HybridZ

Master Engine Builder

twainhart

OK - did the searching and really can't find a specific answer. I've started the RB25DET swap into the 71 240Z - what I need to get some feedback on is - does anyone know of a master engine builder in California (or elsewhere) that can do the stroker kit (Crower)? Anyone on here done this? results? recommendations? Appreciate your input - thanks

Any competent engine builder should be able to pull off the task..... a stroker kit is really no more difficult that a regular engine rebuild.......

Contrare my friend, it is so much more critical than you imagine. Everything is different, and has to be checked to ensure correct fitment. When doing strokers, pistons, crank and rods are usually all custom. Just because it says custom doesn't mean it's right and will work. Piston to valve clearances, crank to block, etc, etc. It can be alot of work depending on the motor and the amount of stroke increase.

Contrare my friend, it is so much more critical than you imagine. Everything is different, and has to be checked to ensure correct fitment. When doing strokers, pistons, crank and rods are usually all custom. Just because it says custom doesn't mean it's right and will work. Piston to valve clearances, crank to block, etc, etc. It can be alot of work depending on the motor and the amount of stroke increase.

My apologies, I guess I assumed that any 'competent' builder checked those things........at least I do.......I plastiguage everything.......

My last buildup was a high compression LS1 and we even had to fly-cut the pistons, thats how tight the tolerances are :)

My apologies, I guess I assumed that any 'competent' builder checked those things........at least I do.......I plastiguage everything.......

My last buildup was a high compression LS1 and we even had to fly-cut the pistons, thats how tight the tolerances are :)

Everything, wow, must share the techniques for using plastiguage for everything. I've used it when there was nothing else. But mostly I use bore gauges, inside mic's, snap gauges, outside mic's, depth mics and the like. They are truly indespensible items that take some time to accumulate due to cost IMO. You can pick them up at flea markets and some auctions, just make sure the standards are included.

Sounds like big domes in that bad boy and alot of fun!

not to mention that a lot of things can be improbably casted from factory.

lifter bores on a SBC? offset by as much as 1/8 inch for example... if not more.

push rods hitting one half of the lifter isn't my idea of a safe bet, especially since they form an S shape under high load.

combustion chamber head volumes and piston compression ratio calculations from parts manufacturers are always off too. je says its 62cc, arias says its 63cc, wiseco says its 64cc.... and those are close tolerance RB heads. The fuel and ignition system has to compensate somewhere, and that's something a "machinist" wouldn't bother thinking about.

I think you're looking for a proper engineer. Someone, whom given some parts, can make them work as intended.

I'm sure your engine was done properly, Andy... but you probably know better than a lot of competent machinists who are good at rebuilding engines for dealerships and such, or since it's yours and you have the tools you care a lot more. some will just have at the money and consider the job just like any other, when in fact there is more work custom involved, as I'm sure you know and have performed.

It's just hard to choose, and I'm sure it's been like that since people started modding engines. If only it werent so damn 'spensive!

All of this talk is really great - but why hijack the thread and help a guy out with answering the questions - I really do need the help.

technically it's not a hijack. as you can see, some people have differing opinions on what makes a machinist a worthy person to handle your engine, and hand your money and parts/investment to.

we're stating things to look out for, and you can see it in person if they let you stick around for an hour or so, and check out their equipment like they WANT to build your engine using the proper techniques...

just in case you can't get a good lead from someone on the internet. a good tip is to go to a race engine builder and ask them who their machinist is, or go to a machinist and ask them how many race winning vehicles they worked on and what they did, and how many times it took them to get it right.

:wink:

All of this talk is really great - but why hijack the thread and help a guy out with answering the questions - I really do need the help.

MY friend you are in for a big surprise. If you have never built an rb motor (that's kinda what it sounds like) you are in for a big surprise. If you find a PRO, that can build a quality built rb motor you are going to pay out the ass.

You could send it to me. LOL

Actually it would probably be chaeaper to buy another one here than pay the two-way shipping...

Seriously, if you have the FSM, any good builder could rebuild it. The only time "RB specific" comes into the picture is when doing heavy mods. Even then, you could study up on it and tell them what you want.

MY friend you are in for a big surprise. If you have never built an rb motor (that's kinda what it sounds like) you are in for a big surprise. If you find a PRO, that can build a quility built rb motor you are going to pay out the ass.

Well, uh, that's pretty straight up now don't you think! :lol: Nothing like the naked truth stony. :2thumbs:

Seriously, if you have the FSM, any good builder could rebuild it. The only time "RB specific" comes into the picture is when doing heavy mods. Even then, you could study up on it and tell them what you want.

I think the point is that a machine shop can tell you it's done right but you'll never know unless you check it yourself and if you don't have the tools or knowhow, your up the perverbial creek without a paddle and all your $$$ is going down the drain cause you'll do it all over again.

I can't tell you how many times the machine shop has screwed up, just ask grumpy, I'm sure he'll chime in. All I can say is you have to check it yourself so YOU KNOW IT'S RIGHT! It pains me to see how many members on here get shafted and how much $$$ and aggravation go with it.

Thanks all for you opinions - in reference to the "hi-jack" I had asked for suggestions on a master engineer builder and if anyone had experience with a stroked rb25DET -

Thanks Stealth-Z

Not trying to be a hard ass just looking for a machine shop that someone has had a good experience with. If you guys don't know then who does?

• 2 weeks later...
OK - did the searching and really can't find a specific answer. I've started the RB25DET swap into the 71 240Z - what I need to get some feedback on is - does anyone know of a master engine builder in California (or elsewhere) that can do the stroker kit (Crower)? Anyone on here done this? results? recommendations? Appreciate your input - thanks

Umm..a little late to chime in, but Rob at Z Car Garage. If you are not sure who he is his car was featured in Import Tuner I Believe. The green Z. only problem is he's really REALLY expensive. but worth the price. or so I have been told from every Z person I have met.Here's a link to his site.

http://www.zcargarage.com/

How expensive? Okay here's my experience. I called him asking to do a L28et swap in my 75 280Z. I was going to provide a donor car which had the engine, tranny and everything else. He said swap was going to cost at least 5000 but this was a year ago.