HybridZ

280ZX AWD Conversion?

Guest TwinCam

Guest TwinCam

In a short few months, I'm dumping a whole bunch of money money into my '83 ZXT, including an RB26DETT, now, what I need to know is: Would there be any way to convert my FR to AWD? Is it possible? or should I just leave my FR drivetrain alone? and if I did, would I be able to employ the R34 Six speed tranny still, or would it have to be an AWD setup to be able to use that? any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

JD

No offense, but with these questions you seem very ill prepared.

Converting your car to AWD is something that is based in fantasy land. I am not saying it can't be done... just that the time, money, R&D to make it work would not be worth it. It would be cheaper to swap your car, and buy a WRX imo.

I won't even get into the transmissions. Do some searching. You won't be using the AWD trans unless you heavily modify it. Not worth it IMO. There is a writeup on using an RB bell on a Z32 trans. Read it.

I am 99% sure there is no RWD 6 speed, or AWD 6 speed for that matter.

Evan

I'd say that if you really want to make this happen your best bet would be to track down a totalled STi and just try to drop the body on the wrx chassis.. Much like the owner of the Civette did.

IF you do decide to do such a thing please be prepared to spend A LOT of money, and go with the sti 6 spd tranny.. I've personally put an sti tranny through hell quite a few times and never saw a problem out of it. They're not known as bulletproof for no reason..

Guest TwinCam

sorry to sound like such a noob with the questions and all, I just read it, and was like "wow" lol, anyway, I've found a place 30 miles south of where I live that will do the complete RB26 swap for a total of $6,000, and include a gaurantee with it, this includes a tranny installed with it as well, the reason why I was asking is because I wanted to know if the awd MAY be a cheaper conversion, because I know that the install they'd do would be with the rb26 custom mated to the gts25 5-speed tranny which is more pricey than the standard rb26 that comes with the 6-speed, and believe me, I'd rather have the 6-speed, the difference between the rb26 with the 6-speed, and the rb26 with the 5-speed gts25 tranny is around $2,600 (the rb with the 6-speed being $3,700, and the 5-speed being $6,300. So with the difference between them, the $2,600, would that be enough for a drivetrain conversion? I know it would be a whole ton of work, and would involve a whole lot of moving components underneath, and would probably smarter to go the route I've already planned on, but the awd would just be awesome bragging rights, not to mention performance. I appreciate the info so far, but I'm not sure the sti is the right route for me, I like the cars (believe me, I do) but I've got 10K to work with, and with that, this could accomplish an amazing Z, or as the english say, Zed, lol

thanks in advance,

JD

sorry to sound like such a noob with the questions and all, I just read it, and was like "wow" lol, anyway, I've found a place 30 miles south of where I live that will do the complete RB26 swap for a total of $6,000, and include a gaurantee with it, this includes a tranny installed with it as well, the reason why I was asking is because I wanted to know if the awd MAY be a cheaper conversion, because I know that the install they'd do would be with the rb26 custom mated to the gts25 5-speed tranny which is more pricey than the standard rb26 that comes with the 6-speed, and believe me, I'd rather have the 6-speed, the difference between the rb26 with the 6-speed, and the rb26 with the 5-speed gts25 tranny is around $2,600 (the rb with the 6-speed being $3,700, and the 5-speed being $6,300. So with the difference between them, the $2,600, would that be enough for a drivetrain conversion? I know it would be a whole ton of work, and would involve a whole lot of moving components underneath, and would probably smarter to go the route I've already planned on, but the awd would just be awesome bragging rights, not to mention performance. I appreciate the info so far, but I'm not sure the sti is the right route for me, I like the cars (believe me, I do) but I've got 10K to work with, and with that, this could accomplish an amazing Z, or as the english say, Zed, lol

I think the short answer here that you are looking for is no....hell no!!

Do a search on this board for "awd" or "subaru".If your thinking AWD in a z then you should also be thinking - custom made everything, from cross members and control arms to suspension and axles,hubs brakes you name it,it will have to be made from scratch or heavily modified.

Then when you are done you will have to test it out and realize that half of the 20k you just spent has to be altered or changed all together to make it actually good for more than bragging rights.Trust me i have looked into it and read all of what really smart people have to say about awd z cars,there are like 2 such vehicles known and that is for good reason!!

$10k is very little to buy an RB26 and install it then have an amazing car ontop that. In other words, you'd have not nearly enough money for good suspension, brakes, paint, wheels/tires, interior, etc.

If you'd said you had at least $20k to work with, then it'd be a little more doable.

I may be missing something, but it seems very strange that the price for the install with the 5spd RWD tranny is more expensive. You can get a tranny from a Z32 and bolt it right up, last I checked, and that's only $500. But then you gotta modify the oil pan anyway.

That shop you've referenced is charging $6k for labor alone, right?

umm it can be done and its not immpossible it would just cost alot of money and it probably can't be done on a budget (you have to realize many of us modify our cars on a budget) so if you have enough money and enough skill, you can do anything.. i would think that if you did it you would have to position everything in a way that your front halfshafts would line up with your front wheels and then prol either modify your existing rear end to accept it or frabricate something custom

Guest TwinCam
I think the short answer here that you are looking for is no....hell no!!

