HybridZ

How easy is it to drop the fuel tank w/o assistance?

I've got a small leak somewhere on my fuel tank that lets fuel spill out if I fill my tank to within say a 5th of a gallon of the top, and I don't feel like waiting for an empty tank to fix the problem, so there's the question: How easy is it to drop the tank out of the car for one person? And what fuel lines/tank fittings/etc do I have to be careful of while I do it?

Well, its a cakewalk if its empty, not quite as easy if its got a decent amount of gas in it. Dropping it should be pretty easy with gas in it, putting it back up without help is the problem. I would recommend siphoning most of the gas out before you start.

Oh yeah, its also a good idea to support it with a jack if you drop it with gas in it.

Don't worry, I'm crazy, not stupid ;) I was going to support it with the jack for both the lowering and raising, since I have no desire to waste 4.50/gallon premium. Good to know it's easy though, since my roomates are all gone for the next two weeks, and I need SOMETHING to do to keep from going stir-crazy

Yep, just make sure you pull all the lines from the top of the tank and the filler neck first...it makes things easier to pull down...No I've never had any experience doing a tank by myself and thought the lines would be easier once it was loose...nope not at all.

Does yours have the drain plug? My 72 did, made it reeeeal easy once the tank was empty.

Put a jack under it, undo all the lines you see. Drop it a little ways, and then get the lines on top of the tank. Then let her down.

Should be as easy as that.

Don't forget that breather line that's right at the top of the tank. I did my tank myself pretty easily. Worst part was installing it; when putting on the filler hose. While you're lying underneath it wrestling, you have to balance it on one knee with the other hand trying to get the rubber filler neck hose on! Just don't forget to install the top breather hose when it's time to install!

Drain the gas. If you are so worried about wasting the gas, sell the car. You are going to spill the gas out of the driver side breather when you disconnect that vent line if you have over roughly 1/2 tank.

Also, you will need to drain the tank if you using a jack to lower it, as the tank will bend very easily. The metal is quite thin and the gas will make the tank rather heavy.

Drain the gas. If you are so worried about wasting the gas, sell the car. You are going to spill the gas out of the driver side breather when you disconnect that vent line if you have over roughly 1/2 tank.

Also, you will need to drain the tank if you using a jack to lower it, as the tank will bend very easily. The metal is quite thin and the gas will make the tank rather heavy.

Driving hard != wasting ;)

I'm going to be waiting to do this untill the tank is just about empty anyways.

Guest mr. datsun
I've got a small leak somewhere on my fuel tank that lets fuel spill out if I fill my tank to within say a 5th of a gallon of the top, and I don't feel like waiting for an empty tank to fix the problem, so there's the question: How easy is it to drop the tank out of the car for one person? And what fuel lines/tank fittings/etc do I have to be careful of while I do it?

I've found it's easier and a whole lot simpler to use a transmission scissor jack with a small 2X8 block of wood (so you won't dent or damage the tank). You can rent a tranny jack at any rental place (if they have one), and use a 1/2" rachet to lower and raise the tank slowly which is a god-send if you're working by yourself and can't get anyone to volunteer (we've all been there, right?).

There is also a mixture you can coat the inside of the tank with to seal up any pin hole leaks. The stuff is sold at motorcycle shops (I don't know what it's called). However, it goes in as a liquid and you roll it around the inside of the tank and it sets-up (cures) as a semi-flexible coating. Many use this stuff if they custom build their gas tanks and it works. Check it out. Also, look at your connections at the filler tube and the filler neck itself for any splits in the hose. Once you've done all of this, coat the outside of your tank with bed-liner spray to protect the outside of it before you re-install the tank back into your 'Z".

Hardest part of this job is the filler hose. I would cut and replace the various vent lines. They tend to be really dry and brittle anyway.

Shall we bet on where the leak is? My guess is that it's right where the spare tire well touches the tank at the 3 o'clock position. It's a quick fix if you have a welder.

had a buddy with a 260 and was driving behind him as we were taking a turn and watched his fuel spill all over the road due to brittle or dried filler hose which wasn't hard to replace but you should have a drain plug as stated earlier by austin 240z just remove the straps and vent lines

do you know where the gas is coming from?

had a buddy with a 260 and was driving behind him as we were taking a turn and watched his fuel spill all over the road due to brittle or dried filler hose which wasn't hard to replace but you should have a drain plug as stated earlier by austin 240z just remove the straps and vent lines

do you know where the gas is coming from?

towards the rear of the tank. Unfortunately, right now I need my car to often to have the time to drop the tank and JB weld the hole/replace whatever line is leaking. (I think it is a hole though, since it ONLY drips when I fill it up.)

Dropping it is now too bad. Draining your gas out will make it easy to do by yourself. The hard part for me was getting the filler hose off and put back on, other than that it was fairly easy. I had the car on jack stands and used a jack to hold the tank. Should be a few hours to fix it.

towards the rear of the tank. Unfortunately, right now I need my car to often to have the time to drop the tank and JB weld the hole/replace whatever line is leaking. (I think it is a hole though, since it ONLY drips when I fill it up.)

wow! your driving that Z for a daily driver dude how do you afford the gas!? i drove mine in high school when it was like a buck fifteen and was still hurtin couldn't imagine driven my 81 like that anymore

wow! your driving that Z for a daily driver dude how do you afford the gas!? i drove mine in high school when it was like a buck fifteen and was still hurtin couldn't imagine driven my 81 like that anymore

What makes you think I can afford the gas ;)

Nah, it isn't that bad right now, since I get right on the freeway whenever I drive anywhere. It's why I'm looking for a new job though that will give me more hours.

I really don't have a choice about DDing it either, as it's my only means of transportation :)

I've dropped the tank by myself with only a cheapo floor jack and chunk of wood to distribute the weight. The only difficult part of the ordeal was getting the straps back up far enough while trying to balance/shove the tank back in place (I did it with perhaps half a tank in there). Now I've learned my lesson and know how to align them better, and try to run it pretty dry before playing in the little black room that spews fumes. No weight = easy 1 man job with some wiggling.