HybridZ

Finally got me a new bike!! Bite me gas prices!!

Slammed68

Should be 40 something...

My Honda Civic just pulled 47 mpg (no kidding!) on a 500 mile trip. 40 in town would be OK I guess, especially from a sport bike, but wouldn't you want 75+ mpg from a scooter just to save some more gas money?? :mrgreen:

Davy

I got 50+ mpg on my bike if I grannied it, but it's the tires that'll make up for your gas savings, especially if you're riding straight most of the time (squares off your tires quick). If you ride that bike remotely as it was intended, you may average out to maybe 40mpg, and you're sticking Premium in there.

Still, very cool bike. I'm going to miss mine (very bad accident)

Beautiful bike. I really would like an R1, again. It is just not practical right now, though. I do have a TLS1000, though. I can get 40mpg highway with it, so I would think you should be able to get high 40's with that, if your not spinning it. ;)

For the extra lets say 8k+ that you would spend on a bike, that would take ALOT of time to make any savings of it. I am not talking to you directly, but lots of my friends, say "hey I am gonna buy a new car for 30k, that gets 35 MPG and I will be saving money" What they dont understand, is that for the extra 35k+ you would have to drive it for DECADES, to even get back any profitable return!

For the extra lets say 8k+ that you would spend on a bike, that would take ALOT of time to make any savings of it. I am not talking to you directly, but lots of my friends, say "hey I am gonna buy a new car for 30k, that gets 35 MPG and I will be saving money" What they dont understand, is that for the extra 35k+ you would have to drive it for DECADES, to even get back any profitable return!

Same applies to hybrids, from what Ive seen takes ~5 years to make up the difference in mileage.

Well Ive considered getting a motorcycle this summer, but It wont be for mileage, mostly for fun. Althought the good mileage is a added plus.

Lets just say a "hybrid" gets about 50 mpg. Then you have a 280z, that gets 25mpg.

The 280z, cost anywhere from 1000-2000.

The hybrid after taxes, etc. your looking at about 30K+.

So at 4.00 a gallon, if you drive 200 miles a week, which is somewhat average, you burn about 4 gallons in the hybrid, and 8 gallons in the 280z.

So you saved 16 dollars that week.

28k/16.00=

1750 weeks.

Then 1750weeks, over 52 weeks a year= about 33.5 YEARS to BREAK EVEN. So to justify buying a NEW CAR to save money, is not really very realistic.

Again this is all just an example.

That is just the economics of it. The reality of it is in the deaths per 100,000 riders vs. deaths per 100,000 car drivers. :shock:

IMO I may not be worth much, but I'm worth more than a few bucks saved riding a bike. Personal choice, not against bikes, just me.

But it is a nice bike! Hope you enjoy it, hope your safe!

I've had bikes, GS750, KZ550-4, KZ900Z1, YZ490, CR250R. I was young once too. I'm not anymore and I've done about all I need to with bikes (fall down, fly over the handlebars, etc), so I stay off of them.

It still makes me drool over how nice these new ones look compared to the days of old, not to mention the performance. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Damn looks nice....I just wish I was tall enough to ride an R6. (Only 5'7") which is why next month I'm picking up a new gsx-r 600. for the lower seat :D

You should be riding your bike, not stopped and trying to put your feet down. I've seen plenty of people who are under your height and learn to tiptoe when necessary, and lean the bike over at other times. Also, you can lower the bike and/or the seat, if necessary.

Looks wicked.

Unfortunaly I just don't trust myself, others, or my pocket enough to own a bike. Too many things to carry with me everywhere, not enough money to invest in a nice bike.

The main thing, is that I just don't trust drivers around here. I'm sure aux can share my sympathy. South bay drivers are BAD.