HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking a sentinel off the Matrix, but lol, yeah, too much. I think the first header would be a great setup.

Should I try to make one over the summer? I don't have a bender but I can use Pre-bent pieces. Not promise but has this thread gone anywhere except discussion?

Make one if you like, Guys i could make one for everyone but heres why i wont.

1. Liability

2. Headache

3. Cost

4. Time

5. Special stuff/extras

I mean i could really go on and on...but i will say this. I am tired of this thread and will be making a new one and having this one ditched (by the mods hopefully).

This is for a group buy, ITS REAL i have the guy looking through pics, now i will say i have narrowed it down to a few and will be uploading the new thread soon, and this WILL happen this time but it WILL also be a nice and quality piece so PLEASE expect to pay a decent price. I wouldnt make these for free (for all the reasons above and then some) and neither would any of you, or we would have these already lol so please bare with me and my guy and we will get these out ASAP just need to firm up pricing and pick a manifold everyone will like.

^^^ That's funny. You drop in another guy's thread, yesterday, then say your tired of the thread and your going to have it shut down?

HAHA, I guess he has a point, I don't get why shut it down but there really isn't anything coming out of it from what I can tell. I might make something this summer and jig it up but I can't say for sure depends on what I got going job wise and if I got the time/money to do it all.

^^^ That's funny. You drop in another guy's thread, yesterday, then say your tired of the thread and your going to have it shut down?

Joel ive been following this thread since its birth, waiting on something to even happen. It is now almost two years later and nothing at all but a big mess.

Please remember the first post on "another guys thread" and the fact that all "that guy" did was send a simple email. He didnt give them a header, didnt even try to make this group buy work, looks to me like he sent an email then asked for someone to take his place or Make something happen. He was smart in that fact or maybe just didnt realize it, but he saved himself the headache that way and it looks like other members took the lead and ended up getting the shaft from ssac, who is a horrible company to buy from or deal with, not to mention got to keep a header that everyone said they would pitch in on and never got this to go anywhere.

Also inform yourself of the group buy rules ....

"Please limit the length of the threads and the TIME for GP to 90 days. If you can't pull together your deal or offering within that limited about of time, you probably don't want to have a group buy.

If we see threads start to go down this path, they will be locked. PLEASE follow these rules closely."

Now like i said i have a group buy going that WILL have a good price, be made of quality material, and maybe even have multiple/different runs... if people will sign up or add their names to the list, unlike this thread which has gone to 18 pages and almost two years and HASNT been locked yet....mind telling me why, because according to the rules unless its in production or being sold this thread should have gone bye bye over a year and a half ago.

So please if you are interested in a turbo header and want one see my thread, but please dont post useless info/opinions and junk up either thread. Lets let this one die like it should have long ago :beatdeadh

Thanks -Jeff

Yes any "tubular" manifold will flow better than stock but if you look the first two cylinders are a Log style, thus making the 5th a different and unequal length, not trying to put you down but this is what i was trying to stay away from.

Hence me not saying anything in this thread, i was waiting to see a real design before commenting/buying. Also this is one of those "looks like it was made in a garage" pieces, i mean it is a decent design but the whole point of doing a tubular manifold is just that =Not log and equal length.

Price on that manifold i'm told would be about $1000 in sch'd 304 stainless with external gate provision. So theres the pricing for those interested.

To the posters talking about equal length tubulars, this isn't a B-series honda, theres ALOT more work to do a equal length L6 header, so these price targets i've seen mentioned in this thread are highly optimistic i suspect.

No offense, but everythings "easy" till you actually do it, lets see someone else post up a ready to rock L6 header that has a JIG ready for reproducing in volume, then hear a price on it. Equal length or not, i'm just curious to see who actually is ready to go to market besides me.

No need for a jig when everyone runs a different setup, now if everyone ran a gt3076 or something similar with the same piping, wastegate, A/c or not, Right or left hand drive....blah blah blah. There are wayyyy too many variations and what will be best is someone that has a good price, and can produce them. And doing so on an individual basis is the best you can get,which is what I am doing, the issue with doing it one by one is most shops wont do it for anything under 1k like youve gotten quoted because "its not a b series honda" and they dont think the demand is there.

I think what johnc here and the other great admins are getting at here are. Stop the arguments, if you are going to get a header made, do it and get them made, then sell them. If not close the threads and stop discussing it. I think that the 1,000 price sounds fair and should work fine for anybody willing to spend that with most turbo. I mean we have seen many people running a gt35r on a stock mani. Which is by no means small and you really don't need anything bigger than it single turbo otherwise lag will suck. I already have an infaction and have learned the admins don't mess around here so I would advise listening to them and keeping your actions, and words, wise and polite.

I had the stock single piece manifold on my car and it ran 500hp. I needed a external wastegate with the GT35R turbo, and that at the time was a problem for me. NOTE: I was not aware of the fact that the stock turbo manifold was CAST STEEL! I bought the south flordia performance manifold and it looks very much like the one in the pictures.

So first thing, mild steel will not work! I reworked my manifold THREE times and still got warping. I made the manifold three pieces, like the EURO manifold, and it still warped. The center section that picks up the 3 & 4 had to many pipes attached in to small of space, so it continued to warp, and the turbo flange warped as well. This happened THREE times to me.

I ran the part, and since it was high temp coated in SILVER, the max temp was about 1200 degrees. Well the first thing that happened was the silver coating started coming off the manifold, not good, but workable. The problem that made me trash the part was that in the process of coating the outside of the part, they decided to coat the turbo outlet area as well to cover up the bad welding. Well, it worked for a time, then I blew up the car and that really cinced it. But, what was happening is the coating on the inside of the manifold started chipping away,,,,,, RIGHT TO MY EXHAUST TURBINE WHEEL! NOT GOOD!

So I started in on the Euro manifold, and BTW it has a larger tub section then the SFP manifold did in the first place. I worked the manifold, welded it up, ported it out and was trying to get it cast in 316L or so. That did not work, as the quote was to the tune of 8000.00-13000.00 to do the molding. No go on that one for me, unless you know of a shop that will cast the part cheap.

Now, I am back to the stock manifold again. I think the tube of the part is just about the same size as the EURO manifold, which is bigger then the aftermarket part I spent, all total about 3K on purchase and rework.

I did all my port work on the stock manifold, welded the sides of each outlet(except the center ports) and was able to cut a 1 3/4" hole in the bottom of the manifold under the turbo inlet flange. I am running a TIAL 44mm unit now.

So as far as the manifold is concerned. I am thinking I am going to get better flow then the SFP part, and about the same flow as the EURO manifold. I know I was able to do 658hp with the SFP part, so I am thiking the stock ported manifold really is a better part then the SFP part, and not as good as the EURO manifold because it is a single piece part, and is subject to warping more easily then the thre piece EURO manifold. The EURO three piece part was designed spicifically to stop the warping.

So if you know a shop that cast parts at a good price then let me know. I will run the EURO part and have an excellent part for all to use.

Whatever the case is, the part has to be standardized and built from the stock part locations, or most downpipes that have been built will not work.