HybridZ

Richmond transmissions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone consider using one of the Richmond 5 or 6 speed trannies? I know they have a fair amount of ratios to choose from, and they seem to be built pretty stout. Just an idea I am tossing around.

Guest Anonymous

They cost nearly double what a T56 6 spd will cost you, and are external rod shifted transmissions which may cause a bit of a problem when you have the shifter coming out on the side of the transmission tunnel. I'm not saying they are'nt good, just expensive.

Regards,

Lone

I have a Richmond 5-speed behind the Chevy big block in my '78 280Z.

pros: incredibly strong (reputed to be the strongest shaft-gear manual transmissions, bar none); deep first gear; external shifter can be moved around for customized relocation; fit standard GM stuff, like Lakewood bellhousings and the GM 26-spline tranny shaft.

cons: very notchy and heavy shifter, if the shifting linkages are professionally assembled - and impossible to shift otherwise, due to (among other things) manufacturing defects; no overdrive in the 5-speed, relatively deep overdrive in the 6-speed; expensive; shifter linkage will involve transmission tunnel mods, even in a 280Z.

Richmonds are the natural replacement for a muscle car originally equiped with the Muncie series of transmissions. I do NOT recommend them for V8 Datsuns, unless you plan on running much, much greater than 500 hp.