HybridZ

My 1UZ 280zx swap

I i just realised there was a mistake in one of the notes I put on the diagram called '92 1 of 2.pdf

In the bottom left corner the note should have been to connect to 30A supply switched from the ignition and not from the M-REL on the ECU. Anyway here is the correct one.

'92 1 of 2.pdf

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hey, I've been pretty busy doing some work on it and I will try to post the progress up here soon. I now have done the following things, wiring for engine, most of power steering (including a cooler), remote engine oil cooler and filter, finished both of the headers (just need ceramic coating), radiator hoses, installed high flow fuel pump, painted mounts.... I think that is it.

I have also mounted the engine and gearbox in the car including installing the clutch, flywheel etc. The things left to do are relocate the battery to the boot, mount the power steering reservoir, replace timing belt and water pump and make a pipe to connect the throttle body to the air flow meter.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do these last parts to get the engine running as I have to move overseas for a couple of months for work.... So it is all very close but I'm leaving in two weeks and need to pack up my house and garage to put everything into storage as I'm still living in a sharehouse.... fun times!

I'll try to post up some pictures and a bit more detail of what I've done, but unfortunately it will now be about another 6 months or so before I can post a video of it running....

Did you get it running? did your diagrams work out mate?

Are you using the stock 280zx rack and 1UZ PS unit?

Love to see pics of your remote oil filter setup, think I will need to do something like that as well!

Nice work mate, sounds like your making good progress, I keep getting side-tracked with other crap and changing crossmembers, so I think I am about where I was 6mths ago :-)

To answer your question eec564, I work with the engineering company ABB. I've got a mechanical eng and materials science background but I basically look after projects installing and commisioning high voltage gas insulated switchgear (for power substations) and generator circuit breakers in power plants. It will be good to go over and get some more training and also a great chance for a bit of a holiday, but just not so good for getting the car finished! :)

I haven't actually got it running, becuase of the things I mentioned before. I probably could have rushed the bits I mentioned before, although I didn't see much point as I still haven't finalised the clutch master cylinder or coated the headers, so I wouldn't drive anywhere and I'd have to pull the headers off again once I get back....

I'm using the stock 1UZ power steering pump and stock 280zx rack. I basically just used a reshaped short section of the original hard lines that attach to the rack and then have made custom hoses to connect everything up from there.

I've attached a couple of pics that show a few of the things I've been working on. Also I've modified the drivers side header a little since taking that pic, painted the gearbox mount and a few other bits, but hopefully that give you all and idea of where I'm at.

I'll have to try to take a couple more before I put it all away in storage.

DSC00610_thumb.jpg

Gearbox Mount_thumb.jpg

I hope these aren

Headers almost done_thumb.jpg

passernger side_thumb.jpg

Don't rush it. As long as it isn't your daily driver, take your time and do it right. It sucks to have to pull apart your work to do it again. It really sucks when you had the time and knowledge to do it right the first time. You'll get it, we're not worried, only watching and egging along.

That sounds like a nice and interesting job. Lots of custom work with something different every day. I didn't know they were gas insulated (nitrogen?) to reduce arcing and extend contact life. Some of the older (40+ years) switching stations have oil filled disconnects. Go and enjoy the change of pace, keep us updated and be sure to let us know if you have any new ideas for the build or just want to bounce some thoughts off of someone.

-Eric

Hey Eric thanks for the encouragement, for a while there it seemed to be getting no where... although I hope to be having the car driveable a month or two after I get back. Luckily I do have another car that I use for day to day transport so I can just work on the zed when I get a chance.

A few other things that I forgot to mention before is I have put the bonnet back on and had to cut the top off the accelerator cable/spring bracket to get the bonnet to close. This shouldn't be too much of an issue to reposition. The factory intake connecting to the throttle body won't fit as it hits the bonnet, although I planned on makign a custom one anyway so that doesn't really worry me.

Also the wiring diagrams I had don't line up exactly with the engine I have. The wiring diagrams are for US delivered cars and the one I have is a JDM engine. Basically i just has a bunch less wires (which suited me fine) as there are only two oxygen sensors rather than four, no egr and a couple of other little bits. I will try to draw up a diagram of how I've connected it all up for anyone that is interested.

As for the switchgear, most of the stuff you'll see around is air insulated although I work with products that condense the whole switchyard into a much smaller building. The insulation gas that is used is SF6 (sulfur hexafluoride) as it has very good arc quenching properties...

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say I've read your thread, Marc280, and really appreciate all the information you are including as you progress with your project. I have a 1UZ-FE I disassembled, measured (blue-printed), and reassembled in an engines class; and my goal is to swap it into my 1973 S30. I'll make my own thread to follow my own project, but will surely be frequenting yours to get ideas. Thanks again, and I look forward to your input throughout.

It's an awesome swap to make. I have a Lexus LS400, and I've always felt that with either a good set of cams or un-natural aspiration, or both, and proper tuning, that engine would wake up and sing. Even in a fairly stock format, there should be a lot to gain with tuning and optimal shift points. The cost with aftermarket cams is an issue, with four needing to be done, vs one for a L6 or chevy. DOHC V-engines get expensive quick. http://www.lextreme.com has some nice stuff. Cams, superchargers, etc. Not cheap, but not horrid considering the size of the aftermarket.

