HybridZ

5 Speed Transmission question

I have a question and wondered if any of you guys could help. I have not found what I'm looking for using the search. I know a guy who has a Z tranny that I could get very cheap. He thinks that it is a 5 speed but is not sure. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a 4 and 5 speed by looking at them? Any markings or numbering that would help? Any help would be most appreciated.

I had wondered the same thing, and found what I think is the answer in a for sale thread.

The 4 speed has two "nubs" ( for lack of a better description ) near the top of the tranny body, towards the back of the tranny. The 5-speed does not have these.

Pics courtosy of aziza z:

5-speed:

Photo_050408_001.jpg

4-speed, notice the two bumps or nubs towards the rear of the tranny, just behind the steel divider:

Photo_050408_002.jpg

This is the only evidence I've been able to find, through searches on here, and the interweebnet.

That's what I'd do, shift it through the gears. If it has five then its a five speed (seems simple enough). On another note though, there are three different 5 speed transmissions. The early style has two "ears" at the back of the trans near the underside of the shifter location, and the later style has only one. Then there was also a Borg Warner unit available which wouldn't look quite like the ones in the pictures above.

Try http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

Thats the link to the Z Transmission Calculator. It will tell you what differences there are between the transmissions as far as gear ratios are concerned. I personally run a '78 5 speed in mine because that's what it had when I bought it, although I wouldn't mind a better 5th gear ratio.

Also, read this for some more info on the 4 to 5 speed swap: http://www.geocities.com/jasonparuta/gearbox.html