranging time to mock-up on an S30 and S130. Once this phase is complete I will be ready to send to SSAC.

On a side note, this header has a T4 flange. The plan was to use a Garrett GT35R with a .63 A/R turbine housing. That should be good for about 600bhp. JeffP has demonstrated that this HP is attainable with the better spooling .63 turbine. Unfortunately the turbine on the GT35R is a T3 flange. I called Precision Turbo this morning and they have a v-band turbine for the GT35R that uses a T4 flange and is a .68 A/R turbine. This might be a good way to go if I don't want to re-weld a T3 flange.

...and whoever bought the manifold they are going to copy is going to get it really for 1/2 price since ssac is going to reimburse them...

I bought the header for $800.00. As I understand it, the current agreement is that SSAC will pay for shipping and half the cost of the header. I will also ask that the shipments to and from be insured. I'm not sure how funds would be exchanged yet so that will need to be determined before I send to SSAC. As the agreement stands I don't see a need for reimbursement funds from HybridZ. My cost will be 400.00 plus time and expense for S30 and S130 mock-up. This seems fair unless some unforeseen expenses come up. I don't expect to get a free header out of this deal. I just expect to pay the same as the group buy or at least in the ball park.

Thanks for the update jgkurz. Let me know when your ready to get it shipped out. SSAC said they would do paypal at any time. Im also sure they will have no issues insuring the shipping. Maybe it would be best if you wait to get it coated till after you get it back just so there isnt a chance of it getting messed up somehow.

Shoot me a pm if you want to talk the specifics

Update: I just got home from being out of town and the header was waiting for me. I did an brief check of everything and it looks good and is in great shape. The welds are sound, build quality is good and no rust issues. I will have the flanges surfaced and have it ceramic coated but other than that it's just about perfect. I will have some initial pics posted this weekend and start arranging time to mock-up on an S30 and S130. Once this phase is complete I will be ready to send to SSAC.

On a side note, this header has a T4 flange. The plan was to use a Garrett GT35R with a .63 A/R turbine housing. That should be good for about 600bhp. JeffP has demonstrated that this HP is attainable with the better spooling .63 turbine. Unfortunately the turbine on the GT35R is a T3 flange. I called Precision Turbo this morning and they have a v-band turbine for the GT35R that uses a T4 flange and is a .68 A/R turbine. This might be a good way to go if I don't want to re-weld a T3 flange.

I bought the header for $800.00. As I understand it, the current agreement is that SSAC will pay for shipping and half the cost of the header. I will also ask that the shipments to and from be insured. I'm not sure how funds would be exchanged yet so that will need to be determined before I send to SSAC. As the agreement stands I don't see a need for reimbursement funds from HybridZ. My cost will be 400.00 plus time and expense for S30 and S130 mock-up. This seems fair unless some unforeseen expenses come up. I don't expect to get a free header out of this deal. I just expect to pay the same as the group buy or at least in the ball park.

Are you planning to request the T3 / T4 hybrid flange be used?? They know what it is.

Are you planning to request the T3 / T4 hybrid flange be used?? They know what it is.

I'm simply sending my header in to SSAC to be used as a template. It will be up to the folks in this thread and the person organizing the Group Buy to determine options for the Group Buy Header.

Update: I took several pictures and did a more through examination of the header. Below is the link to the photo album. I'll post any updated pics to this location. If anyone wants a specific picture that isn't included just PM me and I'll do my best to add it to the site.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm happy with the quality of the header. The tubing seems thicker then your typical NA exhaust header. For a turbo application this is good news. The pipes are in good shape except for some minor pitting. The wastegate flange does not fit my Tial F41 wastegate as I had hoped. I will need to fix this. None of this matters much since these are my issues and not necessarily pertinent to the Group buy. Bottom line is the header should be a great template for most L6 applications. The S30 and S130 mock-up should happen Labor day weekend. Once that's completed I'll be ready to ship to SSAC.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/jgkurz/L6%20Turbo%20Header/

wouldnt the t4 flange work for say a t3/t4 hybrid?

No, a T3/4 hybrid uses a T4 compressor and a T3 turbine. A good compromise for the group buy header might be to use this flange that accommodates both a T4 and a T3 turbine. The only downside might be finding enough of these flanges and whether it would be a restriction for the larger T4 turbine.

Click Here

539b_12_thumb.JPG

54df_12_thumb.JPG

5245_12_thumb.JPG

With using that flange the guys that are running T4's could always just port them out to fit there turbine

That's a pretty good idea actually. So long as they don't weld the T3 side to the manifold!

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Update:

I was able to get some decent photo's of the turbo header in an S30. It was a 75 or 76 280z, not sure which. Follow the below link and you'll see a new sub-album for S30_Turbo Header. I was hoping to get S130 pics also but the car we thought we could use did not have a cross member. I will continue to look for an S130 car for mock-up photo's unless you all want me to just send the header to SSAC ASAP.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/o...urbo%20Header/

P.S, I want to publicly thank BRAAP and rontyler for their help. I couldn't have doe it without them.

Did you get any pics on the car w/ a turbo in place? Did you put a turbo on it when you did the mock? Intake? Just curious on clearances.

Update:

I was able to get some decent photo's of the turbo header in an S30. It was a 75 or 76 280z, not sure which. Follow the below link and you'll see a new sub-album for S30_Turbo Header. I was hoping to get S130 pics also but the car we thought we could use did not have a cross member. I will continue to look for an S130 car for mock-up photo's unless you all want me to just send the header to SSAC ASAP.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/o...urbo%20Header/

P.S, I want to publicly thank BRAAP and rontyler for their help. I couldn't have doe it without them.

Did you get any pics on the car w/ a turbo in place? Did you put a turbo on it when you did the mock? Intake? Just curious on clearances.

I don't have pics with a turbo yet. Personally, all I have is a stock L28ET T3 turbo. Is that sufficient? I can't imagine that will be close to what anyone would run. I may have access to a T3/4 hybrid but I'm not sure about availability.

All things considered, that header looks like a pretty decent design. The only thing I would think might be worth while changing would be to have the wastegate tube exit from the bottom of the collector rather than from the side so that the exhaust from the number six runner doesn't have to do a near 180 deg turn...

Nigel