HybridZ

Dash Cap doesnt match Glove Box

Challenger

Well I finally got my dash cap in and set it on the dash to see how it looks and it looks great. But..... my prior concern was regarding the glove box. Although mine is in excellent condition it doesnt match the dash cap. Does anyone know a good methods for matching these, does anyone sell a cover?

You could buy the SEM paint listed in this post

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

Then it would be the same texture and color. I did my dash with this stuff and it looks like the factory texture when your done. The trick is to make it happen in one try. going back in and trying to spot a section is so so.

Derek

I was going to say the same thing. My dash and glove compartment door haven't matched since I've had the car. They're made out of two different materials, so the only thing I can say is maybe one oxidizes more quickly. I've seen more that don't match than do, so it doesn't really bother me, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I stripped down my dash and cut down the crack buldges and put on the cap but it will only fit on the right side to the right of the speedo.. After that it doesnt fit well. How much did everyone have to trim and where? The instructions say you might need to trim it but It seems like way to much. Anyone have pictures.

Well I finally got the dash cap test fitted how I would want it to sit. I had to hold it down very TIGHT with duct tape to get it to stay but there was one edge in the left air vent that is bending. My question is is there a way to shrink this down or should I just make a slit so it lays flat? Anyone tried to "shrink" the dash cap? Would making a slit cause the dash to crack in the future?

I also noticed that the glove box door is NOT doing to fit. Im not sure What Ill do about it. Ill have to wait till the dash cap is permenatly installed.

Heres some pics.

DSCF4065.JPG

DSCF4067.JPG

Yes, cutting a slit or small section out will or very possibly cause it to crack later on.

There is a way to reduce the chaces of it craking and that is to drill a hole, at the very end of where the slit/section will end. So what you end up with is a small round hole and a line towards the vent opening.

I would avoid cutting anything out if I could. and would probably use a heat gun, to warm the cap and 'shrik' it that way, might take a while, but IMO would be better in the end. You will also likely need to use some sort of smoothing tool, to work the cap when heated, something like a wooden kitchen spoon would work well. You would have the wide spoon end to help flatten, and also the small diameter handle to work it. Just grab one from a local Dollar store. You might be able to find other small tools to work the buldge there as well.

I suppose you could use a heat gun if you are VERY careful. As was just mentioned, you could use a smoothing tool to get the lumps down.

Also, dittos on the SEM paint: Landau Black is by far the best paint/dye for matching or coloring plastics & vinyls. Yes, I have used the product on new *gasp* vinyl and it made it look even better!! It makes the finish on everything very even and monochrome. Variances in the gloss of the interior pieces detracts from the quality look everyone wants to have, but can't easily achieve.

Dan Juday---that was really cold.... :mrgreen:

Davy