HybridZ

Anyone know about automatics?

AKWIKZ

Looking for a little help here. The auto on my '92 Hardbody is acting up. The last few days is has been sticky upon start up. When I put it in drive it tries to stall the engine. This lasts about 3 minutes and then works fine. So today, after I get to work I put it into reverse and get nothing. I had some help pushing it out of the parking spot and it will go forward just fine. It shifts normally with no slippage. But no matter what, it will not go into reverse. I've checked the fluid and all seems to be right. My concern is that chances are the tranny fluid is the original stuff still. The truck only had 60k miles on it when I bought it two years ago and it has been sitting for nearly a decade with little use. I know I'm reaching here, but is there a chance that a simple flush and fill might solve this? Or am I looking at a new tranny?

Brian

Hey Brian,

I have seen a lot of converter problems with those transmissions, but this doesn't seem like that is the only problem just yet. I would believe something is gunking up the valve body. For a (hopefully) quick solution I would drain it out put a heavy duty cleaner and put some miles on it with the cleaner. Do it al all RPMs in order to clean out the TC too. Then refill it with the Nissan fluid. That may help. If you want to pop the pan off to look at the valve body.

I work on saturday if you want to bring the truck to the dealership. Give me a call.