HybridZ

Coolant Temp Sensor

ZDrifter

So I have been having trouble with cold start for a while now and I ignored it because it wasnt too big of an issue in Arizona but now in Oregon its really annoying taking 6 to 10 tries to finally get the ECU to give enough fuel to fire up the motor. So I was thinking of what it could be on the way home from work the other day... Well I know that the coolant temp sensor is a NTC sensor... So when you first turn your key on to start the car it takes a coolant temp reading. Well since I know that if the ECU doesnt see a signal it defaults to a reading of being cold. So I unplug and start the car, starts first try no problem at all. Alright, bad coolant temp sensor. So my question is does anyone know of a replacement for this part or a part number?? I know many parts can be switched over from a 300zx.... I know that the coolant temp sensor for the gauge can be switched with a toyota part so you can use your stock Z temp gauge but I need the sensor that sends the signal to the ECU. This part sits right on top of the Thermostat housing and has two wires. Thanks for any help.

So I just got the part and its the wrong one. I need the number for the two wire sensor coming off of the top of the thermostat housing. It sends the signal to the ecu when the key is first turned on to tell it if its cold or not.

are there two sensors there? because in the picture there are two, and perhaps they are in fact, different.

:-/ sorry man, I can't guarantee this stuff, I select thermostat, and look at where it goes, and you can see by the picture that the sensor i listed is there.

I'm now stuck too.

Having done the research and having got the toyota temp sender to power my stock temp gauge I have found it is much too wide to fit the temp sender hole in my RB26 GTR engine.

Can anyone confirm that the Toyota temp sender has worked on a RB26 as well as a RB25 because I am beginning to suspect that the reports of it working have been made by those running RB25s but not from people running an RB26 - anyone???

Thanks

OK. Lets carify two things.. There are TWO temperature senders. One for the gauge and one for the ECU. The one for the gauge is a one wire sensor(toyota sensor if you want to use it with your stock gauge). The other is a two wire sensor going to the ECU. I have a RB25 and I know the toyota sensor works because I am using it. I cannot say that it works for the RB26. So that being said maybe the thermostat housing is different. If you post a pic I would be able to tell you if you have the wrong sensor or if its a different thermo housing.

well if you're saying you see 2 sensors there, then the second numnber should be the one yuo're looking for ZDrifter.

Because whether or not it says "COOLANT" it has a picture of a sensor, which would be the second one you speak of. I can't guarantee but I have a hunch. Seeing as some of the skyline parts I've ordered had 4 letters from a 6 letter word, like "SPACER" comes up as SPAC sometimes.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone have more info on this Toyota temp sensor that makes the factory gauge work properly? I have an S13 in my car right now and it makes the gauge read quite a bit too high (operating temp when the car sat all night).

thanks,

Jared