HybridZ

signs of a bad booster

well, it seems i have a lovely brake issue on the 240. surprise i know. new pads all the way around. new master. original booster. no pedal. stops..... eventually. pulled the check valve out last night. blew thru both sides of it. no more checkin from the check valve.

im thinking the check valve is shot, obviously. i really don't feel the need to drop 400 bucks on a booster if it's a simple little 5 dollar check valve. any bright idea's?

Is there any brake fluid in that vacuum line? Proper bleeding of the system? You can get a booster for less. I used a later 280Z booster with a little modification. That was merely an experiment to see if it could be done. My original brakes worked fine. I also have that good 240Z booster in my garage I'd let go.

new check valve. has pedal pressure. still has to be on the floor to stop the damn thing. no air in the lines. power bleed the master a bit. ran out of fluid. so that maybe the issue. it's a bit better, just not where it should be in terms of pedal travel.

I have one of those small 240Z boosters and I paid big moolah (~$400) for it. By the time I got around to trying to install it I discovered that my early 260Z uses a different booster and my return time had elapsed from MSA... So I have a still in bag new or rebuilt (whatever MSA's $400 part is) booster.

make offer? lol. I'll take mucho smaller moolah for it than what I paid.

I fought a similar problem for years in my 280z. Turned out there was supposed to be some rubber seal (I think this is the reaction disc jmortensen mentioned) on the back of the rod that pushes into the master cylinder. Turns out mine had fallen off and was in the bottom of the booster. I couldn't get it out and did not feel like pulling the booster at the time so i glued a piece of rubber gasket material to the back of the push rod. Brakes have worked great since then.

my booster also went out two days ago another way to check your booster is to pump the brakes and hold it when the car is off then turn on the car(make sure your vaccuum lines are hooked up)if your booster is good the pedal should drop alittle if not they should be hard i mean really hard anywase i dont know how it is were you guys live but here in san diego auto zone sells a remanufactured one for $107 if you exchange your broken one you could get it for $89 bucks