HybridZ

My 1UZ 280zx swap

I have put my bonnet on and it appears as if the throttle linkage clears ok, but the intake piping - the plastic bit straight after the throttle body has clearance issues with the bonnet - so will probably need a different solution alltogether - but see how it goes, I will most likely make a fibreglass bonnet anyways so can amend things then!

Thanks for the wiring information mate,

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/field.php

About half-way down the page there is a fellow who has done a 1UZ conversion with documentation on how to wire in the Adaptronic ECU, between your diagrams and his diagrams I should be right!

Thanks again!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonny,

if your looking for parts, your best bet is probably to post in the wanted section of the classifieds.

Each engine you've mentioned will have its challenges although there are already plenty of people that have swapped rb25 and rb26 engines. I think there is also someone here who has done a vk or vh45. Your best bet is to keep searching as all the info your looking for is already on this site.

thanks for your advise man..!! i prefer the vh or vk450 v8 more due it is from the same blood. i have been tired playing turbo with my gtr32 last time. i used to have it for drag and i got runner up. its nice with rb26 but i wish to play something different. drag racing cost me too much. therefore i am looking something easy and low maintenance ,responsive engine and better torque to drift.

many of my friend advice not to install the v8 engines because the after market mod parts are too limited in Malaysia. but however, i still keen to make the first 450Z in malaysia..hahaha since you guys are so pro now..i can get you guys to help me for advice right???!!

hey mark, how's the build coming along?

I'm just working on my last exam for the semester atm. sorry i never got around to finding the time to come over an have a look (bizarre being that im only down the road)... perhaps some time next month when i get some holidays... i'm still very keen.

Also, still looking for an l28 to play with if you know anyone local (darkside turbo build potentially for my coupe or cedric sedan!).

Hey kolonelklink87,

No worries, I know uni can get pretty busy. The build is kinda on hold for a while as I'm over in Europe for a couple of months with work, so it's all in storage now... When I get back I've gotta try to find a new place to live (was a rental house) and then finish it off!

So if your still keen in a couple of months, I'll let you know where I am and I can show you.

If I hear of any local l28 engine/parts, I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tonycharger,

Yeah the engine is from a soarer, I haven't actually fixed up the hydraulic fan setup yet. I plan to just pull it apart and take out the parts for pumping the hydraulic oil. There are a couple of posts on Lextreme about doing this. Seeing as I haven't had it apart yet I'm not too sure about exactly what needs to be done but I hope to work it out when I get it off.

Otherwise I'm told that a Celsior (or crown... can't remember exactly) mechanical fan setup bolts straight on and then you can just remove the fan and use it as an idler. Another option is (apprently) a 2uz fan setup from a landcruiser as I've heard these also bolt straight on.

Hope that helps a little.

Hey Tonycharger,

Yeah the engine is from a soarer, I haven't actually fixed up the hydraulic fan setup yet. I plan to just pull it apart and take out the parts for pumping the hydraulic oil. There are a couple of posts on Lextreme about doing this. Seeing as I haven't had it apart yet I'm not too sure about exactly what needs to be done but I hope to work it out when I get it off.

Otherwise I'm told that a Celsior (or crown... can't remember exactly) mechanical fan setup bolts straight on and then you can just remove the fan and use it as an idler. Another option is (apprently) a 2uz fan setup from a landcruiser as I've heard these also bolt straight on.

Hope that helps a little.

Yeah I knew about the Crown idle pulley or trimming the 4.7L 2UZ pulley - I remember seeing these engines with normal clutch fans, so went searching on Lextreme and a GT40 forum and found part numbers and what not, but think this option might be tricky as wreckers are probably going to be relucant to part out a 1UZ and buying the assembly geninue might be expensive,

Some pics and details of swapping the pulley's

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-rcr70-p4-mkiv/22685-1uzfe-superlite-coupe-ideas-3.html

But, this is what I was looking for - I thought you may have an alternate solution :-)!!!

Yeah the engine is from a soarer, I haven't actually fixed up the hydraulic fan setup yet. I plan to just pull it apart and take out the parts for pumping the hydraulic oil. There are a couple of posts on Lextreme about doing this.

I have made up fibreglass shrouds for both the hydraulic fan and a 16" Spal, but it is really going to tricky to stuff all the hydraulic lines, cooler and overflow bottle at the front of the car - so at this stage, I am quite keen to use the thermo fan, unless I turbo the engine I doubt I will have cooling issues anyways so the thermo should keep it cool enough!

