HybridZ

Cheap TIG welder-converting from robotic to manual use??

Hey guys. I have an opportunity to buy an incredible welder for a great price.

Basically this welder,

http://www.daihen-usa.com/products/wps/da300p.html

but a good bit older and at an incredible price. (MSRP of the new version is $7400...lol)

Here are some pics of the one I am looking at...

DSC00162_600x800.JPG

DSC00156_800x600.JPG

DSC00163_800x600.JPG

It can weld from DC 4-300 amps and do AC for aluminum 20-300 amps plus a bunch of goodies like crater filler control.

It also has a water cooler for a water cooled torch...(trust me, its quite nice after using an aircooled torch for a good long while..)

It was only used for robotic use but I would want to convert it over to manual use.

I think I'd be able to convert it over to use a standard TIG torch and foot control with some fiddling.

Any ideas, comments, or other random advice?

Unfortunately no pics of the output cables...

Another good thing is that the manufacurer is still in business for repair/maintinance parts.

OTM

Looks bad ass!

And the price is right!!! I would need about $400 in accessories to make it functional and then whatever fiddling to get everything hooked up. Bottle, TIG torch, ground cable, etc...

There is one downside... The welder isn't "older than me"... Oh well.

I'm fairly certain that the 1 (/) ahead of the voltage ranges indicates single phase, but I could be wrong on that.

What got me was the amperage requirements! 109A at 230V, 54.5 @ 460, and 43.5 @ 575... That's a lot of juice at any voltage!

Happy sparking!

Especially when compare to house Demands. Most houses over here (Australia 230V) only have a 63 A (Older houses) or 80 A (Newer Houses) Main switch. So effectively, you will be able to pull more load using that than an entire house over here. I think you better upgrade your Electricity supply.

It's single phase, but if you use it at home, it would be set to 230V @ 100A. So unless you have a 200A service and can find either 120A breaker or set it up using a disconnect with fuses, I won't recommend buy it. It's just to big for home use and will be a lot of hassle to get it running proper. Just my two cents.

It's single phase, but if you use it at home, it would be set to 230V @ 100A. So unless you have a 200A service and can find either 120A breaker or set it up using a disconnect with fuses, I won't recommend buy it. It's just to big for home use and will be a lot of hassle to get it running proper. Just my two cents.

not to mention the 2(/) al conductors needed man that is huge thats not even rating that welder at 125% as requires it to be rated as continuious duty though it may be a good deal when you kick that thing on your neighbors lights will dim 125 amp is the largest plug on breaker your going to be able to get should be good for that but you may want to do a bus extender into a 150 amp fuseable disconect

Although that welder needs big wiring, I doubt if you will often be welding stuff at 300 amps (so the line current shouldn't be way up there).

I'd talk to someone in the business as to the machines utility in a smaller shop (Beta Motorsports comes to mind... Sorry, John).:wink:

<>