HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

After three header designs this one is going to stick. The motor has already been started so i'm not worried about that. Hopefully it'll be on the road tuning in a few weeks after i get my water/meth kit, then to the dyno, then to the track. =)

DSCF0007_thumb.JPG

DSCF0008_thumb.JPG

DSCF0009_thumb.JPG

DSCF0010_thumb.JPG

DSCF0011_thumb.JPG

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! I'm really surprised at how much room you have made with the removal of the radiator support. How are you going to reattach it? Weld or bolt in?

Is it going to be intercooled at all?

I'm working on the top radiator support now. Its probably going to be bolt in. I bought an A/A intercooler and was plan on running it but its just too much trouble and not enough room. I'm going to run a water/meth kit. I was researching on turbo mustang boards and they said a/a really arent all that great. They're fine for driving on the street, but alot of guys a/a get heat soaked at the track and the water/meth kit will lower inlet temps probably more than an a/a.

Are those the ssautochrome headers? Looks good.

James

They say X2 power on, but i think they're all the same. I bought these from a guy on ebay that had them for his s10 but the headers were to long. They're stainless steel and i only paid 140 for them so we'll see how they last.

Did you have to modify them at all to make them fit. I Have a 280z with a small block and I was wondering if they would fit. Do you know how much difference there is between the zx and z engine compartment. This would help me out a alot of they did fit. Where are you gonna place the wastegate at?

James

Did you have to modify them at all to make them fit. I Have a 280z with a small block and I was wondering if they would fit. Do you know how much difference there is between the zx and z engine compartment. This would help me out a alot of they did fit. Where are you gonna place the wastegate at?

James

The link for the steering is the only place where i see the headers giving trouble. If i remember correctly the zx firewall is 3" further forward than a z. I'm going the place the wastegate on the left side of the water pump (alternator side). I'm actually working on that right now and just took a break for supper.

That guy is running those same headers. they work well.

same turbo too!..

but lighter car..

be ready for madness.

even 10 psi should be 650ish

edit: whats the specs on that camshaft?

camshaft is like 242@50 I and 248@ 50 E .595 lift E and .601 lift I with 1.6 rockers. I know the duration is around those numbers but i do remember the lift. I have it wrote down on a piece of paper with all the other engine specs in my chilton's book but i've seen to misplaced it somewhere in from moving the car between garages.

you cant make an intercooler fit anywhere ahead of the radiator?

no i have the radiator mounted forward and tilted back. If i ran a pin on hood i could probably put it on (because when the hood lifts up the front of it tilts down and in towards the radiator) but i want to run the stock hood to keep the "stock" look. The meth/water kit is alot easier and simpler and will do a better job cooling the air inlet temps. The car will run cooler too.

wow thats alot of motor in that car, whats the rest of the cars setup like?

i got suspension setup according to jnjdragracing. 3.54 lsd. 235 60 15 mt drag radials. manual valve powerglide.

interior is mainly stock minus the roll bar which i tried my best to hide (you cant see it from the side of the car and i'm going to tint the hatch and side windows) the autometer guages. I got sport comp so the dont look too fancy and they are in stock position. I'm using a pro stick mounted in stock location even with the stock boot.

engine. ported brodix track 1 heads, ss vavles, ss 1.6 rockers, isky tall red zone roller lifters, trickflow push rods, steel crank, scat rods and srp pistons. stock bore to help the block hold together. aeromotive fuel system. most everything else is in the sig. 8.8:1 compression

I'm only going to push to AT THE MOST 700 flywheel because i'm only going to run 10.00. I dont want to ruin the car with all the safety stuff so i'll just tune it to 10.00.

anything i'm missing?

Awesome project. What carb will you be using? One that's especially made for boost or one that you will just use regardless of preparation.

Davy

Thanks. I'm using a holley 750 hp race. Its setup for blowthrough. Its not that hard to do and takes about 30 minutes. I'm also making my own Boost Regulated PV so that should help it not to lean out during boost. I might just end up sending the carb to CSU but i've came this far and did everything myself so i'm going to try to figure this out too.

...I'm using a holley 750 hp race. Its setup for blowthrough. Its not that hard to do and takes about 30 minutes. I'm also making my own Boost Regulated PV so that should help it not to lean out during boost. I might just end up sending the carb to CSU but i've came this far and did everything myself so i'm going to try to figure this out too.

Well, my hat is off to you, sir! I think boost carbs sell for some serious cash. I have been thinking about the same type of setup (much less hp, but turbo carb V8) but didn't think about setting the 650 DP I have for boost myself...hmmm. Where did you find the info to do that? Any links?? Nice work--great learning experience if nothing else. Nice to see someone with cajones instead of just a credit card :mrgreen: Did I just say that? :D

Davy

Well, my hat is off to you, sir! I think boost carbs sell for some serious cash. I have been thinking about the same type of setup (much less hp, but turbo carb V8) but didn't think about setting the 650 DP I have for boost myself...hmmm. Where did you find the info to do that? Any links?? Nice work--great learning experience if nothing else. Nice to see someone with cajones instead of just a credit card :mrgreen: Did I just say that? :D

Davy

I thought i was going to get a bunch of replies like "you need a better bottom end" or something related to i'm not using enough high dollar parts. I personally think some poeple go too crazy on eninge parts and all that jazz for all the power they want out of it.

The carbs not all that expensive if you compare it to FI. If you already have a carb you send it out to CSU and they match it to your setup i think its around $450. And if your having problems you can just call them and they'll tell you what to do. They are real real good with blowthrough. Most poeple suggest a 750 and if your going over a 1000 (i think) then go with the 850.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110547.0

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51153.0