HybridZ

A few pics after my car was all completed, and driven to MSA.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

NAPS:

Nissan

Anti

Pollution

System

The EFI JDM cars had a stricter emissions criteria to meet than even California Specifications!

The Four Cylinders with the crossflow-heads got the "Ultimate" NAPS system: NAPS-Z as we all know "Z" is signifying the ultimate evolution of the design. Originally the L20E and L18E existed, and those cars had the same "NAPS" emblem on them, but due to the later changing of Emissions Restrictions within the JDM (not the USA as many people mistakenly thought) the EFI L-Heads were supplanted with the LZ series of heads on the pre-existing blocks-then they got the distinctive badging of "NAPS-Z". The pre NAPS-Z L18SSS EFI intakes are nice pieces if you can get them. If you are a four cylinder guy, that is!

The "E" is signifying the EFI system, and was first employed on the 1073 cars at the Tokyo Auto Show---the 260Z's Debut there was for the Fairlady 260Z-G/E a 2.6 Liter EFI car with power windows in 2+2 form. This was adopted in Showa 51 (1976) the car produced in S49 and 50 were of the later body style but still had carburettors. I think midway through S50, around June or July the EFI conversion occurred.

As for how many Z's do you need... Poor question. It's more how many do you want. Nobody needs a Z, and I don't ever justify it by need. Well, almost never. If you need parts, you need parts. And having a second Fairlady Z with power windows comes in handy as spares are hard to find...

I actually told her I was gonna buy a 1981 Datsun Diesal Truck this week, and she was like WHY, we have SO many other vehicles, I said, OK. She actually likes the Fairlady, she just gets annoyed at how I spend more time with it than her! HAHA. We actually bought the car the day we got back from our honey moon, so it was like "honey you know that extra money we have left over for the honey moon, can we use it to buy this ugly old car?" HAHA.

I actually told her I was gonna buy a 1981 Datsun Diesal Truck this week, and she was like WHY, we have SO many other vehicles, I said, OK. She actually likes the Fairlady, she just gets annoyed at how I spend more time with it than her! HAHA. We actually bought the car the day we got back from our honey moon, so it was like "honey you know that extra money we have left over for the honey moon, can we use it to buy this ugly old car?" HAHA.

That is gold, I love it.

I was tossing up buying a datsun 1200 ute when my corolla died, but since I have had the last two cars, I decided to buy my wife a new corolla instead. Now the next 2-3 cars will definitely be mine.

Datsun 1200 Ute....

gaaaarrrrggggggh!

Stick it in a container and send me one! My wife would be confliced over that for sure!!! 30+mpg AND a ute bed to haul the hay bales for the animals... An 'easy sell' if I ever had one. Put some shiny paint on it so it looked decent and the boy would be sullenly driving the Y2K Frontier to school instead of the Ute...which I'm sure he'd prefer!!! LOL

I really do love seeing a 2+2 with power. Right now I have my 2+2 looking fast, but with no power to back it up.

What do you think of a 2+2 with power versus a coupe with the same power?

It's an invalid comparison. My Fairlady Z 2+2 weighs considerably less than a comparable year US-Spec Coupe.

With me in it at 255#, I scaled in my 75 Fairlady Z 2/2 at 2695#...

Do the math.

Bryan's ZL model is slightly heavier...but I doubt Bryan is 255#, either!:D

Really, the comparison is 'Fairlady -vs- US Market' and the Fairladys always feel sportier, faster, and more connected IMO than a US Spec model. Stock for Stock. Gearing is better suited for the power range of the engine, the car is lighter, all the springs and bushings are stiffer...

Really, after starting out in a Fairlady Z and owning only Fairlady Z's for close to 6 years it was a shock for me when I drove my first US Specification vehicle as the first impression I got was what a 'wallowing pig' the US Spec model was handling wise.

That's bascially what I just gave you... a Fairlady Z 2/2 will outperform a comparable year US Specification coupe with the same power specifications. My car is consistently 1 full second + faster in the 1/4 mile than every 75/76 US Spec coupe I've come across. So consternating is this fact to some owners, they actually swore at me (in the Texas ZCon some years back!)

For like-market models, the coupes will have some handling and performance advantages due to the lighter weight (stock versus stock), but the 2+2 will have a lightly less choppy ride due to the wheelbase difference.

A 2+2 is pretty stable at 170.325mph...:D "One handed drive!"

I'd assume a coupe would be a bit less stable at that same speed.