HybridZ

1979 datsun 810 2 dr. L24E

Irishdog810

I'm restoring a 1979 datsun 810 2 door coupe with the original L24E engine. It has a 5 spd manual transmission. I bought the car from the original owner, and she bought it from the sales rep. I am new to the datsun world and could use ANY information and/or advice about the cars. The car had been sitting for ten years, but it did retain all of its fluids. I'm looking to modify the car's engine and body. Looking to get greater horsepower out of the engine, and go for a sportier look. Any information about parts or about rebuilding the car is appreciated and needed.

pics are to come, i have to figure out to post pics lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the car a 5-speed too? 2-door 810's are super-rare, so consider yourself lucky! For more power out of the engine, you'd probably be best off swapping to a larger engine. The 2.8 liter from the fuel-injected 280Z and ZX would fit very neatly, and the 2.8 liter turbo (L28ET) from the 280ZX would be a killer setup! Oh, and I think we all want to see pictures of the car :)

Is the car a 5-speed too? 2-door 810's are super-rare, so consider yourself lucky! For more power out of the engine, you'd probably be best off swapping to a larger engine. The 2.8 liter from the fuel-injected 280Z and ZX would fit very neatly, and the 2.8 liter turbo (L28ET) from the 280ZX would be a killer setup! Oh, and I think we all want to see pictures of the car :)
L28E/ETs do not fit 'very neatly' in 810/RWD Maximas. The 810s and Maximas are front sump engines so it would take a bit of machine shop work on the bottom end (oil pickup/dipstick location) of the L28E/ET plus the use of a 810/Maxima oil pan. Do-able, yes. Drop in, no. If you're going to do that, might as well do a stroker too like Steve (Zcarnut) did, though his isn't turboed. Might have an exhaust clearance problem on an 810 with a turbo.

L28E/ETs do not fit 'very neatly' in 810/RWD Maximas. The 810s and Maximas are front sump engines so it would take a bit of machine shop work on the bottom end (oil pickup/dipstick location) of the L28E/ET plus the use of a 810/Maxima oil pan. Do-able, yes. Drop in, no. If you're going to do that, might as well do a stroker too like Steve (Zcarnut) did, though his isn't turboed. Might have an exhaust clearance problem on an 810 with a turbo.

Stephen,

I got lucky and snatched this up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190195264863

Now all I need is to get the 810 L24E oil strainer and take my L28E to the machine shop. I hope there not NLA. :)

Joe, those oil pans and strainers can also come from a RWD Maxima. You can also even use the Maxima diesel oil pan which will give you and extra 1.25 qts. of oil capacity. We also get a handful of Maximas in the 'yards out here so if you can't find one, let me know. The first thing they grab on the diesel cars is the crankshaft but they usually leave the pan behind since it won't work on a Z. But the L24E is a much easier find than the L28D.

Chris, your car looks like a good starting point. Does you power antenna work? Or your power mirror and AC? Mine has both power mirrors.

Stephen,

I got lucky and snatched this up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190195264863

Now all I need is to get the 810 L24E oil strainer and take my L28E to the machine shop. I hope there not NLA. :)

Be careful Joe! That appears to be one of the coated L24E oil pans. Nissan applied a thick coat of paint to the inside surface to reduce the engine noise transmission through the pan. The late production diesel Maxima's had the same treatment.

According to a 1980's Nissan tech I talked to, the paint can come off in a layer and plug up the oil sump. I recommend removing it before you use the pan.

… Might have an exhaust clearance problem on an 810 with a turbo.

Stephen (Yardbird) is correct. The turbo housing will interfere with the 810’s re-circulating steering box. That is exactly why Nissan had to change over the 280ZX turbo to a rack-and-pinion steering set-up. The 810 and the NA 280ZX have the same front crossmember and steering system.

However, installing the L28 turbo engine into an 810 has been done! The owner had to change over to the 280ZX rack-and-pinion. After seeing this, I was encouraged to proceed with the steering system change in my 810.

Be careful Joe! That appears to be one of the coated L24E oil pans. Nissan applied a thick coat of paint to the inside surface to reduce the engine noise transmission through the pan. The late production diesel Maxima's had the same treatment.

According to a 1980's Nissan tech I talked to, the paint can come off in a layer and plug up the oil sump. I recommend removing it before you use the pan.

Steve,

Thanks for the tip looks like I will be sandblasting the inside clean or stripping it with automotive spray stripper. Is there another recommended method?

Considering a L28e engine swap. Would the swap make it easier to modify engine components??

Depends what you mean by 'easier'. More can be done with the L28 but you'll have to do the oil pan/strainer/dipstick mod unless you change over to the ZXT steering.

So, the all the problems with the oil pan/strainer/dipstick would be eliminated if I put the L28E with the ZXT steering??

No. The 810 requires an engine with a front oil sump. The L28 has a rear sump. So, you must convert it to a front sump.

If you want to use the L28 turbo engine then you must likewise convert it to a front sump and use the ZXT steering.