HybridZ

should I buy rusty 280ZXT?

ok so this will be my first post on this here forum after reading for days and days and i have decided that you guys are the bomb! (btw please forgive me of my horrable spelling and grammer i am dislexic). my Q for you guys is this... i have recently came into the chance of getting what i am told is an 82 i know for sure its a 28zxt checked it out a few days ago and it an l28t. the problem is when it stopped running 6 years ago (the guy has no clue why!) he parked it in a field and there it has sat for 6 years! when i popped the hood the grass popped up to be higher than the engine! the inside is rotted to all hell and i have no place to store it if i do get it from him! but its FREE! i just dont have time money or a place to put it untill i can work on it. anyone in the sacramento area of ca wanna give me a hand with this? i have always wanted a badd a$$ Zcar and now that i have a chance to get one i cant!

NO!.....you said you dont have the time. space or money, so whats the point. Save up and buy a driver, enjoy the car and then modify it when you can. Besides sounds like this is a parts car more than anything...quote.....""the inside is rotted to all hell""

well jerry if i were to build this car the interior would not be too much of an issue. i wouldnt be building this as a daily driver but more to be a beast of wich no one would want to f*ck with on the night scene, so i need inside is some beats and a seat and the car is automatic...

Changed your title. We want titles to be descriptive so that when people are looking to find information they don't have to open up the thread to know what it is about. Probably a good idea to read the rules again real quickly before you post again: http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=64&a=2

Thanks and welcome.

Don't take wooden nickels and don't take rusty Datsuns.

I love this quote.

I say leave it also based on the original post. not worth the hassel and frustration, heck even some runners aren't worth the headache associated with making them 'nice' again after they've sat for so long

Obviously, take the car since it's FREE, strip it down, store the motor & good parts somewhere in somebody's garage where it will sit for that project that will eventually use it! Sell the parts you won't need to recover the cost of towing the car, etc., After you do this several times, you still won't have a Z to drive, but you'll have so much potential! And you'll be in the same boat that I am in!!

well thank you guys for letting me know what you think... anyone in the area want a parts car? I'm in the sac valley up in lincoln

If it's sitting in the field ask if you can strip parts off it. Sell them on ebay or here and then call a scrapper to come get the rest.

If the current owner doesn't want this to happen offer him/her 40% of the take.

Then you can go at your own pace and make some money to boot! Think of future Z potential.

Off course keep the small parts if you have a small closet. Turbo, Wiring harness, Head, Exhaust manifold, oil pan, distributor, oil pump, oil pump drive spindle, Coil ignitor, Valve cover, fuel pump, CV axles, R200 rear end, ECU and associated wiring plugs, AFM and T5 transmission.

Well those are all the parts worth money, you may not get much else but scrap for the rest. :)

ok so i have come to the conclusion that if i do get this car the first thing i want to do is get it running than just make as much power as i can. i dont care how it looks i just want to convert it into a 5 spd and put the numbers down with as much boost as possible with out a whole bunch of money. i mean i would love to have a great looking car but a rust bucket that runs like a bat out of hell is way more fun that a 10 star looker that couldn't pass a school bus.

well if the car is all rusted out (really bad) ur gonna want to fix that u dont wanna have alot of power and once ur driving down the road your car breaks in half and all u got on your hand is the steering wheel.

Not unless it's herbie anyway :D

I'd say pull out the motor and stick it in the corner of your folks garage, save any other useful bits to plug into a later car in better condition, sell the rest. Sounds like a parts car to me.

Not unless it's herbie anyway :D

I'd say pull out the motor and stick it in the corner of your folks garage, save any other useful bits to plug into a later car in better condition, sell the rest. Sounds like a parts car to me.

lol ....herbieZ

ok so i have come to the conclusion that if i do get this car the first thing i want to do is get it running than just make as much power as i can. i dont care how it looks i just want to convert it into a 5 spd and put the numbers down with as much boost as possible with out a whole bunch of money. i mean i would love to have a great looking car but a rust bucket that runs like a bat out of hell is way more fun that a 10 star looker that couldn't pass a school bus.

Not getting the run on. Try a little structure to what you are saying.

Not getting the run on. Try a little structure to what you are saying.

:icon55: ok act 1: rip (not really more like pull) the car out of the field with my brothers truck

act 2: take out the motor and trans and rework it for as much power as i can

act 3: rework the chassis a bit to handle such power (i know i cant just put a bunch of power to it without working the rust issues i just dont care how it looks)

act 4: cruise the highway at midnight and find some prey!

and yes if i do come to the point where i decide i will not get the car i will let the first person who has already asked me where the car is know the location for a small fee maybe...

You called the car rotten.

Thats a common fate for a Datsun, and it means that the car...

I said, The Car

is shot to hell. You can re work the engine all you want, but you will be building a tube frame vehicle to make this a safe car. It is a unibody chassis, there are no big I beams running underneath that form a "frame" beyond the body itself.

To say that there is no saving a car in this condition is incorrect; not to mention the fact that I have not seen this vehicle.. but its not a Camaro. Its not a Mustang that you can drag out of a yard, throw some duct tape over the rust holes, and build a hotrod out of.

The car will bend in half the first time you lift one end with a jack!

Yes, you COULD dump tons of cash into welding new steel in for subframe members and floor pans and tranny tunnel and god knows what else.. but thats dumping insane amounts of cash into a rust bucket.

I LOVE these cars. Twenty minutes ago I made a post that a little part of me dies with every car that gets scrapped. That being said, this car sounds like SCRAP!

Grab the motor, maybe snag the wiring harness etc, definitely get all the engine accessories, grab what you would need to take any other Z and do the turbo swap! Wait for a chassis to show up without an engine, or with.. whatever. Finding a rusted out turbo means you get the gold from under the hood to throw into a solid chassis.

Finding a rusted out turbo, and stuffing some engine under the hood..... means you want to feel a vehicle fall apart around you at speed.