HybridZ

Buying an LS1 motor

I am about to buy a 2002 Camaro LS1 motor w/ at and all accecessories with 20,00 miles, Wilson intake and throttle body, procharger with dual intercoolers for $5000.00 dollars. It is a wrecking yard cutout (still in the car) that they say I can hear run. I don't think the dual intercoolers will work in a 240Z but I can sell them to get one that will.

Ken

Here's the motor still in the car. I will here it run Saturday and if it checks out they will pull it. He said it was a Wilson intake and I thought it might be one of the new fabricated ones but it's the FAST intake and that is still a good deal.

LS1_thumb.JPG

I don't know which procharger it is, pulley size or psi it was running. It is an automatic and the trans goes with it. The car is at a wholeseller who bought the car. He says it sounds like it has forged pistons because you can hear that light piston slap sound when it first runs and may have a cam. I am not that familiar with modded LS1 motors. I know some people that switch to synthetic oil speak of the piston slap sound in their motors. I wish someone on that side of town could look at it with me. It has a FAST intake and throttle body.

I would go check it out. Also call up ATI and see if you can send them the Procharger head unit and have them inspect it for damage etc when you buy it. They are really awesome. Also if you went and checked it out you can see if its a P1 or a D1, the P1SC has a smaller blade so it will be more boost limited, and the D1SC has a bigger blade so you can make more boost.

I ask all these questions because I have a 2004 GTO LS1 (automatic) that I am putting into my 240z that has a D1SC procharger on it, running 7-8psi. Your car is gonna haul ass.

I ran the motor Saturday and it idles and sounds like it has a cam. It will be delivered today. I know you can measure lift with the valve covers off and probably measuring duration with a degree wheel. I don't really want to open the motor up but would like to know what I got. I need to order a bunch of stuff $$$$ and do a lot of work getting the car ready and don't want to spend any more money on the motor than necessary until it's running and then will get a dyno tune.

you could always just pull the front cover off the motor and see whats engraved on the end of the cam then just button it back up. i know my aftermarket cam had the lift etched into the end so it would give you a fairly easy way to check...

Guest Gr8White
it could have messed up the integrity of the Procharger / ball bearing.

Exactly, I would not run that thing until ATI got a look at the internals...

Get the radiator shroud and fans along with the motor. The shroud can be trimmed to fit a datsun radiator that has been converted to a 4-row. That will keepyou plenty cool and allow the fans to be controlled by the LS1 PCM as in a stock application. Simplifies your install.