HybridZ

83zxt wont start

onewildzr

Ok I have a 83zxt and I cant get the car to run. It cranks over it has spark and im getting an injector pulse with the noid lights.

I checked the fuel pump relay it checks out good with and with out 12v. I get power to the fuel pump but it doesn't turn on.

My question is were does the fuel pump get its ground from. I dont really want to trace the wire to the source.

The factory wiring diagram shows a chassis ground for the fuel pump. I've never worked on that particular fuel pump, but that usually means it grounds through the mounting bolts, but I supppose there could be a ground strap. Whatever, it grounds right at the pump. You could check it by attaching a jumper wire from the fuel pump body to the car chassis. If it's grounded, and 12v is being supplied by the relay, it should run. If not, it is bad.

you can check the fuel pump an easyer way than that, turn the key to the on position and you can hear it running, listin to the gas tank and see if you can hear it. when did the problem occur? did you do any modifications?

When I turn the key on the pump does nothing. So I had my uncle turn the key on and I checked the pump connections both sides have power for about 5 seconds. I grounded it and the pump turns on for those five seconds. Just want to know if the ground is from the ECU or from another source.

I recently installed a harness cause the harness that it had when I bought the car was butchered.

WHen you turn the key on, the pump operates for about 5 seconds then stops. This pressurizes the fuel lines.

Until the engine starts running, the fuel pump won't come on again.

I would get a fuel pressure gauge and check to see if you have the appropriate fuel pressure at time of cranking first.