HybridZ

1jz or 2jz how do I tell the differance?

TONY C

Ok. so this guy wants to trade me a 93 Lexus sc300 with what he says is a 1jz tt swap converted to a single turbo for my Suzuki tl1000r

the car needs finishing. Wiring and pipeing etc. I know nothing about Toyotas, I'm a Datto man. But I like the look of the Lexus.

He claims the motor is a 94 JDM tt. But from what I have read a 94 should be a 2jz.

How do I visually tell the differance.? here are some pics what do you guys think the car is worth finished?

1jzor2jz.jpg

011614010404010305200805120a4419022.jpg

There are plenty of little things to distinguish them. For starters, a 2JZ is a 3.0 (3000cc) engine whereas the 1JZ is a 2.5 (2500cc) engine. See that "2500" on the cam cover? Also, in the US, the SC300's never came turbocharged from the factory. They only came with the non-turbo variant of the 2JZ, the 2JZ-GTE.

It is clear he did the ever-popular 1JZ-GTE swap, so it's essentially the same car as the Toyota Soarer in Japan. It's a very straight-forward swap.

• 5 weeks later...
There are plenty of little things to distinguish them. For starters, a 2JZ is a 3.0 (3000cc) engine whereas the 1JZ is a 2.5 (2500cc) engine. See that "2500" on the cam cover? Also, in the US, the SC300's never came turbocharged from the factory. They only came with the non-turbo variant of the 2JZ, the 2JZ-GTE.

It is clear he did the ever-popular 1JZ-GTE swap, so it's essentially the same car as the Toyota Soarer in Japan. It's a very straight-forward swap.

it was not a 2jz-gte, the non turbo is a 2jz-ge. the T is for turbo.

Well I ended up trading for the car. I've had it for a little over 30 days now.

I've done alot and it is now very close to being done.

Just a couple pics for you guys.

And NO! I am not jumping ship. This 1 is for my wife. At least till summer is over. Then I will prolly sell it or trade it.

It's boosting 15psi and is lightly tuned with an Apexi S-afc. Still waiting on my JAW wideband to go all out on the tuning. Went Tial 60mm wg and 50mm bov. 3" intercooler and piping. Spec 2 pp and 6 puck disc and Fidenza flywheel. bla bla bla so what. anyway here's some curent pics.

1j.jpg

sweetnlow.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

and my home made PVC pipe gauge holder

DSCF0010.jpg