HybridZ

I really like the idea of the scarab hood. I happen to have 2 280z hoods sitting around right now, and I obviously only need 1 for the car. I have searched all our Z forums and I got lots of info on the scarab hood but none on how to get one. So, my idea is to have one made. Anyone got any info on how I could get one or what it might cost me to have the sheet metal fabrication done, I would really appreciate it. I want to get my hands on one and do some aero backyard aero testing.

In a couple days Im going to post some pics of my Z and see if you guys can tell me what kinda airdam and whale tail I have. I am the 3rd owner of this Z and it has some aero modifications from way back in the day...

I posted (after searching) looking for this same info in the body kits and paint forum. No one posted up any usefull info so it looks like a picture is the best we are gonna get. Seems the original Scarab had one row of louvers per side. I have found several pictures of original hoods but I like the custom hood in this thread:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131871

I think whatever benefit the louvers would have with venting underhood heat, more is better.

edit: I pm'ed mikelly about who might have louvered this hood.

I think the louvers would do more for venting pressure in the engine compartment than heat, but heat of course too. It looks like it is up to us to make a custom hood. I guess I can bring in a pic of a scarab hood to a sheet metal guy and say "can you make this?"

Please let me know what mike has to say.

I'm almost positive that hood is the old MSA steel louvered hood (I have an older catalog somewhere that shows that hood in it, but all the new ones have a much less stylish hood in them), but the one they sell now is different. Last time i saw a hood like that for sale was on ebay, literally days before I got my current zcar back in '05. I used to watch for them all the time, but now I don't, so they may be easier to find these days, or harder, I don't really know.

I had these louvers punched in the hood in 1982. I had no idea that they were Scarab style. Maybe the photo can help get a hood a made. I think I paid $1/louver, but that was a long time ago.

I can say that the louvers really help dissipate heat.

Tom

IMG_9774-1.jpg

Thanks, that looks damn nice. Looking at your car reminds me of those really nice jags with the louvered hoods. I bet they do it for evacuating heat from some of their huge hot motors.

I had these louvers punched in the hood in 1982. I had no idea that they were Scarab style. Maybe the photo can help get a hood a made. I think I paid $1/louver, but that was a long time ago.

I can say that the louvers really help dissipate heat.

Tom

IMG_9774-1.jpg