HybridZ

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

Here's the start of a Vintage Air Gen II compact installation. I was not satisfied with just recirculated air. A little bit of ingenuity and I'll now have the option of cabin or fresh air. You can see that I changed the fan housing to move it 2" to the passenger side. The fresh air intake had to be opened to align with the cowl opening and the outlet was changed too. A honda fan motor is also being used to add air volume. The evaporator case will be wrapped in damplifier before final install to reduce associated noise levels. The tunnel and cowl were both slightly modified with a hammer to fit the unit. The other pictures show the control panel fitted into a panel I had made. It replaces the stock illuminated control panel. The area to left of the controls will hold a push/pull lever to open/close the air vent in the fan housing. I'm also modding the VA control panel to add more lighting as theirs is less than favorable.

DSC05415 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05413 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05435 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05438 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05440 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

I thought about bringing in outside air with mine but VA advises against it. You might want to call them to get their input. They have a very friendly help desk.

Here's the start of a Vintage Air Gen II compact installation. I was not satisfied with just recirculated air. A little bit of ingenuity and I'll now have the option of cabin or fresh air. You can see that I changed the fan housing to move it 2" to the passenger side. The fresh air intake had to be opened to align with the cowl opening and the outlet was changed too. A honda fan motor is also being used to add air volume. The evaporator case will be wrapped in damplifier before final install to reduce associated noise levels. The tunnel and cowl were both slightly modified with a hammer to fit the unit. The other pictures show the control panel fitted into a panel I had made. It replaces the stock illuminated control panel. The area to left of the controls will hold a push/pull lever to open/close the air vent in the fan housing. I'm also modding the VA control panel to add more lighting as theirs is less than favorable.

I appreciate their knowledge. If put up against 200+ car manufacturers that do incorporate fresh air then I think VA is taking the easy way out. Certainly, it's easier to control humidity within an enclosed space. If it was the best way then why would all of the manufacturers go through the engineering and costs to include it? It wasn't as if it was terribly hard to make the changes in my 240Z. Should I find it to be unacceptable I'll just leave the vent closed to outside air.

Stop farting so much and you won't need fresh air intake!

I have a/c tape over my fresh air intake and there are times when I wouldn't mind bringing in a little air.

I like that slide vent your using. I'm not super happy with the rotary knob unit I'm using.

Derek

Stop farting so much and you won't need fresh air intake!

I have a/c tape over my fresh air intake and there are times when I wouldn't mind bringing in a little air.

I like that slide vent your using. I'm not super happy with the rotary knob unit I'm using.

Derek

Dont have your car computer controling it yet?

Dont have your car computer controling it yet?

No but I have it controlling my farting!

Right now with everything going on with the manifold that will be last on the list! It's still on the list though. The round knob panel looks good but the knobs are a little small and slippery and the symbols are really small to read. The lighting leaves something to be desired as well.

Derek

Derek, What material are the hardlines? Where did you get the fittings, where did you get the hoses?

I would assume that you went somewhere to get the fittings crimped? I am at a loss here, I have everything but need the lines to attach everything.

Did you use R12 or R134?

Any website that can help me ou with those parts?

thanks

Dayz

First thanks for the right up :icon14:.

Second I'm also curious about the fittings and hard lines.

If its not too much trouble could you take a couple more pics of the engine bay a little further out around the compressor?

Thanks,

Warren

You can buy aluminum or s/s hardlines from Vintage Air. Both come in different lengths. The s/s lines can be silver soldered for truly custom fit. They also sell Aeroquip a/c hose and fittings you can fab in your driveway. The cost of parts is a bit higher but the end results is excellent. You don't have to buy a beadlock crimper ($$$) or locate an a/c shop ($$$) to crimp for you either.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Derek does your unit do heating as well? did the unit connect to all the stock vents? could you by chance post all the part numbers you used? Does this render the stock vent controls useless? does the original fan have to be removed? Thank you for your help! summer is around the corner and im a bit over my head trying to prep the z....