HybridZ

ls1 wont run!!

Guest s20703

Guest s20703

Hi,

Im new to this site and dont have a Z, but am building a twin seater sports car from scratch with a ls1. All the running gear was removed from one car (a 2004 holden commodore SS) and has been put into our chassis.

This week we put a stand alone wiring harness from current performance in the car and everything plugged in perfectly. However, when cranked, its starts for about 2 sec and then cuts out. Every time.

We are running just the original PCM which has had the VATS removed, and no BCM or PIM (powertrain interface module). Had an autoelec have a look at it using a tech 2 diagnosis tool and showed that the PCM is not recieving a signal from the coded key. He says we need to put the PIM and the BCM back in to fix it.

Our problem is that the car didnt come with a key and since the ignition out of the original commodore has been sold. The auto elec pretty much told us he couldnt be bothered do it so was wondering if someone here can help? How do I get this thing running? without putting all the other crap in?

Thanks

It sounds like VATS was not disabled. Can you have some one locally verify that? The code from the key is how VATS works.

It would take a few minutes with LS 1 edit to turn off VATS.

Good luck

Guest s20703

Dont really have anyone local that can verify this, without them charging the earth. Would one of the vats bypass boxes work from ebay? The problem we have is the we have a current performance wiring loom, with only a 12 switched, 12 constant, tacho, speedo and engine check light wires coming out to the dash area. It would be hard to do one of the bypass boxes unless I know what pin the actual wires need to go to on the pcm, as i have none of the the original ignition wires? Thanks

Does this harness have an OBD2 plug? If so, buy one of the tuners that will allow you to edit the software in the pcm. I've got ls1 edit and it's pretty easy to do basic stuff like turn off O2 sentsors and disable the VATS.

Another option is to send the PCM out and have it done. There are plenty of places here that will do it. I'm sure you guys have similar operations down under.

Have you checked out ls1.com?

I agree. Most likely VATS is still active. If you don't have an OBD II port on that harness, IMO you should send it right back. It sounds like the guy plugged into your OBDII to get you that code. If that is the case. Find someone with a programmer, or buy one. Get to know some of the people in your area that work on LS motors. They will charge you, but not an arm and a leg. You will need to make other tweaks as well. Are you going to have the computer control the fans, etc. etc. If you don't want do get a programmer, decide on all of the changes you want made and have them all done at once. If you had someone program you PCM already, I would send it back in and tell them your problem. Good luck. Love the LS1! (but now I want an LS7)

Guest s20703

The diagnostic was plugged into an obd 2 port on the actual loom. I may have got ripped off when the guy said he deleted the vats system. Payed $200 not knowing it was so easily removed. Ill try and get into contact with him. Im wondering now what the actual PIM does as it acts as an interface between the body control module and the powertrain control module in the SS commodores and thats what the code was complaining about. Do the american pontiac gto's have such a module? Is it true that we may have to have the PIM and BCM back?

Thanks

Heres a pic of where we are up to on this car (it is going to be fully street registered

carpics045.jpg

Heres a pic of the single seater we completed that is fully street registered ( supercharged v6 with water to air intercooler and 14 psi boost) - goes as it weighs 750 kgs

P1010220.jpg

Guest s20703

Yeah, the gauges are standard but we cant figure out how to wire up the tacho and speedo. Can t find any diagrams on the actual instrument cluster that will tell us the colour of either the speedo or tacho wires. Any ideas? Thanks

hi i had guy in victoria modify my std commodore loom to suit install into my 240z name is Matt runs under the name injected holdens he is very helpful guy did great job with my loom and it fitted fine and would have fired up fine if 4 injectors had been working

its running fine now just tidying up other things before i fit exhaust and get my first real drive been up and down the road a couple times with exhaust straight out of extractors

your car sure looks awsome

with my loom matt gave me speedo output leads plus tacho feed

matts internet site is http://www.injectedholdens.com/

i do have a list of pins for std computer and what they do also wiring diagram on disc not sure if it covers dash or not if you want copy of either one let me know

pvt me if you want his mobile number

mick

Guest Dopey

Mate really easy, I had the same problem when I installed a remote start into my VX SS. The PIM grounds out the relay for the starter motor when it receives the key code. Just ground the relay out and you will be hunky dorey (provided VATS is also disabled).

That thing will be a beast! Another tip mate (as a tuner), ditch the MAF and have it mafless tuned, that way you can run a RAM style intake without the little MAF restricting the airflow.

What alot of people dont realise is the MAF is only used below 4k, once you get some decent air flowing into them they are useless..... When they tune it they can also disable VATS at the click of a button...