HybridZ

Really proud of my 12 yr old son

kirkatwork

My son is a straight A 6th grade student (I know, it's still early), and he's in the advanced math and Literature classes. He gets his math-ability from his mother.

As part of the advanced classes they let him take the SAT college placement tests this year and he scored 500 in math and 540 in critical reading.

In 2007 college bound seniors (12th graders) averaged

Critical reading: 502

Mathematics: 515

I'm really proud of him.

Isnt it amazing how all the children are smarter ? they say the dna is changing in "newer humans" and test scores are going threw the roof I know a few teachers and they say its almost scary how smart kids are now like a huges leap year to year, and we know its not our school system. Our teachers are here. =)

Encourage and support him. Don't push him. I've seen may smart high school kids burn out under of the pressure of AP courses and a heavy load.

Congrats on the smart kid!

My son is a straight A 6th grade student (I know, it's still early), and he's in the advanced math and Literature classes. He gets his math-ability from his mother.

As part of the advanced classes they let him take the SAT college placement tests this year and he scored 500 in math and 540 in critical reading.

In 2007 college bound seniors (12th graders) averaged

Critical reading: 502

Mathematics: 515

I'm really proud of him.

Thanks guys. You are right Mark, I have to be careful. When he tells me he got a "B" I have to work hard not to be critical (hypocritical in my case) because I know he could do better. I try to be as straight with him as possible. I rely on the old "I want you to always do the best you can" a lot.

I agree you don't want to push your son, but make sure he stays engaged in school and most importantly learns how to study. I just finished my freshman year of college and barely scraped together a 3.0 GPA. I lost my full tuition scholarship and my honors scholarship because I didn't know how to study. I was offered a chance to take the SAT in middle school like your son but didn't for one reason or the other. Throughout high school I NEVER studied because I didn't have to. I wasn't straight A, but had a 3.8 something GPA at graduation. I just drifted through and did the minimum to get by but never had to work very hard. My first semester of college I finished with a 2.4 GPA because I didn't do ANY homework or studying. The first half of the semester I just didn't because it wasn't required, but by midterm when I realized I had Cs in three of my classes I tried to study but really didn't know how. All this is still a ways off for you son, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Congrats on your son's test score, it must make you proud

Ben

Thanks guys. You are right Mark, I have to be careful. When he tells me he got a "B" I have to work hard not to be critical (hypocritical in my case) because I know he could do better. I try to be as straight with him as possible. I rely on the old "I want you to always do the best you can" a lot.

Parenting is HARD! Hang in there and enjoy it. They grow up way too fast.

I agree you don't want to push your son, but make sure he stays engaged in school and most importantly learns how to study. I just finished my freshman year of college and barely scraped together a 3.0 GPA. I lost my full tuition scholarship and my honors scholarship because I didn't know how to study. I was offered a chance to take the SAT in middle school like your son but didn't for one reason or the other. Throughout high school I NEVER studied because I didn't have to. I wasn't straight A, but had a 3.8 something GPA at graduation. I just drifted through and did the minimum to get by but never had to work very hard. My first semester of college I finished with a 2.4 GPA because I didn't do ANY homework or studying. The first half of the semester I just didn't because it wasn't required, but by midterm when I realized I had Cs in three of my classes I tried to study but really didn't know how. All this is still a ways off for you son, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Congrats on your son's test score, it must make you proud

Ben

I'll second that. I'll admit, I am a bit of a slacker in school. I have never had consistently good grades, even though I am perfectly capable of them. I did exactly what you did, the bare minimum. Fortunately, I did manage to figure out at least one of the ways I learn things, which is by actually doing problems, etc. Definitely make sure he learns how to study though. I wish I had tried harder.

Congrats to your son though. That's impressive for a 6th grader. I think that's about what I got when I took the PSATs as a 10th grader, 2 years ago.

Guest Black_MKII

wow,thats somthing to be proud of...

as the guys said, don't push him too much, i used to be like that till my parents nagged the hell out of me to study every 15 minutes a day till the point that i don't really care...

anyway, when he grows up, BUY HIM A Z!!!!

Thats awesome. Being only 25 I can remember what it was like in school and such. I actually enjoyed school (until university) and my parents were supportive of me during it and I think that was what kept me into it. I too was a math kid as I always loved numbers and money. I'm sure that your son will do very well if he's got this good of a start.

I'm kind of glad you've got a son who uses his smarts to the best of his ability and likes to show his parents that his hard work is something he's proud of.

My father is pretty reserved, and if I tell him I got an A, he'd just say "thats the way it should be", because my brother would get "A"s based on his conformity, and not based on the challenges he brought forth to his instructors like I did, which made my marks drop because it wasn't to "code" or whatever.

It's kinda iffy too.

I was part of the "gifted" program. Scored 95's or higher on the aptitude tests. Got a 4 out of a possible 4 GPA in college...

And if someone were to mention to my dad that they needed something that I am considered a "professional" at doing... He would probably just have a conversation about how good of a marketing tool the item in question can be, and wouldn't mention that I do that stuff.

I think he's sorta dissapointed that I didn't get into AC/DC motors like he taught for 32 years. But still, he could at least be a little more open about his appreciation for my hard work!

LET HIM KNOW YOU'RE PROUD! :D

show him this thread