DocMuffin - once you start your own thread, let us know, we'll be sure to follow along and offer help.

Hey DoctorMuffin, great to hear of another person looking to swap a 1uz into a zed and that my posts may actually help someone... I look faward to seeing your thread and how you go and if you've got any questions I'll do my best to help!

A few other things that I forgot to mention before is I have put the bonnet back on and had to cut the top off the accelerator cable/spring bracket to get the bonnet to close. This shouldn't be too much of an issue to reposition. The factory intake connecting to the throttle body won't fit as it hits the bonnet, although I planned on makign a custom one anyway so that doesn't really worry me.

Hey mate, do you have any pics of what you did with the throttle linkage, or where you cut it, it looks like I have bonnet clearance issues as well!!!

Also the wiring diagrams I had don't line up exactly with the engine I have. The wiring diagrams are for US delivered cars and the one I have is a JDM engine. Basically i just has a bunch less wires (which suited me fine) as there are only two oxygen sensors rather than four, no egr and a couple of other little bits. I will try to draw up a diagram of how I've connected it all up for anyone that is interested.

I am super interested for your diagrams mate if you get the time to post them :-)!

Thanks, Marc280. I'm actually thinking about my rearend right now and I'm looking into Gabriel's conversion. Check my thread. I'm getting really excited about this.

DoctorMuffn, r you going to work on your 240z with the 1 UZ FE? have you started? I have a 260Z and i am planning to put in the 1UZ FE too.do you think it will fit easily in 260Z too?

i am considering to put in the RB26 also if 1UZ FE is too difficult to do. FYI, i am not really good on mechanical.

dear all, please share your precious experience to me and I am very very much appreciated.

You're in the right place, Johnny Wong. And I have a thread that will be showing my progress, but Marc280 and tonycharger72 are the guys to talk to.

I just looked at tonycharger72's fabrication thread and what he has done opens up my eyes for the incredible opportunities and flexibilities that exist for our Z cars. Take some time to look at their threads and see what influences their thought processes.

Then start. You'll be in the same place as I am in no time and it'll feel great being on your way.

You're in the right place, Johnny Wong. And I have a thread that will be showing my progress, but Marc280 and tonycharger72 are the guys to talk to.

I just looked at tonycharger72's fabrication thread and what he has done opens up my eyes for the incredible opportunities and flexibilities that exist for our Z cars. Take some time to look at their threads and see what influences their thought processes.

Then start. You'll be in the same place as I am in no time and it'll feel great being on your way.

thanks man...:burnout:

dear all,

i have a 260z just bought. the car is not rusted but most of the emblem are gone, tail light is not right, dash board is cracked. i am looking for all these parts for my restoration. do any one else got these parts that can sell to me? or where can i find it for cheap.

comes to the main story... i had read through many thread from this forum and others, i am not sure which engine is most easier to fit in the s30. vh45,vk45,rb26,rb25,1uzfe or 1 uzfe ? of cause i will also consider the cost of my project too. i prefer most a v8 n/a or i can bolt on turbo too at later time when i got more budget.

as i know, v8 of vk45 can produce around 300hp and toque. its lighter and more response. i wish to build a responsive drift car with low maintainance compare to turbo.

i know you guys are going on with your own project now. i hope you guys can give me some precious opinion for this.

thanks a lot. :burnout:

Hey mate, do you have any pics of what you did with the throttle linkage, or where you cut it, it looks like I have bonnet clearance issues as well!!!

I am super interested for your diagrams mate if you get the time to post them :-)!

Hey Tonycharger, sorry, but I don't have any pics of where I cut the throttle linkage. To try and explain it I basically cut about 10mm off the top piece of aluminium that the bracket for the throttle body springs connect to... hopefully that makes some sense.

As for the diagrams, I've attached the following one which is how I've wired things up so far. As you can see there aren't really that many wires on the ecu that you should have to touch. What I haven't shown is the bunch of wires that I removed, although if your not confident in removing any wires I'd just leave them there as the only they should do is add a tiny bit of dead weight and make the loom thicker.

One thing that hopefully should be clear from the diagrams is how the computer gets its power. Basically there is +12V ignition on Pin 1 in the 40 pin plug which is then used to trigger an output from M-REL Pin 24 which turns on the master relay which then powers the ecu (Pins 31 & 32). I can't remember exactly why it is designed this way although I did read about it somewhere I think it was at http://www.autoshop101.com/ (a great source of info for Toyota cars)

The other inputs you need is a constant +12V from the battery Pin 33 (otherwise you'll reset the computer everytime you turn the car off). A start signal and then a couple of grounds and you should be good to go! Unfortunately this only been tested with a multimeter so far as I'm now in Germany and the car is in storage back in Australia.... but from all the reading I've done and working through the diagrams this should work.

When I get back to Australia I'm going to update the diagram with all the colours for the wires (including the ones I added) so in a couple of years I'll be able to work out what I've done! Hopefully that is of some help, although don't go relying on it to be 100% correct just yet as I've still got to actually test it, which won't be for another couple of months...

1UZ Wiring_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny,

if your looking for parts, your best bet is probably to post in the wanted section of the classifieds.

Each engine you've mentioned will have its challenges although there are already plenty of people that have swapped rb25 and rb26 engines. I think there is also someone here who has done a vk or vh45. Your best bet is to keep searching as all the info your looking for is already on this site.