HybridZ

Would You Donate Your Unwanted Car To Charity -vs- Sell Cheaply? Tax Break Question

slownrusty

Guys - I have decided to abandon my '78 Datsun 280Z project - sadly, as I simply do not have the time and as I am so picky with my cars, this particluar car is going to be a money pit (well they all are!) as well. And having 6 cars is ridiculous.

Soooo...

I could probably eBay it or sell it on Craigslist it for $1000 (tops).

-or-

donate it to Charity Goodwill for a value that is twice as much and use that to help me significantly for my '09 Taxes....

What would you do?

Here she is....sniff....

304553171.jpg

Regards- Yasin

If you donate it, be sure to pull the swasticas off. I'm sure you already thought of this, but those wheels in decent shape alone could bring you $300. As for the tax situation, check on the allowable donation deductions. I know for regular donations there is a max allowed. Be sure you don't hit that mark before as then you'd be SOL by donating it.

Brian

If I remember the donation laws correctly, the charity sells the car and then gives you a receipt for the actual amount sold. That is what you take off on your taxes. Money wise you always get more by selling it.

I think the car has a better chance of survival if it goes to a person. Unless you find a charity that teachs people to fix cars.

Say you donate it and they give it a value of $2000 (just to pick a number), you are then allowed to deducted it from you income. Meaning you don't have to pay tax on $2000 on your standard income. You don't get to apply $2000 to your tax debt.

I might be wrong but that is the way I understand it.

Never chose a tax deduction over cash. A tax deduction, at best, gets you 1/3 of the value of the same item sold for cash - and that's assuming you're in the top tax bracket. Event if you got a $2,000 tax deduction for a $1,000 item, you lost out on $333.

EDIT: As my tax guy always tells me, tax implications are a secondary consideration in all business and personal financial consideraitons. Make a sound financial decision and worry about how to handle the tax side later.

i'm an accountant, so just getting out of tax season i can give u some advice.

ANY charitable contributions are being looked at by the IRS. So if you do not have a receipt, a cancelled check, a statement from the organization WITH THE VALUE OF THE DONATED PROPERTY, you will be SOL if you get audited. For any NONCASH contributions (which this would most likely be) you have to disclose a little more information. Specifically, the name and address of the organization, when you acquired the property and for how much, and how the value of the property was determined when it was donated. Just make sure to have all of your bases covered. If you do not have a lot of other schedule A deductions (enough to exceed the standard deduction) such as mortgage interest, real estate tax, state taxes, medical expenses, business expenses, than it will not be worth it. For example, if you just have a W-2, you will not be able to claim the deduction. If you itemize, it will help you out a little.

I find it amazing how picky some of the non-profit organizations can be. Maybe it's just a thing here in CA though, with so many junky cars around, but I've witness first hand 3 cars (within my family) be refused to be taken, all 3 in running shape.

They tend to not like to take cars that are too old, or too rare. Probably because it costs them too much money to be moving a car that the can't sell.

Looks like I will sell on eBay or Craigslist, whichever brings the most $$$ in.

:iagree:

Give that baby another chance vice the crusher. You should get more than what a charity will offer you in terms of a "tax" write-off.

Good Luck Yasin!!