HybridZ

Help IDing this Holley (dialup beware)

award280

Hey gang.

I need some help figuring out what Holley I have here. I've gotten the all the numbers that are stamped on the thing and the closest I could find was a 580 that was sold on the 66-67 Corvettes. But when I got the rebuild kit for that carb, it turned out it wasn't for a matching carb. If any of you guys could point me in the right direction so I can finally get this thing tuned. If I slowly accelerate, it is fine, but it I get on it, it falls on its face. I'm not sure if I'm running lean or rich or whatever. Anyway, before I digress any further....

carb002.jpg

carb004.jpg

carb006.jpg

If any of you guys could tell me which adjustment screw is for the idle and which one is for the power circuit.

I have one similar to that in the shop model 4160, vacuum secondary carb, probably a 600 cfm although they made those up to 770 cfm for performance cars. The little screws on the side of the metering plate are for idle mixture, there is no other mixture screw on it. Yours looks like the choke horn was milled off, so the list number is gone.

Do you get a strong pump shot when you wack the throttle? Have you set your wet fuel level correctly...while ideling? Do you have the correct power valves installed. Is the correct vacuum secondary spring installed? From the pics, it looks like you have 2 primary meetering blocks installed!!!!both have idle mixture screws!!!! I've never seen that. I DO NOT beleive that is correct.

That is correct, the secondary metering plate is necessary. It's bogging is my guess, way lean probably because its not getting fuel in the secondaries. I have the whole carb. It needs a kit but it's all there, $50 plus shipping. I have a non-center feed vacuum secondary as well, also needs a kit, $75.

After looking at the pictures a bit more, it's obvious you have a seriously bastardized carb. No choke..due to removal of air horn, later model plastic vac. cap. fuel tube with misplaced O ring seals. (strong risk of fuel leak) . A real fire hazard. Don't ask me how I know.

Do yourself a favor and get another carb.

What size engine is this for? Mods???. DO NOT oversize the cfm. All you will get is poor performance , problems and bad fuel economy!

Yeah, I kind of did the same thing. Looked at the carb to ID it rather than really look at it in detail. The choke horn was removed with a hack saw. I've never seen a 4160 with 4 corner idle so Jasper is probably right on the metering plate. IIRC you can't switch that out on these carbs as they are size specific to cfm. If you give some specifics on motor size, mods, vehicle, weight, intended usage etc., you'll get some advice.

IMO I'd go with another type of carb the model 4150 vacuum secondary. I've never been a fan of the side hung float model 4160.