HybridZ

L6 supercharging pully idea (pics)

OlderThanMe

I was just stacking parts on some shelving and I stacked a VH45 water pump pully on top of a L6 water pump pully...

Lo and behold they have the same bolt pattern.

The VH45 pully fits right over the stock pully so that you could run both of them at the same time.

b141344751.jpg

b141344699.jpg

b141344848.jpg

I am not building a supercharged L6... Just putting the idea out there.

One consideration is that you are going to be limited to the amount of drag you can apply to the pully because the V-belt has less surface area...

Just thought that this was interesting.

It might also be a way to run a more modern alternator with some modified mounts.

I was just stacking parts on some shelving and I stacked a VH45 water pump pully on top of a L6 water pump pully...

Lo and behold they have the same bolt pattern.

The VH45 pully fits right over the stock pully so that you could run both of them at the same time.

I am not building a supercharged L6... Just putting the idea out there.

One consideration is that you are going to be limited to the amount of drag you can apply to the pully because the V-belt has less surface area...

Just thought that this was interesting.

It might also be a way to run a more modern alternator with some modified mounts.

I think you have cool idea there, but with a V belt driving everything, it may slip, especially at high RPM. I know some people are running serpentine belts on NA L6s, but if you are going to go through all of that, you might as well just make a serpentine pulley to mount on the crank damper.

I think you have cool idea there, but with a V belt driving everything, it may slip, especially at high RPM. I know some people are running serpentine belts on NA L6s, but if you are going to go through all of that, you might as well just make a serpentine pulley to mount on the crank damper.

That is what I was thinking. I guess it would be better for running some other alternator though. Maybe one from a Q45 or some other big car.

What if you made a tensioner that mounted in-between the water pump and the stock alternator so that the V-belt wraps around the water pump pully, thus increasing contact area between the belt and pully?

Might be a decent low-buck idea for somebody...

I'd say it's a combination of tension and lack of overal surface area.

Remember that's it's not just about how much of the belt contacts the pully, but the pull diameter as well. A larger diameter pully has more contact space, thus more grip.

That's why Kenne Bell deisgns their superchargers to use LARGER pullys at any given PSI than most manufactures, as this allows them to achieve THE SAME frition/grip using less ribs on the pully, or GREATER friction/grip on the same ribbed pully.

When I first scanned the initial post olderthanme, I didn't notice WATER PUMP and was like thought that was the crank pully you were talking about at first. Boy would THAT have been an awesome score. Then I looked at the picture again and realized that wasn't the case.

If someone were going to run a supercharger like this, I don't see how it would be any different than just running it on the V belt though, other than the fact it'd be easier to find a supercharger that's compatible.

Shouldn't cost THAT much money to get it welded and balanced to a crank pully though would it?

Definately a cool find out OTM. Gonna store that nugget in the back of the head for sure.