HybridZ

Carburated Twin Turbo L-Series

Every once in a while I have some funky crazy idea about something. Well here is today's random insanity. While looking at a Turbo Tom system I thought, hey why couldnt you run that as a twin turbo system? After some thinking I figured out this design.

Its not properly dimensioned which might cause issues, I have no idea if two turbos would fit like this on an L engine. Its also not a flow through head but I wanted to show the intake and exhaust separately to simplify the drawing. The carb would be a four barrel, need to look into size requirements more. Turbos would be small-ish, 3000gt maybe? I read about welding up a log style exhaust manifold using cast steel plumbing parts. I think that would be the best solution here, simple and compact. Intake and exhaust sides of the turbo would be easy, just weld up some pipes. I think the wastegate being centered would work well for flow and there would be a little pocket of space there so it should fit well. Since there is no intercooler that would really simplify the plumbing, just a couple of u-bends and couplers is all it would take. Carb should fit well dead center between the SU manifolds. I'm still not sure about the air cleaner, I dont really like the thought of it sitting so close to the turbos especially with no intercoolers. Maybe a cold air intake would be a good idea.

So what do y'all think? I'm I still crazy or could this accutally work? I'm not promising that I'll build it but I'm just wondering if its worth putting more effort into.

CarbTwinTurbo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying, thought I was talking to the wall for a while..

I did some research and its basically impossible to fit two turbos of decent size on a log manifold. It could happen but theres a few mods and they would have to be smallish turbos. I've essentially given up on this idea because I'll be jumping straight to the EFI. but feel free to develop this if you want.

Bah, why two turbos? You can get 500+rwhp with one draw through setup! (granted my setup had lots of development time and a shot of nitrous or water injection depending on setup).:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/dynoplot.jpg

Engine:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/turbo1.jpg

Picture page:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/72Datsun.html

To answer the question before its asked - that motor is sold to someone else and I've been working on a RB26 swap, repainted the car, rewired, etc...

-Bob