HybridZ

How or where does one find a donor LS1 car?

I live in the Houston area and I am looking to do an LS1 or LS2 T56 swap into beloved my 78' Z. What is the best way to go about finding a donor car? I do travel the U.S. quite a bit, so locating a good deal out of my area is not out of the question. I have thought about just buying a running and driving car but I am hoping to get a better deal. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

there are mixed opinons.. but it all depends on what you are doing. i favor the iron block motors, they are only about 60-70lbs heavier, and bunches cheaper.

if you want something that has a bit of pep and you arent shooting for over 450rwhp get a 5.3 truck motor, you can get a cast iron block one for $600-1000 complete. aluminum blocked 5.3s are fairly common to because they were in all V8 trail blazer style suvs, but they will be more. if you are shooting for 450+ rwhp id go with a 6.0 LQ4 truck motor, you can find them for $800-2000 complete. with some $800 factory heads and a big cam through a stick will put down 550rwhp..

its all about what you want to do with your car.

I just started searching JY's on the internet. There are a few that specilize in donor cars and drop-out engine/trans packages that include everything you need for an engine swap. There are usually a few on Ebay from reputable dealers.

Good luck,

Mike

Well I have looked off and on for a while for a LS1 and had many projects that got in the way but I just bought a LS1 and auto trans from Miracle Auto Parts in Houston with a bunch of extras for $5100. I will post up when I get pictures after delivery Wednesday.