Do a search on this board for "awd" or "subaru".If your thinking AWD in a z then you should also be thinking - custom made everything, from cross members and control arms to suspension and axles,hubs brakes you name it,it will have to be made from scratch or heavily modified.

Then when you are done you will have to test it out and realize that half of the 20k you just spent has to be altered or changed all together to make it actually good for more than bragging rights.Trust me i have looked into it and read all of what really smart people have to say about awd z cars,there are like 2 such vehicles known and that is for good reason!!

lol, that's exactly what I was thinking, and or afraid of, of course it CAN be done, but speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go? lol, thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it, and just to satisfy curiosity, I'm spending the 10K on 1: the engine swap, 2: a basket I've got saved on the Z store, includes a front/rear sway bar set (7/8" in front, 1" rear) all round kyb gas shocks, and an MSA body kit. 3: new toyo proxes all around. 4: Nismo seats (fakes, but oh well) and brackets, and yes, the seats are neccessary, my vinyl seats are pretty much dead, and the driver seat is literally broken) after all this, it should be quite awesome to put it lightly, I know it's no STI, but it's a Z. And yes, the 6k covers everything for this rb swap, and for a couple hundred bucks, he's bumping it up to 500bhp for me, with a couple custom things (intake, turbo boost) if anyone is interested, this is the web page for the guy who's doing it for me: http://hewittsmotorsports.com.

Again, thanks for all the info, I tried looking myself, couldn't find a whole lot, although I did find a 280Z on a Rover chassis all lifted up and what not, not exactly what I was looking for, lol

thanks again,

JD

$10k is very little to buy an RB26 and install it then have an amazing car ontop that. In other words, you'd have not nearly enough money for good suspension, brakes, paint, wheels/tires, interior, etc.

If you'd said you had at least $20k to work with, then it'd be a little more doable.

I may be missing something, but it seems very strange that the price for the install with the 5spd RWD tranny is more expensive. You can get a tranny from a Z32 and bolt it right up, last I checked, and that's only $500. But then you gotta modify the oil pan anyway.

That shop you've referenced is charging $6k for labor alone, right?

Z32 tranny does NOT bolt up without either an RB25DET or an AWD bellhousing.

AWD isn't really inherently RWD's superior, it's sort of a matter of preference. If it's worth the time, effort, and cost, you could make anything AWD (within reason, obviously, so none of the "What about a BMW Isetta" sort of ball busting). Keep in mind that when you're done, it's more than likely going to be a maintenance nightmare that no one will really know exactly how to work on. It's a Frankenstein car.

i have personally sean a 4x4 z at motorsports sho two years ago. the guy basically just put his z body on some truck frame.

and then i saw a movie on youtube that had this yellow 260z that was awd. he was in the canyons racing. i tried to find the movie but had no luck.

it is possible. but if i had to do it i would just use the body of my car and put it on the frame of another.

but just buy an sti and be done with it.

AWD isn't really inherently RWD's superior, it's sort of a matter of preference. If it's worth the time, effort, and cost, you could make anything AWD (within reason, obviously, so none of the "What about a BMW Isetta" sort of ball busting). Keep in mind that when you're done, it's more than likely going to be a maintenance nightmare that no one will really know exactly how to work on. It's a Frankenstein car.

I completely agree. Every since the explosion of evo's and sti's people have started to idolize them, when they have flaws just like any other car. Take it from someone that has driven an sti more times that I could count on my fingers and toes, they definitely have their drawbacks too. For one they have a fantastic 0-60 and then kind of fall on their faces after that (in stock form). You'd be surprised at how many cars (and the caliber of cars) that I've seen beat stock sti's. Another bad thing about them is that they are heavily FWD biased.. If you lose all grip for some reason (going around a corner waayyy too fast) it just slides in a straight line because of all the understeer.

In inclement weather the awd is awesome, but in dry weather I'd rather have a rwd car any day of the week. That is just my opinion of course..

I completely agree. Every since the explosion of evo's and sti's people have started to idolize them, when they have flaws just like any other car. Take it from someone that has driven an sti more times that I could count on my fingers and toes, they definitely have their drawbacks too. For one they have a fantastic 0-60 and then kind of fall on their faces after that (in stock form). You'd be surprised at how many cars (and the caliber of cars) that I've seen beat stock sti's. Another bad thing about them is that they are heavily FWD biased.. If you lose all grip for some reason (going around a corner waayyy too fast) it just slides in a straight line because of all the understeer.

In inclement weather the awd is awesome, but in dry weather I'd rather have a rwd car any day of the week. That is just my opinion of course..

^ditto sti's are front wheel biased and i think evo's might be also but i do know that they are a bit more balanced then the sti's the nissan awd system acts as a rwd car most of the time until it detects enough slippage to send power to the front wheels.. this setup would be pretty choice BUT the cost wouldn't be cheap.. i have seen an rb26 twin turbo 240z z on the site b4 but it was from japan and basically gutted.. either way if you can build it and or if you have a halfway decent mechanic it doesn't really matter what you have they should be able to work on it regardless..