HybridZ

oil pressure

zmaster

I started and let my 75 280z today and let it idle for a little while, and I noticed somethin....... My oil pressure was about a 1/4 inch from the 0 lineI was wondering if this is normal or not. If not than I think I have bigger problems that my fuel pump.

The sending units for the stock Zcar oil pressure gauge are notorious for going bad. They are expensive to replace as well $40 - $60 buck if I recall depending on if you go OEM or aftermarket. I had one that leaked through the body of the sending unit as well and what a mess! An aftermarket gauge is a good alternative. These motors don't have a boatload of oil pressure when they are right and high milage examples seem to run fine with very little oil pressure. The oil pump has a high pressure relief vavle (I think) that limits the oil pressure to 60 psi. My brand new motor idles at 15-20 psi once warmed up and at mid range rpms is around 40-50 psi.

ok well it seems to run fine for now, I desperately need a oil change, and an oil filter. I am going to use Royal Purple Full Synthetic 10W or 5W 30 with K and N's oil filter. These are the oil products I use all of the time. I used to use Q full synthetic, but i switched.

Just go with some castrol 10-30 and a fram oil filter untill you get the thing really running;). Save a few bucks.

Btw congrats on how far you have made it in such a short time. Your bro still helping you? You should of added him in with your photo of yourself.

As far as your paint job, it looks nice, in your photobuk you add a pic that finnally showed off the paiint job better.