HybridZ

Custom Intake- How much can the stock ECU handle?

Challenger

many industrial hardware stores sell heavy-duty flexible shafts---sometimes they have a small jacobs chuck on the end, other times they have a nice, standard 1/4" collet on the end.

With a simple 1/4 X 5/8" locking shaft adapter you can connect that flexible shaft to an old washing machine motor and hog the HELL out of ports with a bit like MONZTER showed. The speed is only 3500 rpms, but the amount of pressure and feed rate you can use is amazing. I made one of these setups in 1985, and to this day still use it (though lament my original Japanese Flex Shaft has about had it now...)

MUCH easier to control than a bulky drill, probably not as nice as a dremel, but then again you can't spin a 1 3/8" diameter 80 Grit Flapper Wheel and just force it down the runner bores to clean them up with a dremel now...can you?

I love my Washing-Machine Motor Monstrosity. Everybody that sees it seems to like it. The Japanese used them in the shops---recycle something like the old 3/4 horse washer motor and a cheap flexible shaft...much cheaper than a bulky electric die grinder (though I confess last time Harbor Freight had those electric die grinders on sale for $19.99 I bought TWO!---man they work fast!)

But for a beginner, that nice slow motor and shaft speed allows you a lot of room for a mistake---and you don't easily gouge a 1/4" deep groove across the face of the workpiece if it catches and runs away on you!

Just a thought. I'm thinking everything but the motor is probably available through McMaster-Carr for shipping right to your door (including the burrs!)

Well I got my Ultrafuse today and really quickly tried to fill one of the small holes. Apparently my torch isnt up to par and couldnt even melt the rod.... Ill have to go get a new thing of propane to try it again.

Back to homework...

Well Ive kind of realized I dont have any of the tools I need to finish this up. I really dont trust the alumilloy stuff, and I have no way to port the thing out. The more I look at it the more I want to go have someone weld it up (expensive) and I should be spending money on getting my car running rather then performance parts that might not even work (reason for the thread, might not work with stock ecu)

So if anyone wants this Id sell it for $25+ shipping. This would be REALLY easy to finish if you have the tools.

Oh man bro dont give up you're on a roll!!

Just get a little dremel tool and a nice torch and you'll have yourself a sweet custom intake that YOU did all on your own. I cant see why this wouldn't work. Its kinda like running the N42 manifold on stock ecu and that was just fine for me. But man I want to see you pull this off!!

• 11 months later...

Hey guys, might be trying this again!!

Ive got a little more experience under my belt, and I might be able to convince myself to use jb weld to seal it up. :) Ive also got an intake that doesnt have all the holes the turbo intake does... I also have a turbo car I can switch out intakes on within a couple hours to test it out.

IMG_24871.JPG

Ive got this to work with...

Holy cow, I just went digging for this thread on a search for another thread, and suddenly realized that you had updated it this morning and I could have found it simply by going to my subscriptions list..... D'oh!!