HybridZ

Honda problems

savageskaterkid

I know that this isn't Z car related, but I have a 92 civic thats been having problems, and I wanna figure them out before I'm stranded. I know that the older civics have dizzy problems, and I can't seem to find symptoms. The car will misfire under light load, but if I punch it, it'll clear up, and its always right after a shift. Anybody know the symptoms of the honda dizzy failure?

I did check them recently, they looked good, and that they were firing consistantly between cylinders. The wires are some random off brand. I bought the car off a buddy, and he said he replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires and such a few thousand miles ago. He said he never had a misfire, but when he drives it tends to live at upper RPM's. Its been missing more lately at low RPM's, not sure whats going on. Maybe its not enough fire power to keep it going? And when I punch it, it gives some more power to light the mix?

think it may have advanced a bit? I checked the timing, but I was having problems understanding the marks, its not cut and dry like a nissan. Like my sentra and the SR's have each mark is 5*, but there is 2 arrows on the honda, idk which I actually use to time it, none of the arrows even point to a mark on the pulley.

Alright, the self contained dizzy has a tendency to flat out fail. I believe it is due to high heat for too long. The price is not toooo bad to just repalce the whole dizzy, even if that is not the problem it will be soon enough.

Thats what I'm thinkin, but if there is another problem, I'd rather fix it first, before buying the dizzy, and having the same problem that may have been a simple fix.

My wife's civic has the EXACT same problem on occasion. I found out it CONSISTANTLY burns plug wire boots right at the seam between the long plastic piece, and the rubber end. The arc then shorts to ground. Its' gone through 3 sets of wires within 2 years. Same problem every time! If I wrap the seam with a couple of layers of electrical tape, it fixes it for a while, but it eventually arcs through it.

plugwiressj6.jpg

My wife's civic has the EXACT same problem on occasion. I found out it CONSISTANTLY burns plug wire boots right at the seam between the long plastic piece, and the rubber end. The arc then shorts to ground. Its' gone through 3 sets of wires within 2 years. Same problem every time! If I wrap the seam with a couple of layers of electrical tape, it fixes it for a while, but it eventually arcs through it.

plugwiressj6.jpg

I'm definitly gonna look into this

That statement doesn't describe it at all, honda's are reliable, and thats really all they have going for them.

Now if I said, why is my honda slow, then that would be the PERFECT answer. haha

you are right they are really reliable, and a few get about 35-40 mpg on gas which is awesome.

I had a Honda and the dizzy bearings were going bad causing the same problem. Honda had a recall at the time for that problem. Mid 1990 cars. I just replaced the dizzy and it cleared up. You should pull the dizzy and inspect the bearings.

I've been looking everywhere howto time a D15 and can not find it anywhere. Everything is about the B18 now. Is there anything special needed to time it. Like on newer nissans you have to put the car into timing mode, do honda's need this? How do I get into timing mode on a honda? And I see 2 timing indicator arrows, which do I use?