I will have a look of Lextreme, thanks for the information mate :-)!

Found the instructions from Lextreme!

Oh, and you do not need to remove the pump from the block and all the plastic crap around the engine to do this job, it is so easy and goes like this- remove the stock hydraulic fan and radiator, remove the serp belt, turn bolt on pully (lefty!!!)and remove. Then find the stongest puller tool you can and POP off that pulley. Remove 6 bolts and the pump comes apart and the two vains just slide out, re-assemble pump and it is solid and turns freely...Then fill pump half way with fluid to keep the bearings lubed and then plug the two in and out lines located at the block that is it... Reinstall the pulley, serp belt and your electric fan. Job over...oh and then you can remove all the stock cooler and hose crap under the battery....and looking over the stock pump I do think this will free up horsepower in what contrary to what some people may think and also weight reduction. ....Thank you everyone for the help, I hope these pictures help others to come...

Hey mate, thanks for that info. It doesn't sound like it should be too hard going by that description. When I am able to work on the car again, doing this and changing the water pump and timing belt will be one of the first things on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Marc,

How do you get the passenger side exhaust flange off?

It is connected to the oil dipstick and for the life of me I can't see how you would get the manifold off without having to pull the oil dipstick out, which would most likely require popping the sump off!

It can't be that idiotic :-)!

From memory to get the passenger (for Aus guys) exhaust off there is a bolt that holds dipstick near the top. All you should have to do is undo the bolt and then once you have all of the bolts undone on the exhaust flange you can pull the header off the studs and then slide it up over the dipstick. Otherwise the bottom of the dipstick is just pushed into the sump at the bottom and there is just an o-ring sealing it. So you can easily pull the whole dipstick out from the sump without having to take anything apart.

I hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, it's nice to know there are some people actually following this. Although I've only just got back from working overseas for a couple of months and the car is still in storage. I still have to find a new place to live and get set up again, so I don't think there will be any real updates until December or January.... But stay tuned and I'll post as soon as I've got something to share!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey everyone, it's nice to know there are some people actually following this. Although I've only just got back from working overseas for a couple of months and the car is still in storage. I still have to find a new place to live and get set up again, so I don't think there will be any real updates until December or January.... But stay tuned and I'll post as soon as I've got something to share!

Ok, sounds good! Keep us posted, and hopefully we'll keep you motivated to get her done!

Best regards from Sweden.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates mate? Still love to see some pics of your custom headers :-)!

How did you find the Soarer Bible mate?

My car is still at my parents place in Canberra, so I've only been able to do a bit of work here and there. I've ceramic coated and fitted the headers and also checked all of the wiring for the engine and it all seems to be ok. I've also fixed up the power steering and cooling lines as well as a few other minor things like setup the wiring for thermo fans. I'll try to get a more detailed post up soon with some pics.

Good news is that I now have a place in Sydney and will be bringing the car up after easter. So hopefully not long now till it runs!

• 1 month later...

I know I've been promising to put an update up with pics for a while now, just that I've been spending any spare time on the car and havn't made the time... But the good news is IT FINALLY RUNS!!! I fired it up for the first time tonight and seeing as it only has the headers on, it is bloody loud! I love the sound although my neighbours may not quite agree... :-D

I'm not going to run it too much, so I can try to keep the neighbours onside, but I'll try to take a video on the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'd promised I'd take a video of the car on start up and here it is. You can hear that is is running pretty rough as it first gets going and this is because the injectors were blocked for a while. When I first tried cranking it, it didn't want to fire into life. I had spark at the spark plugs and fuel pressure at the rail, so I thought it must have been my wiring changes that I had made causing the problem. After a couple of nights going over the wiring and finding nothing wrong, I found the injectors were not clicking. A couple of other guy on Lextreme had problems with their injectors sticking closed after the engine sat for a while. Sure enough this was my problem too...

So after sitting there tapping the injector to ground for about 10mins in each injector they eventually freed themselves. I should probably take them out and have them cleaned properly, but I'm going to concentrate on other things first.

Right now I am building the rest of the exhaust which is a little tricky as I've gotta fit the two cats in there and I don't want them hanging down under the chassis rails... I've also found an AP racing master cylinder that looks like it has solved my clutch issues. So I just need to get these sorted and a tailshaft and then it should actually be able to move under it's own power!

Anyway for now enjoy the video!

th_MOV05078.jpg